Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alias

FIX page on MD11

Guest Alias

Hi,this morning the ATC told me to cross 040 Nm from AMS VOR at 11000 - 250 Kts. How can I do that? I guess I should use the FIX page to get a radius depiction on the EHSI for reference, but I can't understand which is the correct sintax.Thanks for your helpCheers

this morning the ATC told me to cross 040 Nm from AMS VOR at 11000 - 250 Kts. How can I do that? I guess I should use the FIX page to get a radius depiction on the EHSI for reference, but I can't understand which is the correct sintax.
If AMS is in your flight plan you can create an "along track" waypoint AMS/-40 and set the restriction 250/11000 on the right side. See manual page FMS.100.1Tom

Guest Alias

Yes but it doesn't work, I got "NOT ALLOWED" message instead.

Yes but it doesn't work, I got "NOT ALLOWED" message instead.
Bet you don't have the AMS vor in your flightplan. As long as it's not there, you can't add a fix based on that vor. So here's the workaround:1. Enter the AMS vor in you flightplan2. Clear the disco3. Enter the fix in your flightplan4. Delete the AMS vorSome screenshots will illustrate

Guest Alias

Thanks Pieter, I was writing AMS/-40, that's why I was getting an error.

Thanks Pieter, I was writing AMS/-40, that's why I was getting an error.
AMS/-40 "should" get you a waypoint on your current flightplan 40nm *before* AMS. I'll have to try this later, I cannot load the MD-11 right now.AMS/+40 places your waypoint 40nm *after* AMS.Tom

AMS/-40 "should" get you a waypoint on your current flightplan 40nm *before* AMS. I'll have to try this later, I cannot load the MD-11 right now.
Confirmed. Should work as well. I used +40 only because I had already a flightplan loaded at that moment from EHAM to EGLL. If you fly the return leg, you can of course enter a AMS/-40 fix.

Wow, didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip Pieter, learnsomething new every day :(

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

Wow, didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip Pieter, learnsomething new every day :(
Credits go to Tom: he came up with this.

Guest Alias

Strange I got ENTRY OUT OF RANGE, but I'm 80 Nm from AMS... :(

Strange I got ENTRY OUT OF RANGE, but I'm 80 Nm from AMS... :(
Probably you have another waypoint between AMS and AMS/+80. You can only enter a new waypoint between two existing waypoints.

Here is an example. I've been given an instruction to cross 40nm before HBV VOR at FL250. Enter "HBV/-40":The new waypoint is before HBV, so hit the LSK next to HBV (4L):Now enter the crossing restriction on the right side using "/250" and LSK 4R:Tom

Guest Alias

HI Tom,thanks a lot. I made the same thing but the FMC, instead of uploading the waypooint, told me "ENTRY OUT OF RANGE" that's why I can't understand. I then have tried the same on another trip and everything went fine..dunno..I use the same sintax but sometimes it doesn't get accepted.EDIT:here is an example.and what I get if I upload it by clicking on "SPL" (that should be the right place if I have well understood).

Lorenzo,Your problem is, just like I told you btw, that the distance between SPL and DETSI is less than 40 miles. It is only possible to enter a fix relative to a waypoint between that waypoint and the waypoint before. So in this case: you can only enter a fix between SPL and DETSI. From your screenshots I estimate the distance between SPL and DETSI is about 30 miles, so you can't enter a fix of more than 30 miles from SPL. You can try to enter SPL/-20 and see if that works.If you still want a SPL/-40 fix, I'm afraid that you have to clear the waypoints DETSI and RIVER first. After that you should be able to enter SPL/-40.

Tom,Your problem is, just like I told you btw, that the distance between SPL and DETSI is less than 40 miles. It is only possible to enter a fix relative to a waypoint
It's Lorenzo asking, not me.Tom