Sign in to follow this  
Guest wintercon

FSX Stuttering issues

Guest wintercon

Hello guys,I just got myself FSX Deluxe and installed the game and then installed acceleration straight after. Now since I have a quite powerful laptop:Dual Core T93004GB Ram630GB HDDATI HD 3750 (512MB Ram)I bought the game as I used to fly fs2004(for year). Now I did not defrag the computer after the installation I went straight into the game and did the graphic settings.Now no matter what sort of options I choose I get for some weird reason stuttering effects when surrounding a lot of tress and in the winter season setup . In the other seasons it is working fine(except when in foggy situations) but not in the winter season,that happens when I roll on the ground the the designated runway and taking off,usually when I move the camera around my plane it stutters at some angles which is annoying cause the initial FPS is quite high and above 20 FPS. I also get stutterings when in fog situations like one of the missions.Now I did the autogen settings on Dense and have edited the fsx.cfg file and reduced the trees from 4500 to 2000 and the buildings from 3000 to 2000. Since SP2 to is automatically installed with the acceleration pack there are limitations with editing the cfg file that might cause problems.I want to have a SMOOTH flying experience,no matter the occasion.Please HELP!I am now defraging the computer,and hope for this issue to be resolved.Is there ANY other way to fix this issue?

Hello guys,I just got myself FSX Deluxe and installed the game and then installed acceleration straight after. Now since I have a quite powerful laptop:Dual Core T93004GB Ram630GB HDDATI HD 3750 (512MB Ram)I bought the game as I used to fly fs2004(for year). Now I did not defrag the computer after the installation I went straight into the game and did the graphic settings.Now no matter what sort of options I choose I get for some weird reason stuttering effects when surrounding a lot of tress and in the winter season setup . In the other seasons it is working fine(except when in foggy situations) but not in the winter season,that happens when I roll on the ground the the designated runway and taking off,usually when I move the camera around my plane it stutters at some angles which is annoying cause the initial FPS is quite high and above 20 FPS. I also get stutterings when in fog situations like one of the missions.Now I did the autogen settings on Dense and have edited the fsx.cfg file and reduced the trees from 4500 to 2000 and the buildings from 3000 to 2000. Since SP2 to is automatically installed with the acceleration pack there are limitations with editing the cfg file that might cause problems.I want to have a SMOOTH flying experience,no matter the occasion.Please HELP!I am now defraging the computer,and hope for this issue to be resolved.Is there ANY other way to fix this issue?
Are you flying with fixed fps, say 20 or 24 to start?Also, try lowering your scenery settings a bit and turn traffic down.Assume you've got shadows and bloom off etcOnce you find settings that work for you, you can selectively increase.Lastly, try staying inside the plane for a while. Outside views near airportscan cause a lot of scenery loading..

Bert

Guest wintercon
Are you flying with fixed fps, say 20 or 24 to start?Also, try lowering your scenery settings a bit and turn traffic down.Assume you've got shadows and bloom off etcOnce you find settings that work for you, you can selectively increase.Lastly, try staying inside the plane for a while. Outside views near airportscan cause a lot of scenery loading..
Since I am at work I am trying to describe my settings as best as I possible can to you guys in order to help me with this.----------GENERAL SETTINGS-----------Resolution : 1280x768 32BitTarget Frame Rate: UnlimitedFiltering: AnistrophicAA: OffGlobal Texture Resolution : Very HighLens Flare: OnLight Bloom: OffAdvanced animations: OnDX10 Preview: Off--------AIRCRAFT SETTINGS----------high resolution 3d cockpit: On2D Panel : 0%Aircraft casts shadows on ground: On(otherwise hard to determine how far till you touch down)Aircraft casts shadow on self: On---------SCENERY-----------Level of Detail : LargeMesh complexcity: 80Mesh Resolution: cant remember its pretty high but,3rd highest to the righttexture resolution: 3rd from the right.Water Effects: 2xMediumScenery complexity: the highest possibleAutogen density: Dense (with changes to the cfg file)Ground Scenery Shadows: OffSpecial effects detail: Medium------------Weather Tab----------------Cloud draw distance: around 70 somethingThermal visualisation: NoneCloud Detail: DetailedCloud coverage density: High----------Traffic Tab-----------Aircraft density: pretty highGeneral aviation:Pretty highairport vehilce density:very highRoad vehicles:50%Ships and ferries:85%leisure boats:100%This is all i know for now,I hope this helps and I hope that once the defrag is finished it will help stopping the stuttering.I also added the Bufferpools but that did not seem to fix the problem,it made it worse by the looks of it when set to 5000000Please help.

Guest wintercon

I am still awaiting some advice please as of how to tackle this stttuuuuttteeerrriiinnng problem when outside of my airplane and zooming around.I really want to see what I can change when I go home so I can implement those changes and hope for some improvement with the stuttering finally gone.I listed a detailed list as of what is turned on/off or was of what percentage it is set on.Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am about to buy REX so I dont want to make things worse. :(Please help,anyone,someone....please respond.

----------Traffic Tab-----------Aircraft density: pretty highGeneral aviation:Pretty highairport vehilce density:very highRoad vehicles:50%Ships and ferries:85%leisure boats:100%
Most of your settings are pretty normal, but the traffic settings are really way too high! Try aircraft and GA at 25% (for starters), airport vehicles at low or med, road at 10 or so, ships and boats at 25, something like that. See where that will get you.

Guest Bob Z

Starting around last October I got stuttering problems that I never had before and couldn't figure it out.I didn't make any major changes and I was even down to suspecting that the joystick had problems.When I installed the November Directx the stuttering problem went away. I can't say for sure if this is what fixed itbut it sure was a coincidence.Check to see if your Directx is up to date. It might be an easy fix.Bob Z

I had the same problems, updated the Saitex x52 flight control drivers and most of the stutters were cleared, still have some in replaybob

I am still awaiting some advice please as of how to tackle this stttuuuuttteeerrriiinnng problem when outside of my airplane and zooming around.I really want to see what I can change when I go home so I can implement those changes and hope for some improvement with the stuttering finally gone.I listed a detailed list as of what is turned on/off or was of what percentage it is set on.Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am about to buy REX so I dont want to make things worse. :(Please help,anyone,someone....please respond.
As mentioned above, your traffic settings are way high... also try limiting your framerate to 20, 24, or 30 as a test.

Bert

As mentioned above, your traffic settings are way high... also try limiting your framerate to 20, 24, or 30 as a test.
If that doesn't work, I'd be looking at these settings: Autogen density: Dense (with changes to the cfg file) <-------------------- down a notch - cpu relatedScenery complexity: the highest possible <---------------------------------down a notch - cpu relatedWater Effects: 2xMedium <-------------------------------------------try 2x low or even 1x - dependent on graphic card, 1x eliminates two-pass rendering

Regards, Kendall

Guest SkullxBones

Bufferpools casued major stuttering on my system (Q6600). I would eliminate it for now until you get things stabilized. With a decent system, unlimited FPS setting can also cause stuttering when you are in more FPS friendly areas like out in the boondocks away from major cities and large airports. If you see your FPS in these areas spiking high and low then you need to limit your FPS settings as others have said. In large urban areas you can set it back to unlimited.

Guest jshyluk

Also experiment with windowed mode versus full screen mode.My stutters went way when I put FSX on a different physical hard drive than the operating system, but that's not an option with your laptop. Defragging can help, though. You could try turning off advanced animations, as that can cause some delays on take-off and landing.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest wintercon

Ok guys,After the defregmention and have restarted the computer I have made some more changes.I have taken off the bufferpools from the cfg.file reduced the texture bandwidth from 400 to 50reduced the tress displayed in the cfg file to another 500(they look boring anyway)have set from anistrophic to trillinear AND, AND have finally installed REX,did the setup,restart.And guess what in the same mission it runs now so damn much better.The Water graphic settings I have set now to x2High and reduced the autogen to medium.I still stutters here and there sometimes but the inital stutters on rolling on the ground is now gone,and jeez the graphics dude..THE GRAPHICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg I have never ever seen so nice and highly detailed clouds and water and airports like that..I am blown away..And I have set the framerate to 30 and it runs just super duper fine with the FPS constantly over 20fps in every situation.I know my machine can do more as the CPU is quite powerful.I run Crysis in full settings in 1280x768 without issues.Nonetheless the stuttering here and there is really a bit weird.But it has now greatly reduced.

Guest wintercon

Besides just a note the issues do NOT appear in an area surrounding with a lot of buildings as i have that quite high the framerate remains stable but in that 2 missions the stutterings appear which is the one where you fly the secretary of defence around in a foggy situation around to show the blackbird,space shuttle etc. It the first mission after the training lessons.The other mission is the next one after it where you are in a 2 propeller aircraft which the flight time is 60 minutes and you have to fly from airport to airport dropping off apples as the snow is high,blablabla and f-18 flying over you and so on.Those two mission have as good as no buildings,there is just terrain. The apples mission has a lot of trees but nothing much else.In free flights over massive cities such as New York I have 0 stutterings.With in mind that the scenery complexity is on maximum and I have also ferries and traffic high due to realism.

Set up your computer per NickN settings.Install the flashing cloud fix. Huge eye candy fix for me!Set up your computer per NickN settings. (In case you changed something)These settings work very good for me. Give them a try and see how they work on your machine. Sometimes a good balance of settings, rather than some high soome low, will smooth things out. Good place to start.SETTINGS-DISPLAYGRAPHICSTarget Frame Rate: 30Full Screen Resolution: 1920x1200x32Filtering: AnsiotropicAnti-aliasing: Uncheck (Check if DX10 checked)Global texture resolution: Full RightPreview DirectX 10: UncheckLens Flare: Uncheck (Light hit but unrealistic)Light Bloom: Uncheck (Heavy hit)Advanced Animations: CheckedAIRCRAFTHigh resolution 3-D virtual cockpit: Check2-D panel transparency (%): 0Aircraft casts shadows on the ground: UncheckAircraft casts shadows on itself: UncheckAircraft landing-lights illuminate ground: CheckSCENERYLevel of detail radius: Full RightMesh complexity: Full RightMesh resolution: 10mTexture resolution: Full RightWater effects: Low 2.xLand detail textures: CheckedScenery complexity: Full RightAutogen density: Full RightGround scenery shadows: UncheckedSpecial effects detail: Full RightWEATHERcloud draw distance: 70miRate at which weather changes over time: MediumDetailed clouds: CheckedCloud coverage density: Full RightTRAFFICAirline traffic density (%): 59General aviation traffic density (%): 59Airport vehicle density: LowRoad vehicle (%): 20Shipes and ferries (%): 40Leisure boats (%): 20System:Dell XPS 720 H2CIntel Quad Core Extreme QX6800 2.93 @ 3.73GHz4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator EPP 8500C5D FSB 800MHz @ 1066MHz2x160GB WD SATA Raptors, Sound Blaster X-FiNvidia 2x8800GTX 768MB SLI, Dell 2407WFP PanelXP driver: 169.21, Vista driver: 169.25Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G5 Mouse, Saitek X52WinXP Media Edition SP3 on C: (SATA 0) w/ Internet/AV/Office/FS9/Falcon4 AFVista SP1 on D: (SATA 1) (Dual Boot) w/FSX3DMark06: 17,018/6992/7123/5667

I really believe there is a problem in the views of FSX that causes stuttering. I have tried so many things to get FSX to run buttery smooth. I've locked the frame rate and unlocked the frame rate. I've used Nick's guide for configuring. My frame rate rarely dips below 20 in large cities, yet I still have stuttering issues in two main areas:1) Spot view when the view is not set to "outside locked"2) Instant replay in a variety of views, including tower, spot, and wing viewsWhen in the VC I have no stutters. It's only exterior views that seem to be problematic. This is still frustrating, and I have not found anything to help. One would think that the views would perhaps be affected by a low frame rate, but in my experience this is not the case. It happens even at very high frame rates.I reinstalled FS9 to test and none of these problems exist. I really like what FSX brings to the table as far as the increased resolutions, but I have to say that FS9 seems to be a more "reliable" platform out of the box. FSX will be what we need to focus on going forward, and I hope that we all can get it working well. As an early adopter of FSX and Acceleration, I spent nearly $100 on the software only to have problems that should not exist. On my next system build, I will use a hard drive devoted solely to FSX. I think there are benefits to that and they will hopefully help with the view problems. Perhaps my issue is nothing more than Vista and FSX competing on the same drive. I think I will save FSX for the next build and keep FS9 on my current rig, against my will. :( My .02,Scott