Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan_b

Unable to download

Guest Jordan_b

Its been a while (about 3 months) that I cant download from the AVSIM Libraries.I beleive its started when I changed ISP, but from then I changed back to my old one (which with this ISP I had no trouble of downloading for 5 years) and still I cant download.Im receiving "The page cannot be displayed"I would appreciate any help.

Guest Gary Buska

Hello from AvsimI need to know what you are using for a browser? In general I would suggest that you clear all of your cookies for starters. Also make sure any firewall you might use has AVSIM as a trusted site. If you are using IE you might want to consider using FireFox as that is what I and most of the AVSIM staff use for a browser, go to this link to check out firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/Once I know what browser you are using I can provide more detailed information

Guest Jordan_b

Im using IE, to be honest, never paid attention to it and dont know the version, but definitely not a new one.Just tried to delete the cookies but it still not downloading.I dont think its the IE problem since I didnt have any problems with it before...

Guest Gary Buska
Im using IE, to be honest, never paid attention to it and dont know the version, but definitely not a new one.Just tried to delete the cookies but it still not downloading.I dont think its the IE problem since I didnt have any problems with it before...
Trust me when I tell you that when you update your system with window updates it can and will change settings without you knowing it.Try the following; You need to put www.avsim.com, www.avsim.net, library.avsim.net and forums.avsim.net in your trusted sites list. You do this by clicking on TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, SECURITY tab, and then high lite TRUSTED SITES, and click on SITES. UNCHECK the box that requires SERVER VERIFICATION (HTTPS) and add the Avsim URL addresses.This is one of the reason why most of us here at avsim use FirefoxAlso like I said before make sure you check any firewall and your antivirus program as well programs like Norton Mcafee have there own fire walls and also a place to set trusted sites.

Guest Jordan_b

I dont think thats the problem. Didnt look like I have a problem with the firewall, also tried it on a Firefox but still nothing.

When you said you "don't think" that's the problem... did you actually check or are you prejudging? Gary did make a very valid point that some tiny settings can be changed without your knowledge so it is worth checking them to potentially avoid much headache later.

Guest Jordan_b

yes, did check, im using the Windows Firewall and after I turned it off it still didnt download..

Guest Gary Buska
yes, did check, im using the Windows Firewall and after I turned it off it still didnt download..
What about your anti virus program? If you use Mcafee or Norton they both have to be set up the same way as your browser.If this does not work. I do not know what else to tell you.

Guest Jordan_b

Im using AVG, and to be honest I tried all over the place and couldnt find where the settings of, well, anything

Guest Gary Buska
Im using AVG, and to be honest I tried all over the place and couldnt find where the settings of, well, anything
Have you looked for a security section there should be a place that you can set up trusted sites.

Let us get a few things straight first...I assume you can actually reach the site http://library.avsim.net/ and that you can log in successfully...So, you are logged into the library...Now, what exactly happens? Can you search for items in the library? As I understand it, you cannot actually download the item. Can you "ZipDive" the library item?Let us trouble shoot this stage by stage...Andrew

Hi allI've been having the same problem for years now. I have done everything that has written on this forum and other.The only browser that seems to work here is IE6, which i have been using for many years now. I just saw that the new IE8 was out and tried to install it, but no luck on AVSIM's ftp server. I dont know about this, it's just a hunch. Can it be that the chipset is the problem here, and has nothing to do with software.It is always when it tries to contact the ftp server, IE goes blank, Firefox wants a password for the ftp server, ie. logon screen, although i am logged in.Well back to your question. Try to intall IE6, and see what happens.RegardsSoren

Guest Jordan_b
Let us get a few things straight first...I assume you can actually reach the site http://library.avsim.net/ and that you can log in successfully...So, you are logged into the library...Now, what exactly happens? Can you search for items in the library? As I understand it, you cannot actually download the item. Can you "ZipDive" the library item?Let us trouble shoot this stage by stage...Andrew
yea, i can log in and search for files, and yes I can ZipDive.but after I press "download" it tells me "the page cannot be displayed"and on Firefox the page just turns white

yea, i can log in and search for files, and yes I can ZipDive.but after I press "download" it tells me "the page cannot be displayed"and on Firefox the page just turns white
Trust me... the issue lies on your machine and within your settings. Check your firewall to allow library.avsim.net. Allow cookies from the same URL and do all that is listed in the library forum. I use Firefox and have no issues downloading. I also check with IE8, Chrome and Apple's new browser. All work.