Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Don't miss this one: a NEW FSX optimizer

Guest Nick_N
Nick--I still get some audio popping (like a Geiger counter) when in complex situations that intensifies over time/complexity--but I discovered something: autogen is the only thing that changes this. Bufferpools no. Max texture size? Could that affect this? I've had it now on ANY nV driver past 69.x in BOTH OS's, with TWO P5E3's. So with my 280GTX on Vista 64 I'm stuck with drivers past 69.x (I assume). If I lower autogen to Normal or lower, no audio popping. Now I can fly the SuperMD80 as set up in my sig with no audio popping in complex scenes, with Dense or even Very Dense scenery. Go over to FTX Tasmania, and even in a simple plane like the Cessna 441 I got popping IF autogen is higher than normal. My GPU, SCSI adaptor, and SoundMax controller DO NOT share IRQ's. I have PCI spreadspectrum disabled. It seems to me like it is somehow related texture loading but I don't really know for sure. SCENERY COMPLEXITY can be set to EXTREME with no untoward effects. Just autogen is the issue.Question: why would a/g be the thing that makes this an issue? WIth your comment above I thought perhaps you might have some theoretical insight on this odd annoyance. No other programs cause audio popping on this machine.
NoelThe issue is hardware/bios/driver specific and it is exacerbated by the way FSX saturates the PCIe buss with autogenI have seen the issue reported over and over again for a very long time and each time the person reporting the problem typically reports after a motherboard change (complete not just a replacement) the problem ceases. I have seen everything from BIOS changes to raising bufferpools in the FSX.cfg to switching to a 64bit OS combat the problem too.I think there is a common issue with certain hardware combinations in which there are very few applications that bring on the full grunt of the issue and therefore motherboard manufactures were/are not interested in dealing with it. I have never seen the issue on any system I have built in the last 3 years.

I guess there is always one person that just doesn't get it and that would be me.Downloaded the applet; downloaded winrar; downloaded java.I generated the GUI interface.Navigated to FSX.exeCreated the bat file.When I select the bat file I get a message that says "Cannot find C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Downloads\Compressed\FPS_limiter.exe"What am I doing wrong here? Been at this for three days and can't get it to work. I guess I are not smart.Jim
Hi Jim,The batch file and FPS_limiter.exe SHOULD be placed in the same unzipped folder for the app to work.;--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

You're welcome. Plz forgive :( , I have to revel in some acknowledgement for this. I've taken so much from others it feels good to have made at least some contribution to others' experience.
Well, I was really obsessed on throwing more CPU power on FSX so this has also been a cure for this ! :(

Guest UlfB
Seems like we are talking about two different "spikes." I am referring to surges in the video while flying. It is most noticable when you are close to other objects, such as clouds and runway for example. The video will "lurch" forward as if it were hung up then suddenly let loose to catch up. This happens in certain situations in UNLIMITED mode--even with FS9 and a totally different PC. FPS_Limiter fixes this in my configuration, whereas limited frames puts total performance BELOW that of unlimited, and does eliminate surges as well. The benefit for FPS-Limiter is to allow me to run in UNLIMTED but removes surges, so definitely improves overall performance.
I see. What happens if you limit fps in FSX to 30 in areas where you get these surges? Do you still get them if you don't use FPS Limiter?Maybe I should do some additional testflights with FPS Limiter. What "overall performance" improvements should I be looking for?

Hello,1 stupid question : :( I have only 24 FPS on my "old" system in FSX. Will this FSX optimizer help to have a more smooth flight?Did some one already tried on a less performant system?Thanks in advance

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Guest UlfB
I see. What happens if you limit fps in FSX to 30 in areas where you get these surges? Do you still get them if you don't use FPS Limiter?Maybe I should do some additional testflights with FPS Limiter. What "overall performance" improvements should I be looking for?
Noel,I tried several test flights over New York with autogen density at dense up to extremely dense, Water at highest setting and AI air traffic at 30, 70 and 100%. With the most extreme display settings I believe I'm getting what you call surges. They last for about 1 sec. I get them when running FSX with unlimited and with limited fps. I also get them when running FPS Limiter. I tried to detect any improvement regarding texture and autogen, but I didn't notice any significant difference.I'm quite convinced that my system doesn't benefit from this utility in heavy load scenarios. And if it does, I'm not able to notice the difference. In less dense scenarios I get no surges.Conclusion: My system don't need this utility. I'm happy that it provide an improved FSX experience on other systems.At Emile: Why don't you try it out and make your own judgement wether it improves your FSX flights? Please let us all know about your findings!

I downloaded the applet and installed it as per the instructions available in this thread.Yet when I click the bat file, I can see the DOS window in a flash but FSX does not starts (I saw the contents of the bat file and I believe FSX should start when the bat is executed.)If I start FSX as ususal, I think the limiter is running because I can see it in the task manager.But I wonder whether FSX is not launched upon running the bat!ThanksEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Well, I have the answer to... my question...I did add this line (the location of my FSX is not the standard),start C:\"Games\FSX\"fsx.exeto the bat file. It is working as advertised now!RegardsEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

NoelThe issue is hardware/bios/driver specific and it is exacerbated by the way FSX saturates the PCIe buss with autogenI have seen the issue reported over and over again for a very long time and each time the person reporting the problem typically reports after a motherboard change (complete not just a replacement) the problem ceases. I have seen everything from BIOS changes to raising bufferpools in the FSX.cfg to switching to a 64bit OS combat the problem too.I think there is a common issue with certain hardware combinations in which there are very few applications that bring on the full grunt of the issue and therefore motherboard manufactures were/are not interested in dealing with it. I have never seen the issue on any system I have built in the last 3 years.
Seems like a reasonable analysis. It does seem specific to this mainboard, a P5E3 Prem and maybe some others. It's not a big enough issue to resolve by changing mainboards. Maybe a new driver will come along (tho I doubt it since it has happened with every driver past 69x) but at least it is not a problem for all situations and at least lowering a/g to normal resolves it. I am able, for example, to run the SuperMD80 into KSFO and KLAX etc with VERY DENSE a/g with no audio popping. It's just certain situations like FTX Tasmania that bring it on, but again, normal a/g resolves it. I could change BIOS but again, I've had such good luck for CPU and memory o/c with this BIOS I don't think I want to go there again.Any chance my CPU could be the issue? It is the one component common to both situations I have--two OS, two P5E3 premiums, one CPU.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

If I limit fps in FSX in areas with surges, the surges are indeed gone. But, overall frame rate reduces by about 25% (versus with UNLIMITED + FPS_Limiter).Here's a simple test to see it if matters on your rig:1. Set frames to 30 in FSX. 2. Set up a test configuration where your machine is stressed a bit: big terminal, payware plane, so that with frames limited to 30, you are only getting around 24 or so.3. Now change to UNLIMITED. If your situation is like mine (and some other peoples who have posted similar experiences in other threads in the forum), you will see frames to up to maybe 30 in UNLIMITED.With FPS_Limiter, I will be getting 30 without surges in this situation. Without FPS_limiter, but set at UNLIMITED, I will get 30 frames, but with surges. If I limit fps in FSX, I will go back down to about 24 or so, hence the better performance with UNLIMITED/FPS_Limiter.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest UlfB
If I limit fps in FSX in areas with surges, the surges are indeed gone. But, overall frame rate reduces by about 25% (versus with UNLIMITED + FPS_Limiter).Here's a simple test to see it if matters on your rig:1. Set frames to 30 in FSX. 2. Set up a test configuration where your machine is stressed a bit: big terminal, payware plane, so that with frames limited to 30, you are only getting around 24 or so.3. Now change to UNLIMITED. If your situation is like mine (and some other peoples who have posted similar experiences in other threads in the forum), you will see frames to up to maybe 30 in UNLIMITED.With FPS_Limiter, I will be getting 30 without surges in this situation. Without FPS_limiter, but set at UNLIMITED, I will get 30 frames, but with surges. If I limit fps in FSX, I will go back down to about 24 or so, hence the better performance with UNLIMITED/FPS_Limiter.
Noel, Have a look at my previous post (#81) where I report my findings with extremely high display settings.

Noel,Thanks for sharing the info. I played with the limiter quite a bit yesterday and I can confirm that it really does smooth things out when you run FSX at unlimited and then use the utility to lock the frames.
Sarg, refresh my memory if you don't mind. You were having audio pops/clicks sometimes in FSX. Did you completely resolve it, and was it a BIOS update? I couldn't find the thread where we talked about this. I now have Vista 64 and our PC's are almost 100% identical. An acid test for this is to run FTX's scenery (tasmania demo is free). It only happens in certain very intense processing situations (like flying over dense autogen in FTX scenery). I can resolve it by turn autogen to NORMAL in these situations. I am running PCI s/s disabled now, but this did not fix the issue. I am using an older BIOS because I get excellent memory o/c and cpu o/c with stable perf with it. If I recall, it was your BIOS that was diff.Noel

Noel

Noel,Thanks for sharing this information on FPS Limiter.I installed it but it is not yet obvious to me whether it improved anything.A question: I set the limiter to 30 fps and unlimited in FSX optiins. In a test just I noticed that fps jump between 15 and 100 fps, according to the sceney complexity (15 fps in Aerosoft

Edmundo Azevedo

Sarg, refresh my memory if you don't mind. You were having audio pops/clicks sometimes in FSX. Did you completely resolve it, and was it a BIOS update? I couldn't find the thread where we talked about this. I now have Vista 64 and our PC's are almost 100% identical. An acid test for this is to run FTX's scenery (tasmania demo is free). It only happens in certain very intense processing situations (like flying over dense autogen in FTX scenery). I can resolve it by turn autogen to NORMAL in these situations. I am running PCI s/s disabled now, but this did not fix the issue. I am using an older BIOS because I get excellent memory o/c and cpu o/c with stable perf with it. If I recall, it was your BIOS that was diff.Noel
Noel,I'm running Bios 0605. It appears there is a newer Bios 0704 available that was released on 02/12/2009. I am going to load that Bios right away.The only thing that I could do to alleviate the audio popping/crackling was to increase my Bufferpools to an very high number. At present I am runnning my poolsize at 490MB which reduces DPC latency enough to eliminate the audio popping and crackling. I know I have asked you to try increasing the poolsize before. Have you tried increasing the poolsize since you switched to Vista X64 and got the GTX280?? If not you should give it a go. This is the only thing I have found that will allow me to crank the autogen up without the annoying crackling. The only other thing I can offer is that your overclock (both your CPU and memory) are more aggressive than mine and that could also lend to the problem.

Guest Nick_N
Noel,I'm running Bios 0605. It appears there is a newer Bios 0704 available that was released on 02/12/2009. I am going to load that Bios right away.The only thing that I could do to alleviate the audio popping/crackling was to increase my Bufferpools to an very high number. At present I am runnning my poolsize at 490MB which reduces DPC latency enough to eliminate the audio popping and crackling. I know I have asked you to try increasing the poolsize before. Have you tried increasing the poolsize since you switched to Vista X64 and got the GTX280?? If not you should give it a go. This is the only thing I have found that will allow me to crank the autogen up without the annoying crackling. The only other thing I can offer is that your overclock (both your CPU and memory) are more aggressive than mine and that could also lend to the problem.
What reserving BP does is demand the resources across the PCie port be defined/locked and therefore the latency is shifted in priority to the request. Only those on large VM cards can run a BP that high but it does work for this issue.