Sign in to follow this  
Deaf Pilot

Convert 172R into 172S

Hi... I'd like to get some pointers on how I would "change" an engine's horsepower - I am renting a real-life 172S, and I own Flight1's 172R. The only real difference between the two is that the 172S has 180HP while the 172R has 160. How can I change the engine parameters to match that of the 172S's 180HP?

Hi... I'd like to get some pointers on how I would "change" an engine's horsepower - I am renting a real-life 172S, and I own Flight1's 172R. The only real difference between the two is that the 172S has 180HP while the 172R has 160. How can I change the engine parameters to match that of the 172S's 180HP?
Change the aircraft.cfg file with Notepad:[piston_engine]power_scalar = 1.125 // was 1

Bert

Change the aircraft.cfg file with Notepad:[piston_engine]power_scalar = 1.125 // was 1
Thanks Bert! So basically that takes 160HP and multiplies it by 1.125 for a total of 180HP... seems pretty simple. That doesnt mess the general dynamics up too much does it? What I mean by that is that it really only changes power output without changing the flight dynamics as a whole?

Guest SkullxBones

To be sure, you might want to take your real world performance specs and set up the same conditions in FS and adjust until it performs as you would expect.

Thanks Bert! So basically that takes 160HP and multiplies it by 1.125 for a total of 180HP... seems pretty simple. That doesnt mess the general dynamics up too much does it? What I mean by that is that it really only changes power output without changing the flight dynamics as a whole?
Correct. A previous 172S owner verified that it worked well for him.

Bert

Guest napamule

Todd,You might as 'match' up the prop with '(in propeller section) thrust_scalar = 1.1 //Propeller thrust scalar. Go all the way, right. It won't mess with dynamics as the increase is not outrageous, by any means. In fact, my experience is that all MS a/c are underpowered.SkullxBones,That is one thing that would be very difficult, if not impossible, to do in FSX. Maybe that is why you suggested it? Useless post.Chuck BNapamule

Correct. A previous 172S owner verified that it worked well for him.
Great! Thanks a bunch Bert.I'm actually going to be flying the 172S for my honeymoon trip, and it involves some mountain flying, so what I like to do is load up FSX with TileProxy to get an idea of what to expect on the trip, and I wanted the aircraft performance to more closely match that of the real thing.I also modified the panel with a Bendix/King KMD550 and KLN94 as the 172 I am using has those equipped.

Guest SkullxBones
SkullxBones,That is one thing that would be very difficult, if not impossible, to do in FSX. Maybe that is why you suggested it? Useless post.Chuck BNapamule
Well Chuck, do you really think developers just plug in numbers when they build an aircraft and not check or change them by flying their sim version and comparing the specs to the real thing?Let's assume Flight1 did their homework on the 172R and got it to perform close to the real thing. All I suggested is once he changed the power_scalar setting to reflect the added 20hp, he check it against the real performance specs of the 172S. If you are looking for realism, you make the changes, fly the plane, and see if the sim versions climb rates and speed match the real 172S specs. Maybe you consider that useless, I don't.

Well Chuck, do you really think developers just plug in numbers when they build an aircraft and not check or change them by flying their sim version and comparing the specs to the real thing?Let's assume Flight1 did their homework on the 172R and got it to perform close to the real thing. All I suggested is once he changed the power_scalar setting to reflect the added 20hp, he check it against the real performance specs of the 172S. If you are looking for realism, you make the changes, fly the plane, and see if the sim versions climb rates and speed match the real 172S specs. Maybe you consider that useless, I don't.
Guess what.. a C172S owner did just that and reported back that it worked well for him. OK?

Bert

Great! Thanks a bunch Bert.I'm actually going to be flying the 172S for my honeymoon trip, and it involves some mountain flying, so what I like to do is load up FSX with TileProxy to get an idea of what to expect on the trip, and I wanted the aircraft performance to more closely match that of the real thing.I also modified the panel with a Bendix/King KMD550 and KLN94 as the 172 I am using has those equipped.
Wow. It's amazing what flight simulator can be used for. I never though about someone using FSX to see how a honeymoon trip would be like, but its a great idea. Maybe when I'mlots of years older get married and if i get a PPL I'll do that. :(

Guest napamule

SkullNbones,YES, that is EXACTLY what I meant. They DON'T design for realism (CAN'T). They don't care, either. They make a model and sell it and you are stuck. Unless you know the specs, AND can make the changes yourself. I WAS talking about the C172, and MS default A/C and not any payware. They do good job. But I doubt that 'they' (modelers) can EVER (and I do mean EVER) make a model for sim that will EXACTLY reflect the 'real' thing. CAN'T (and NEVER WILL) be done. Period! (Give it up.)Chuck BNapamule