Sign in to follow this  
Guest wintercon

FSX Stuttering issues

I really believe there is a problem in the views of FSX that causes stuttering. I have tried so many things to get FSX to run buttery smooth. I've locked the frame rate and unlocked the frame rate. I've used Nick's guide for configuring. My frame rate rarely dips below 20 in large cities, yet I still have stuttering issues in two main areas:1) Spot view when the view is not set to "outside locked"2) Instant replay in a variety of views, including tower, spot, and wing viewsWhen in the VC I have no stutters. It's only exterior views that seem to be problematic. This is still frustrating, and I have not found anything to help. One would think that the views would perhaps be affected by a low frame rate, but in my experience this is not the case. It happens even at very high frame rates.I reinstalled FS9 to test and none of these problems exist. I really like what FSX brings to the table as far as the increased resolutions, but I have to say that FS9 seems to be a more "reliable" platform out of the box. FSX will be what we need to focus on going forward, and I hope that we all can get it working well. As an early adopter of FSX and Acceleration, I spent nearly $100 on the software only to have problems that should not exist. On my next system build, I will use a hard drive devoted solely to FSX. I think there are benefits to that and they will hopefully help with the view problems. Perhaps my issue is nothing more than Vista and FSX competing on the same drive. I think I will save FSX for the next build and keep FS9 on my current rig, against my will. :( My .02,Scott
Your remaining two issues, I believe are simply "features" of FSX. For outside spot views, I only use "outside locked" to avoid surges,this seems to apply particularly to replay views. If anyone has solved this by tuning or upgrading, I have not heard about it..

Bert

Guest wintercon
I really believe there is a problem in the views of FSX that causes stuttering. I have tried so many things to get FSX to run buttery smooth. I've locked the frame rate and unlocked the frame rate. I've used Nick's guide for configuring. My frame rate rarely dips below 20 in large cities, yet I still have stuttering issues in two main areas:1) Spot view when the view is not set to "outside locked"2) Instant replay in a variety of views, including tower, spot, and wing viewsWhen in the VC I have no stutters. It's only exterior views that seem to be problematic. This is still frustrating, and I have not found anything to help. One would think that the views would perhaps be affected by a low frame rate, but in my experience this is not the case. It happens even at very high frame rates.I reinstalled FS9 to test and none of these problems exist. I really like what FSX brings to the table as far as the increased resolutions, but I have to say that FS9 seems to be a more "reliable" platform out of the box. FSX will be what we need to focus on going forward, and I hope that we all can get it working well. As an early adopter of FSX and Acceleration, I spent nearly $100 on the software only to have problems that should not exist. On my next system build, I will use a hard drive devoted solely to FSX. I think there are benefits to that and they will hopefully help with the view problems. Perhaps my issue is nothing more than Vista and FSX competing on the same drive. I think I will save FSX for the next build and keep FS9 on my current rig, against my will. :( My .02,Scott
Excactly!!!I can have all settings to the max(tested it yesterday) with the water details settings on x2high with REX and as good as everything maxed out and I have over 20 FPS in extremely dense sceneries. In VC mode I have 0! problems i can move around the view inside and look outside and no problems,but in the outside view it stutters sometimes.Also I have realized that when I am on the ground in snowy conditions when the smoke or the snow from the ground from the wheels is spraying around I get slow downs,especially when I hit the brake and the whole smoke goes up. That only happens in such conditions.I cant believe it even though the special effects are set on medium and in other games with higher smoke and special effects I have 0! problems .Must be poorly programmed. Not to be believe that such problems have been addressed to microsoft for a quick fix.My system is quite powerful so I dont understand such problemsI played around with the frames per second bar and moved it from 30fps to unlimited in same situations to see the difference and there is not much but the unlimited one offers better allround realibility then 30fps. Only on the ground the 30fps is good but not in the air.I think its just FSX that is buggy.I might try an bit older graphic driver as I have experienced some black textures on the propeller for less then a second and the horizon flickering but that is just a small issue and has occured only in the beginning of the flight.

Guest wintercon

So I heard that installing FSX on a different drive then C: Drive where vista is located would be a much better thing to do? NOT A PROBLEM! Since I have 2x 5400RPMS hard drives installed on my laptop with a total of 640gb and I have not used the 2nd drive ever that just 320GB sits there and not being used I am gonna use that drive for my FSX to have it reinstalled and to hopefully fix the problem in that way.If the stutterings issue are really cause that FSX is installed on same drive like vista which makes absolutely no sense to make than I will do so and blaim microsoft for not addressing the problem.I might try it tonight after work as tomorrow me and my house mate will be flying togheter from brisbane australia to Los Angeles both with 777 in multiplayer in real time, and then will be swopping both to a concordes to fly to New York.Just a pain that FSX takes so long to deinstall.If i install it on the drive without anything loaded on,would I still have to defrag it after both installations ?

Guest Nick_N

Its a balance of tuning FSX to the system/hardware http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041and try this tool for the stutter running UNLIMITED frame lockhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1551461tune by autogen but do make sure Texture Bandwidth Multiplier in the config is set to 70 or 80If you have a >512MB video card try adding bufferpools for flying smooth over large amounts of AG trees. The FSX tuning link above provides the information based on the video memory installed

Guest wintercon

Thank you NickI had a read through and realized that some slidders I am unable to move more to the right without a performance hit,I am gonna try it today when I will get home.There are some chances that might casue the issue to be resolved especially since putting the slider to lower settings might decrease the actual performance could be very true.Since my monitor on my laptop is 17inch and is standard on a 1440 resolution and I am on 1280x769 in fsx is it wise to set it the actual screen resolution or will I experience a big performance drop?Resolution is usually a big problem for Performance decreasesMy drivers from the graphics card should be but ok I think.I am looking forward to tonight,especially tomorrow :)