Sign in to follow this  
CappinSuruje

Should I go ATI or Nvidia?

Hello Captains,Recently bought a new rib for FsX..for a ok priice...come to find out the mobo is a little outdated n the powersupply aint all that..but Just wanted to find out in the interim If it would be better to get the Ati 4870 1gig GPU with my setup OR the GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bitQ8200 @ 2.33, 4GB ddr2800, Vista premium 64, a 500 GB HDD dedicated to FsX only, a 22 inch flatpanel..TV, and a SUNteC 680wt Powersupply (As a back up i also have a 19inch Monitor if the tv setup aint thee best)...oh yea n the mobo is a P5n73-Am..with the Nvidia Geforce 7050/nForce 610i chipset...which uses only Pci Express X16 and X1.....Thanks in advance for all yourhelp n input!Gideon B

Nvidia all the way - their cards seem to be happier running FSX.

I have the gtx 260. Great card. If you are not going to OC that 8200, than a 9800GTX might be easier on your checkbook.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Thanks Gentlemen, My New GTX260 is now purchased im just praying I holds up well to my cheap n outdated 680wt powersupply. (Note to self and other simmers stay away from those Computer Fairs they are a real rip offff if u dont ask All the right questions like i didnt). Sooo My next question is: say i were to Upgrade my mobo to say a 780i which is a newer version of the nvidia chipset would i need to reinstall Windows Vista 64?

Sooo My next question is: say i were to Upgrade my mobo to say a 780i which is a newer version of the nvidia chipset would i need to reinstall Windows Vista 64?
Yes - always do so because the new mobo will likely have many different components than your existing.Only time you dont need to re-install windows is when you're swapping the motherboard for an identical one, such as if your mobo dies and you get an identical replacement.