Sign in to follow this  
Guest Autolite

T33A problem...

Guest Autolite

I have downloaded and installed the T33A aircraft on FSX with Windows XP Home Edition (files T33AupXA.zip and T33A_796update.zip). It appears that this aircraft is missing the canopy. Does anyone know where I might find the file that would install the canopy on this aircraft? Would it be possible to modify an existing file in order to get the canopy?Any help or suggestions would be most sincerely appreciated. Many thanks...pintoguy@telus.net

Sounds like an FS9 plane ported over to FSX. It may not work with your version of FSX. Anyway you can modify the canopy or glass file with DXTBmp (or the Image tool in the SDK) and Paint. If you search on the forums ther are instruction.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest Autolite
Sounds like an FS9 plane ported over to FSX. It may not work with your version of FSX. Anyway you can modify the canopy or glass file with DXTBmp (or the Image tool in the SDK) and Paint. If you search on the forums ther are instruction.Bob
Thanks Bob for your help. I am still somewhat lost, though. There doesn't seem to be any 'canopy' or 'glass' file in the T33A aircraft (textures) folder. I would like to ask if this makes any sense? Anyhow, I've download and installed DXTBmp and used it to convert the 'fuselage' file for use with MSPaint (just to see how things work). Once the file is open in MSPaint, do I need to make the modifications by drawing freehand? Is this in fact how it is done?I don't mean to be bothersome, but I need to ask these questions on-line as I don't know anybody personally who could teach me how to do this.Again, many thanks...

Well, really, Paint is not the program you should be using to do repaints. Photo shop, or corel draw or gimp would be better. I said Paint if all you were doing was glass texture.However, I have used paint to do repaints, because I don't do anything fancy. Yes, a combination of freehand and copy and paste. You can import, say, a logo, and put it on your plane.If you'll tell me where you got your T33A from, I'll take a look at it.After you are done, close Paint. Windows will ask you is you want to save. click yes. In DXT click reload after edit ( I think in the Image menu. ) Save as the same type of file as the original. If you save it with the same name, it will overwite the original. You can use a temp. name, but before you can use the new texture, you must rename the original and name your new texture the same as the original was to begin with.Bob

Bob

Guest Autolite

Thanks again for the reply. The T33A files (there are two files that I had downloaded) came from flightsim.com/file library/modern military aircraft/search-'T33A' http://www.flightsim.com/file.phpI have Corel Draw laying around somewhere on CD. I did it out and see what I can do with it...

OK, hang in there. My daughters 12th birthday is tonite, but I'll help as soon as I can. Corel is great. My wife loves it, says it'll do laundry and bake cookies if you know how to use it. Which is why I stick with paint. More on my level. Are you able to move about between the different programs?BobI think I forgot my password to flightsim...haven't used it in a long time.

Bob

Guest Autolite
Are you able to move about between the different programs?
Sure, moving between programs hasn't seemed to be a problem. I still haven't found my 'Corel Draw' CD though. I did find a CD with 'Corel Photo-Paint'. In the mean time, I'll load that and see what that's all aout. Thanks again...

OK. T33AupXA.zip is an Acceleration update. It requires a base file, T-33A796.ZIP, to work. I loaded that plane and it does have a canopy. Glass in FS9 planes in FSX can have one of two problems.1. No glass texture , or black glass.2. There is glass but clouds look funny through the canopy when viewed from spot view.The first can be fixed by adjusting the class texture color, or the alpha color(don't remember which right now). The second, which is what I see in this plane, I believe can not be fixed. Props and glass are an on going problem with using FS9 aircraft.Don't know if any of this helps. Maybe someone will add something better.Bob

Bob

Guest Autolite
Don't know if any of this helps. Maybe someone will add something better.Bob
Yes, thank you! Just knowing that the 'glass' problems are common is quite helpful. Out of three files,t-33a796.zipT33AupXA.zipT-33A_796update.zipI cannot find the canopy in any of them. I'll just keep messing around until I can figure something out.On another note, a buddy of mine has had the 'black glass' problem and the 'propeller texture' problem on certain aircraft whereas I haven't. The difference being that I have FSX SP1 on Windows XP Home and he has FSX SP2 w/Acceleration on Vista!Go figure...

It has nothing to do with Vista. SP2 is what does it.Hmmm...I have SP2, yet I could see glass in your T33.Bob

Bob

Guest Autolite
It has nothing to do with Vista. SP2 is what does it.Hmmm...I have SP2, yet I could see glass in your T33.Bob
How big is the 'canopy' file for the T33A? Would it be possible to send just that one file by email???pintoguy@telus.net

I see no glass or canopy file either. I can only assume that it is part of the model. Perhaps you could post a screenshot, to see if we are talking about the same thing.Bob

Bob

Guest Autolite
I see no glass or canopy file either. I can only assume that it is part of the model. Perhaps you could post a screenshot, to see if we are talking about the same thing.Bob
Thanks for the reply. It's not the missing canopy that bothers me so much as the fact that I can't seem to figure out why it's even missing. I have plenty of serviceable aircraft on my FSX but I am interested in learning how to fix the problems that I've seen. Your patience is appreciated.Here's the T-Bird from the 'T-33A_796.zip' file. Out of all the aircraft that I have, it is only this one and a Republic ThunderBolt (A10 WartHog) that have missing canopies. I would like to find the fix as the pilots are getting upset with me whenever I send either of these two aircraft flying... :(

And here is mine...The readme for the update says it is for Acceleeration, which would be SP2. Maybe the 796 file is SP2 also. I have no idea. In which case ,I can see the canopy because I have SP2. Bob

Bob

Guest Autolite

Well, at least it's encouraging to see that the T-33 has a complete canopy. :( I've noticed that my T-33 and my A-10 WartHog have the identical problem. Both aircraft have missing canopies and, on both, the forward windscreens are 'black'. At least this indicates the possibility that the problem is not particular to the respective aircraft files themselves.In any case, I've downloaded and installed 'Gimp' and 'DXTBmp' as these programs are apparently for working with textures, however, I haven't quite figured out exactly what I need to do. These canopy/glass issues, as you've mentioned, are related to the Alpha channels in the textures. I just don't understand enough about it yet to try doing any file modifications.You had also mentioned that the T-33 canopy shows up with the updated file on FSX SP2. I had thought about downloading and installing SP2 but I am very reluctant. As I understand it, SP2 was designed to solve compatibility issues with Vista. I am currently running XP Home and I intend to stick with that as long as I can. Besides, I've seen the problems SP2/Vista creates with Add-Ons on a friend's FSX and I don't want to open another can of worms.I will just keep scanning the net for a solution. It's quite evident now that I'm not the only one with the black glass/no glass problems...