Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Don't miss this one: a NEW FSX optimizer

Hi all.Well a friend told me about this and at 1st i thought.. Oh here we go another white elephant. Tried almost everything to get FSX to work with out it being a pain in my rear and be fluid without losing detail in the Sim. Well from one skeptic all i can say is WOW!!!! The reason i say this is because i use Freetrack and it works flawlessly in FS9 but FSX its a total pig.. Hitching stutters etcI was just going to totally give up on FSX as i had tried everything. But after this little program1. NO Hitching2. NO stuttering3. Freetrack smooth as silk4. 30 FPS over Orbx YMML (And most of us know who own this that well.. Just dont bother putting it on)LOL i couldnt believe it!!! so i thought of lets install some payware scenery! My favorite TNCM was a total pig before now a fluid 30fps, with PMDG MD11 running LOLWell enough of my rambling time to go a FINALLY enjoy FSX. Begs the question though. If someone can create SUCH a small program like this that has helped me and possibly others why the HELL isnt he working for them? LOL. I dont know :)RegardsMike
Hi Mike,I can attest--it works consistently too! I am still amazed every time I go up. If you are flying thru really dense scenery/clouds/traffic/autogen in 3rd party AC my machine will still slow down as expected in certain scenarios, but I"m seeing smoothness all the way down. Never goes below 20, and usually sits at 30 even in planes like the Cessna Mustang flying thru FTX terrain. IQ and fluidity are maintained really well. It was just what we needed to both make FSX more enjoyable, but also to tie us over until FS11 comes if and when it ever does. I think it also breathes life into the 3rd party developers since the sim is way easier to get running well now. I am running FSX in Vista 64 now--and I have everything at default settings in Vista except UAC--that's it, no other optimizations, and it STILL runs great! I have XP 32 set up max optimized and while it runs great there the better memory handling in Vista 64 seems to make it just a little better. I think I will uninstall FSX from XP 32 now and call it good!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I spent a few hours testing this utility. I found that with my game settings limiting framerate within the game worked better on my machine. Vista 64280 gtxi7 940not overclocked

I guess I should use the smilies more often.. LOL Was not my goal to put you in your place, just inform Sorry.. sometimes I can come off dry when I am in a hurry and doing 'hit-n-runs' on threads around the net :(
Hi Nick,No worries at all :)I have the greatest respect and admiration for all the effort and time you have spent helping the community. I really don't know how you fit it all in.Now... how about helping me get this thing to work on my system (when you have the time, of course!)It is perhaps significant that we have not been seeing many posts praising this utility from those with 'lesser' systems such as mine. The utility appears to run okay by starting in the command window. FSX then starts, as it should, from the batch file. However, When I run the sim 'unlimited' I see frame rates bouncing around between the mid 20's and high 40's without any evidence of this utility anchoring the frame rate to 24 - the setting I have currently configured in the FPS Limiter. This does suggest that it isn't working.Currently I'm running FSX in a maximized window and the visuals are great with my 8800 GTS 640MB card and using your nHancer settings. Normally I run full screen but, for some reason, the system is often locking up (the limiter doesn't have to be running) when I try to do the switch. When I am successful the sim will run for perhaps 5-10 minutes before freezing with no way of exiting gracefully. I seem to be able to run forever in a maximized window. I've tested the system extensively and I'm pretty sure it's not a heat issue. The cpu core temps (as monitored by Core Temp 0.99.3) max out at 59C (core#0) and 56C (core#1) during an extended session and the 8800 GTS peaks at 73C (idle 60-61C) - I can achieve temps in the 80's on the 8800GTS while running 3DMark06 with no artifacts or lockups. I have run SP2004 Orthos for 2hrs 35mins and both cpu cores peak at 61C. Hot CPU Tester Pro run for 6hrs peaks the cores at 59C (core#0) and 56C (core#1) and all the tests are finished without error. So, I reckon the hardware is in pretty good shape.This issue only occurs with FSX and I'm wondering whether it could be the selected gpu driver (currently 180.84)? I never had any locking up with the ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB.The frame rates I am seeing while running unlimited would appear to suggest that I should benefit from using the limiter but, so far, I'm not seeing this. Indeed, when I ran it initially at 30fps it seemed to introduce surging even while flying the default a/c - something I don't see without the limiter and fps locked at 20fps. Reducing the values set in the limiter didn't help. I haven't tried experimenting with the BPs setting other than trying the default and your suggested 35000000 value. Again, no joy as yet.Currently I'm trying the effect of starting with a fresh FSX.cfg. I note that immediately after it is created I'm seeing a ProcSpeed value of 6155 and PerfBucket=5. Oddly, the PerfBucket value was 6 when the X1950 Pro was installed yet I have demonstrated that the 8800GTS is nearly twice as fast in 3DMark06 and my cpu hasn't changed. I have a friend in Alberta with an 8800GTX and an E6600 2.4 o/c'd to 3.6 with ProcSpeed=9874 and PerfBucket=7 so, as I said previously, I'm well aware where my hardware lies in the FSX scheme of things.BTW, and for the record, I too have never considered FSX, or its predecessors, as being 'Games'. I've never really understood why MS continue to address it as such. I suppose those who purchase the product and then quickly discover they've bitten off more than they can chew will refer to it as a 'game' while the rest of us who manage to stay the course know the reality to be very different.Regards,Mike

It is perhaps significant that we have not been seeing many posts praising this utility from those with 'lesser' systems such as mine. The utility appears to run okay by starting in the command window. FSX then starts, as it should, from the batch file. However, When I run the sim 'unlimited' I see frame rates bouncing around between the mid 20's and high 40's without any evidence of this utility anchoring the frame rate to 24 - the setting I have currently configured in the FPS Limiter. This does suggest that it isn't working.Mike
Mike, Excuse me for chiming in, but I agree, FPSL does not appear to be operating or synced with FSX in your situation. How about posting a shot of FPSL's command window to see what that looks like. Tell me, when you shut FSX down, to you get the message in CMD to "hit any key to end FPS_Limiter" or something like that? That might be evidence the two are connected in some way.I would also agree, lesser systems seem to benefit less. I believe this may be secondary to the degree of extremes possible in lesser systems. You could simulate this idea by running FSX really eased up, with sliders more towards hard LEFT, so that your rig can easily handle it. Then run it with plenty of clouds, and for an acid test, try replay mode (easier to process than realtime FSX I assume), which would again change the relationship between your platform and the demands being put on it by FSX. And again, were you seeing "surges" or spikes in FSX prior to trying FPSL? Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Noel,Just a follow up - I managed to have the limiter working only with UAC off in Windows Vista. Even with "Run as Administrator" and its folder with all permissions On, the progtam was not running!Thanks for your help.RegardsEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Have you tried putting it in the .bat file for FPSL, for example:start C:\"FPS_Limiter\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:ON /l:OFF "E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\airlines.cfg
I've tried every configuration of the batch file and it will not work with specific configuration files. Anyone have a solution?Thanksfb

I've tried every configuration of the batch file and it will not work with specific configuration files. Anyone have a solution?Thanksfb
Yes, start FSX and FSX only with the FPS Limiter. Once you have started FSX, load the appropriate configuration file for the type of flying you wish to do from within FSX itself.

Mike, Excuse me for chiming in, but I agree, FPSL does not appear to be operating or synced with FSX in your situation. How about posting a shot of FPSL's command window to see what that looks like. Tell me, when you shut FSX down, to you get the message in CMD to "hit any key to end FPS_Limiter" or something like that? That might be evidence the two are connected in some way.I would also agree, lesser systems seem to benefit less. I believe this may be secondary to the degree of extremes possible in lesser systems. You could simulate this idea by running FSX really eased up, with sliders more towards hard LEFT, so that your rig can easily handle it. Then run it with plenty of clouds, and for an acid test, try replay mode (easier to process than realtime FSX I assume), which would again change the relationship between your platform and the demands being put on it by FSX. And again, were you seeing "surges" or spikes in FSX prior to trying FPSL? Noel
Hi Noel,Please feel free :)Thanks for trying to help out.I've now given at another go, only this time with a freshly created FSX.cfg. I resisted the temptation to make any big changes in the first instance other than a few things like screen resolution, colour depth and trilinear filtering. And what do you know, it seems to work after all! I find the best setting for FPSL is in fact the default 30fps and now I'm finding that the frame rates are mostly wandering around the 30 but when they do dip below even as far as in the teens the performance is still relatively smooth without any frame rate spiking. The surges appear to have gone although I still see the odd hitch or three - I suspect this has something to do with texture loading because it tends to go after a spell of flying in the same area. I've reintroduced the Bufferpools tweak meantime but reduced the value to 30000000 - don't see much change there although maybe fewer graphic artifacts. Needs more testing.Anyway, for the moment things are looking more promising. I've tried a few more demanding a/c, including those from the RealAir hanger and, yes, they are performing much more smoothly. Fingers crossed.I was going to post a couple of images (as you requested) of the FPSL CMD window while running FSX and after exiting. Everything seems to be working now as it should and I am invited to press any key to exit, so I don't think there's any need.Thanks again Noel. Looks like there may indeed be hope for us lower hardware classes after all :)Regards,MikeEdit: Darn thing locked up again, this time while running in a maximized window! Tried to shut it down and I was presented with an invitation to activate the product!! Firefox was still running in the background and I was able to <Alt + Tab> to it to make the above post before this edit (which I did following a reboot and Chkdsk). Also I could <Alt + Tab> to FPSL and was able to close it down although it took a little time to react. FSX, however refused to respond so, in the end, I was forced to power off. I do wonder whether I should be trying another driver for the 8800 GTS. I fired up FSX after rebooting and there was no sign of the activation window - go figure :(

Maybe try adding a command line after fsx.exe: Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe /CFG:Configuration file.cfgProbably won't work, but worth a shot. If this is to succeed I expect you'll need to ensure that the various configuration files are in the same root folder as fsx.exe.Mike

Hi Noel,Please feel free :)I find the best setting for FPSL is in fact the default 30fps and now I'm finding that the frame rates are mostly wandering around the 30 but when they do dip below even as far as in the teens the performance is still relatively smooth without any frame rate spiking. The surges appear to have gone although I still see the odd hitch or three - I suspect this has something to do with texture loading because it tends to go after a spell of flying in the same area. I've reintroduced the Bufferpools tweak meantime but reduced the value to 30000000 - don't see much change there although maybe fewer graphic artifacts. Needs more testing.Anyway, for the moment things are looking more promising. I've tried a few more demanding a/c, including those from the RealAir hanger and, yes, they are performing much more smoothly. Fingers crossed.I was going to post a couple of images (as you requested) of the FPSL CMD window while running FSX and after exiting. Everything seems to be working now as it should and I am invited to press any key to exit, so I don't think there's any need.Thanks again Noel. Looks like there may indeed be hope for us lower hardware classes after all :)Regards,MikeEdit: Darn thing locked up again, this time while running in a maximized window! Tried to shut it down and I was presented with an invitation to activate the product!! Firefox was still running in the background and I was able to <Alt + Tab> to it to make the above post before this edit (which I did following a reboot and Chkdsk). Also I could <Alt + Tab> to FPSL and was able to close it down although it took a little time to react. FSX, however refused to respond so, in the end, I was forced to power off. I do wonder whether I should be trying another driver for the 8800 GTS. I fired up FSX after rebooting and there was no sign of the activation window - go figure :(
Mike what is your video memory? 512mb? 380mb? If it's either of these I'd think twice about using the Bufferpools control, and I gather you've been flying that way until recently? Anyway, 300000000 seems high for that amount of onboard video memory. Play around with eliminating it and see what happens. I found with my former 8800GT 512mb I could find no BP setting that would improve anything, and some values would outrate cause severe slowdowns. It sounds like FPSL may offer some benefits for you as it sounds like you have had some surges in the past. I would have to say on my machine the addition of FPSL has improved smoothness by at least 80%. That still leaves room for the remaining 20% of improvement. I may get that from trying to optimize Vista--I have like about 45 processes running as it is now, so I have almost zero optimization. I leave Windows Defender on, I leave the desktop in AERO mode. Performance is so smooth now that I don't feel as much need to work on improving it that last 20%. I do have some cloud types that really seem to slow down my system, but with other cumulus clouds, even continuous dense ones--no problem whatsoever! It's a bit of a mystery because these clouds don't even appear difficult to process. I run cloud distance at full 110m, and use Max cloud density, and 6 cloud layers in ASX. I just have a certain cloud that seems to overtax my system. Otherwise I am staying locked on 30 even in dense metropolitan terminals in the SuperMD80 Pro and even in the Cessna Mustang. I am flying the Mustang in FTX ORBX scenery and it's crystal clear and smooth, in some places dipping to 24 frames. But it's very smooth.

Noel

Mike what is your video memory?
Hi Noel,640MB. Interesting you say you experienced some slow downs. I've noticed the same in areas where I least expect it to happen and I'm also starting to wonder whether the high BP value has been responsible for my lockups. I'll try removing it first of all and see whether that restores stability. I think ACES knew what they were doing when they employed the ProcSpeed and PerfBucket variables to set up the initial in-sim settings. However, I have managed to tweak a few of the sliders towards the right without loss of performance. The one I've left alone meantime is Autogen which is sitting at 'Normal'.Sounds like you are having fun!Regards,Mike

Maybe try adding a command line after fsx.exe: Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe /CFG:Configuration file.cfgProbably won't work, but worth a shot. If this is to succeed I expect you'll need to ensure that the various configuration files are in the same root folder as fsx.exe.Mike
Yes, I tried that with several different config file titles - no joy. All of my config files are in the main FSX directory.Oh well, if the stuttering stops the lack of configuration capability can be a trade off.Thanks again.fb

For example, I have a file titled airlines.cfg which starts FSX with a specific hardware configuration for various sized aircraft used by airlines. How can I get the bat file to start FSX using one of these config files?Frank
Hi Frank,Perhaps it might help if you could give us some details about the content of these configuration files and what you want them to do for you. I didn't know that you could start FSX with a specific hardware configuration other than at boot time. Perhaps you are referring instead to some of the background stuff like services and programs that begin at startup, in which case I imagine you might direct your attention towards Ken Salter's AlacrityPC:http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/.I've no idea how this works, but if it's anything like his FSAutoStart, which many of us used successfully with FS9, then it could be used at the front end and the required configuration file with the disabled services and programs could be chosen at that point. Within the configuration file you can execute fsx.exe by describing the path to the "fsx.exe.limited.bat" file created with the FPS_Limiter GUI.That's what I would try. Again, it may not work although I don't see why not. All you're doing in this instance is referencing a batch file which will contain a command line leading to the execution of fsx.exe.Mike