Sign in to follow this  
Guest meekal

All over the place

Guest meekal

Guys,I have been having some horrid experiences flying an ILS approach on AP on the MD-11. I seem to miss the LOC by a mile (the GS is fine).Even if I disconnect the AP and try and recapture the LOC manually, it misses it again by a wide margin. Yes, I have run the Registry several times. It is obviously not making a difference.Any help/advice would be appreciated. This is spoiling all my fun.Meekal

Guest fencer88
Guys,I have been having some horrid experiences flying an ILS approach on AP on the MD-11. I seem to miss the LOC by a mile (the GS is fine).Even if I disconnect the AP and try and recapture the LOC manually, it misses it again by a wide margin. Yes, I have run the Registry several times. It is obviously not making a difference.Any help/advice would be appreciated. This is spoiling all my fun.Meekal
Hi Meekal,I don't have the MD11 so someone else will have to help you but in the meantime it would help to know the following :- FS9 or FSX?- Which airport (with or without add-on scenery)?Sometimes a screen copy can also help.Bruno

Guest meekal
Hi Meekal,I don't have the MD11 so someone else will have to help you but in the meantime it would help to know the following :- FS9 or FSX?- Which airport (with or without add-on scenery)?Sometimes a screen copy can also help.Bruno
Hi Bruno,I am using FSX SP2. The airport makes no difference. It is the same everywhere. I have no add-on scenery. I like to keep it simple, focus on the flying, usually in low visibility, with resultant high FPS.I have exactly the same problem with the PMDG Dash 400. All over the place. I have no problem whatsoever with any other add-on I have. And I have just about all of them! So this is strictly a PMDG issue. Your thoughts and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.Meekal

As Bruno suggested, try posting a screenshot of your panel in the situation where you are having trouble.I'm guessing that you are overshooting localizer. Try intercepting the localizer at an angle of around 30 degrees, speed maybe 160-180 knots (with appropriate flap settings).Tom

I agree with Tom, speed and angle of intercept might be the problem. I have found these sims to be easy to handfly using autothrottle (and that is just due to my toy-like throttle controller). Remember you want to be in approach configuration before the FAF and in landing configuration on a stable approach before 1000 agl.

Dan Downs KCRP

I had something that sounds like this, if effected both the 747 and MD11 on FSX. After it was solvedI noticed a clue, on my NAV display the flight path magenta line was NOT straight up and down, it wasalways at maybe 30 degrees to the right, the plane seemed to follow it and as I said I did not see thatas related til it was fixed. Looking back, the localizer was always to my left but the plane would notcorrect, now I see that the weird angle was related, it probably was correct given the skewed angle.The fix was the registry clean, I could have sworn I did it once and saw no change, but after it wassuggested again by someone in my VA (DVA) I did it again, and LO and BEHOLD it fixed it. Onceit was working my flight path angle issue also disappeared and the path became 0 - 180 most thetime again.I've never understood what the heck a registry entry can have to do with IRS but that seems to bewhat was borked. If someone from PMDG can actually explain this I'd be facinated :)

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

Guest meekal
I had something that sounds like this, if effected both the 747 and MD11 on FSX. After it was solvedI noticed a clue, on my NAV display the flight path magenta line was NOT straight up and down, it wasalways at maybe 30 degrees to the right, the plane seemed to follow it and as I said I did not see thatas related til it was fixed. Looking back, the localizer was always to my left but the plane would notcorrect, now I see that the weird angle was related, it probably was correct given the skewed angle.The fix was the registry clean, I could have sworn I did it once and saw no change, but after it wassuggested again by someone in my VA (DVA) I did it again, and LO and BEHOLD it fixed it. Onceit was working my flight path angle issue also disappeared and the path became 0 - 180 most thetime again.I've never understood what the heck a registry entry can have to do with IRS but that seems to bewhat was borked. If someone from PMDG can actually explain this I'd be facinated :)
Gentlemen, I appreciate your responses and your suggestions.Please be assured there is nothing wrong with my intercept angle, my configuration, speed, or any other variable. I go by the book. I tried the Registry Cleaner and it worked. But then I seem to have reverted to the same problem. I can try it again but I am not hopeful.The thing I find especially frustrating is that even the DEFAULT MSFX aircraft do a better job of interception the LOC and tracking it dead center!! My other add-on's do the same. Why only PMDG, one of the most sophisticated and well built add-on's on the market?I'm afraid I do not have the answer. Wish I did.Meekal

Hi Meekal,Not an answer unfortunately, sorry, but you mentioned in your post "I have exactly the same problem with the PMDG Dash 400"PMDG Dash 400???Did i miss something?Cheers,Stef

Stef, think 747-400 might be the aircraft?I don't have any idea why the registry causes the skewed tracks and localizer problems but it does. Meekal, if it was fixed then reappeared then you should be able to figure out which program or add-on is making changes to the registry. Please contact that developer and ask them why they corrupt a registry entry rather than ask why the PMDG simulation needs a correct registry. On second thought, you seem to prefer the default aircraft so there's your real solution.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest meekal
Stef, think 747-400 might be the aircraft?I don't have any idea why the registry causes the skewed tracks and localizer problems but it does. Meekal, if it was fixed then reappeared then you should be able to figure out which program or add-on is making changes to the registry. Please contact that developer and ask them why they corrupt a registry entry rather than ask why the PMDG simulation needs a correct registry. On second thought, you seem to prefer the default aircraft so there's your real solution.
Sir,With due respect, I never said I prefer the default aircraft. I simply made the point that they worked perfectly in the context of ILS capture and tracking. Furthermore, why would I prefer the default aircraft when I have spent thousands of dollars over, say, the past 20 years, on add-on's?Today, I have every commercial jet add-on available. Every single one of them. They all work fine. Except the PMDG 747-400 and MD-11 which have exactly the same problem, namely, tracking the ILS.Regarding other add-on's corrupting PMDG files, be informed that I have REMOVED all the other presumably offending add-on's. It has not helped. Yes, I did mean the PMDG 747-400. I know PMDG did not produce a Dash-400. Sorry for the confusion.This is very frustrating for me. I know people here have tried to be helpful and I am indebted to them for their time and consideration.Of course, the heavens have not completely fallen since I can (and do) take over manually when I know there isn't a hope in hell she will capture the LOC. That's probably quite realistic on a good day because that is what most air carrier pilot's do. But I cannot execute any more low-visibility approaches and auto-lands. To me, that is three-quarters of the fun of flying an advanced high-tech jet.Meekal

Gentlemen, I appreciate your responses and your suggestions.Please be assured there is nothing wrong with my intercept angle, my configuration, speed, or any other variable. I go by the book. I tried the Registry Cleaner and it worked. But then I seem to have reverted to the same problem. I can try it again but I am not hopeful.
Something borks the registry, it was suggested to me that its Wilco, which is plausible because I had updated the Wilco EJets acouple different times. But it doesn't really matter what it is, as often as this problem appears run the registry clean AGAIN, it can't hurt right?Its a common problem, and an easy fix.

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

Guest meekal
Something borks the registry, it was suggested to me that its Wilco, which is plausible because I had updated the Wilco EJets acouple different times. But it doesn't really matter what it is, as often as this problem appears run the registry clean AGAIN, it can't hurt right?Its a common problem, and an easy fix.
Thank you. I will try that. As I mentioned above, I have removed all Wilco products from my HD because I did hear (perhaps here) it may be the suspect and causing all the trouble. It has made no difference.But no harm in trying your suggestion which I will.Thanks again,Meekal

As I mentioned above, I have removed all Wilco products from my HD because I did hear (perhaps here) it may be the suspect and causing all the trouble. Meekal
I assume that after doing that you ran the registry clean? Just removing a suspect programme from your machine doesn't mean that any registry corruption it did will be corrected - in fact it's highly unlikely!Iain Smith

I assume that after doing that you ran the registry clean? Just removing a suspect programme from your machine doesn't mean that any registry corruption it did will be corrected - in fact it's highly unlikely!Iain Smith
Meekal,Move the MAG/TRU switch from norm to TRU (in the 744) or press the MAG/TRU button on the MD11. Does the compass rose rotate ? If no your magnetic variation is ZERO. A common problem for both FS9/FSX platforms that may have to do with scenery add-ons or other utils or a lost registry (from what you say it is not the latter). Go to JFK 31L. Does the mag heading read 314 ? (Check both the ND and FS by pressing Shift-Z)It is obvious that if LOC did not capture properly on the 744 or the MD11 we would have a riot here. It is something in your PC. Lets see if it is this.Vangelis

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Guest meekal
Meekal,Move the MAG/TRU switch from norm to TRU (in the 744) or press the MAG/TRU button on the MD11. Does the compass rose rotate ? If no your magnetic variation is ZERO. A common problem for both FS9/FSX platforms that may have to do with scenery add-ons or other utils or a lost registry (from what you say it is not the latter). Go to JFK 31L. Does the mag heading read 314 ? (Check both the ND and FS by pressing Shift-Z)It is obvious that if LOC did not capture properly on the 744 or the MD11 we would have a riot here. It is something in your PC. Lets see if it is this.Vangelis
Vangelis, Sorry I did not see your kind reply earlier. You are right. If everyone, or most of us, was having the same problem with LOC capture, there would indeed be a riot here! So I suppose I am the only one who still has this problem because it came up some months ago, the solution was offered, and it is obviously worked for everyone except me! To me that is bizarre. I will do as you suggest and let you know if there is anything of interest to report. I will also, following a suggestion made earlier above, clean the registry before loading either the 747 or the MD-11 each and every time. It only takes a second.Meekal