Sign in to follow this  
datter

Real world improvement from overclocking a Q6600?

Hi all, I've been reading about overclocking quite heavily and am curious if anyone can shed any light on the real world benefits within FSX and overclocking a Q6600? I'm not looking for how-to's (reading enough of that) or definitive answers saying I will see a gain of X fps, or X amount of smoothness etc... but rather just a feel for whether all this OC stuff is worth it as far as flying around in FSX is concerned. All that said, I just bought a CPU cooler today (an OCZ Vendetta 2) as I'm likely to pull the trigger and do this regardless... but I'm curious if all my reading and efforts are going to yield much goodness in the end. Here are my system specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz 8MBOCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 (1150MHz DDR2) Reaper HPC Edition (2x 1gb)ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe LGA775 MotherboardBFG 8800GT OC 512MB PCIe Video Cards (x2 SLI)OCZ GameXstream 850W SLI PSUWestern Digital Raptor 150Gb 10000Rpm WD1500ADFD (x2)Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3
So, any guesses as to real world benefits to overclocking this (maybe to 3.2 or so?). If I'm gaining 2 fps or some such I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Also, any guesses as to how well this rig will react to overclocking in as far as the components are concerned? From what I've read it this system should react well to OC'ing.Any opinions are welcome. Thanks,datter

Guest simjunkie
Hi all, I've been reading about overclocking quite heavily and am curious if anyone can shed any light on the real world benefits within FSX and overclocking a Q6600? I'm not looking for how-to's (reading enough of that) or definitive answers saying I will see a gain of X fps, or X amount of smoothness etc... but rather just a feel for whether all this OC stuff is worth it as far as flying around in FSX is concerned. All that said, I just bought a CPU cooler today (an OCZ Vendetta 2) as I'm likely to pull the trigger and do this regardless... but I'm curious if all my reading and efforts are going to yield much goodness in the end. Here are my system specs:So, any guesses as to real world benefits to overclocking this (maybe to 3.2 or so?). If I'm gaining 2 fps or some such I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Also, any guesses as to how well this rig will react to overclocking in as far as the components are concerned? From what I've read it this system should react well to OC'ing.Any opinions are welcome. Thanks,datter
The CPU and memory subsystem is horribly overburdened by FSX. It'll stay that way for a while until the HW catches up (and by "catch up" I mean "be able to run a crappy program so fast that it overcomes that burden"). For FSX, overclocking is a way of life.You won't see leaps and bounds gains. Just get that Q up above 3GHz, as close to 3.6GHz as you can (they won't go much higher and a lot won't even do 3.6 anymore). You also want the memory overclocked as well. In FSX the best combination is the fastest memory speed at the lowest timings you can get. DDR2 is very limited here and fast DDR3 really does wonders for clear visuals and eliminating scenery popping and blurries.Faster cpu speeds equal faster FPS but don't look at it that way. You want smooth, stutter-free flight with clear visuals. Anything close to 30 fps will be plenty. Don't chase that FPS counter! You will gain a few fps as you clock up to 3.6, but there are other things in FSX benefitting from the overclock.Those are decent specs you have, you're not running those two Vraptors on motherboard raid are you? That would be bad.-jk

No sir, no Raid happening here. Also not overly concerned with FPS, I hate that damned counter. :) I'm after smoothness first, and the possibility of maybe turning up some detail.

Hi all, I've been reading about overclocking quite heavily and am curious if anyone can shed any light on the real world benefits within FSX and overclocking a Q6600? I'm not looking for how-to's (reading enough of that) or definitive answers saying I will see a gain of X fps, or X amount of smoothness etc... but rather just a feel for whether all this OC stuff is worth it as far as flying around in FSX is concerned. All that said, I just bought a CPU cooler today (an OCZ Vendetta 2) as I'm likely to pull the trigger and do this regardless... but I'm curious if all my reading and efforts are going to yield much goodness in the end. Here are my system specs:So, any guesses as to real world benefits to overclocking this (maybe to 3.2 or so?). If I'm gaining 2 fps or some such I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Also, any guesses as to how well this rig will react to overclocking in as far as the components are concerned? From what I've read it this system should react well to OC'ing.Any opinions are welcome. Thanks,datter
I run my Q6600 at 3.0 using the factory heatsink/fan without any temperature issues, so that is a no-brainer.Beyond that, you need to watch your temperatures, but every bit is just raw, free computer power, so definitely worth it.

Bert

Guest D17S

The overall performance improvement will run 1:1 with any increased clock. For instance, 2.4 to 3.6 is a 50% clock increase and will produce a 50% performance increase. Simple as that. Ram speed increase will only produce subjectively arguable increases in performance. Don't bother with that. Go for the Real game changer. 3.6Ghz is the target clock for a Q6600. Get it there, and no doubt will remain that a Significant performance increase has occured. And BTW, at 3.6 a Q6600/DDR2-800/4G ($200+50 combo) system will provide performance commensurate with a stock clocked i7965/DDR3-1600/6G ($1000+500 combo) system. Not bad for an - appreciating (!) - $200 CPU.

Well given my Q6600 is a G0 I figure that will help me as far as temps go, and this with Vendetta cooler in place I hope to keep it under 65deg under load but we'll see. My first and only major concern is whether this Vendetta will even fit into my case given that I have two big 8800GT's in there. I've yet to crack it open for measuring but not knowing at this point is a mighty concern of mine. I should get time to check into that this evening.Disregarding my worries about the cooler fitting in there this is all very, very encouraging gentlemen and I thank you.

Well given my Q6600 is a G0 I figure that will help me as far as temps go, and this with Vendetta cooler in place I hope to keep it under 65deg under load but we'll see. My first and only major concern is whether this Vendetta will even fit into my case given that I have two big 8800GT's in there. I've yet to crack it open for measuring but not knowing at this point is a mighty concern of mine. I should get time to check into that this evening.Disregarding my worries about the cooler fitting in there this is all very, very encouraging gentlemen and I thank you.
I'm getting 55 C under load at 3.2G on my 6600 cooled by Artic Cooler 31 or less idle

I'm getting 55 C under load at 3.2G on my 6600 cooled by Artic Cooler 31 or less idle
How long have you had it overclocked now, and is it stable?

Guest simjunkie
The overall performance improvement will run 1:1 with any increased clock. For instance, 2.4 to 3.6 is a 50% clock increase and will produce a 50% performance increase. Simple as that. Ram speed increase will only produce subjectively arguable increases in performance. Don't bother with that. Go for the Real game changer. 3.6Ghz is the target clock for a Q6600. Get it there, and no doubt will remain that a Significant performance increase has occured. And BTW, at 3.6 a Q6600/DDR2-800/4G ($200+50 combo) system will provide performance commensurate with a stock clocked i7965/DDR3-1600/6G ($1000+500 combo) system. Not bad for an - appreciating (!) - $200 CPU.
You're full of it Sam. Don't come here and spew your opinions about what an i7 can or cannot do. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE ONE!!! You non-educated comments just mislead people.-jk

Guest UlfB
Sam,I didn't follow your advice when I built myself a new computer and I'm very happy that I didn't. Enough said.

Guest D17S

Darn, and ya could have bought us all pizza with all that $$$ ya wasted cuz still, at 3.6 Q6600@3.6 and i7/965@stock systems are ~ equal in FS performance. The OP was asking about the potential of a Q6600. Seems to be a bit of uber-defensive i7 buyer's remorse going on. The I7s sure are wound up about something, that's for sure. It appears to me they really might get it (ie "ooops!"). Watch for the following responses.

Guest simjunkie
Darn, and ya could have bought us all pizza with all that $$$ ya wasted cuz still, at 3.6 Q6600@3.6 and i7/965@stock systems are ~ equal in FS performance. The OP was asking about the potential of a Q6600. Seems to be a bit of uber-defensive i7 buyer's remorse going on. The I7s sure are wound up about something, that's for sure. It appears to me they really might get it (ie "ooops!"). Watch for the following responses.
I'm not trying to bash the Q6600 Sam. Is is what it is and does a decent job when it's overclocked. I've had it but needed more, and it's no match for the clocked i7.The i7'ers are just sick and tired of "Sam The Professor" talking out his rearend. Sam, you simply argue against the advice of people who have far higher knowledge and experience in computer science, especially with FS, then you do. It's laughable how you challenge this. And you don't even have the parts you seem to know so much about. I'm just trying to set the record straight for the OP or anyone else who reads. You're the one who comes in here and goes way beyond the topic with your limited understanding and generalizations.But I know you have fun with it and just do it to antagonize us "i7ers" into whatever you can get out of us. I know you would never go into a University lecture hall during a computer science class and tell a real professor or EE what you think you know.People here realize that we have a DIRECT line to the best advice you can get for this subject. Hands down no contest! Initials NN. He pops in & out from time to time and he really does know what he is talking about. I'm just spreading that word along as best as I can. And Sam you just like to have fun trying to get his goat.Taking advice from you Sam is like getting information from Wikipedia, or the best buy geek squad, or the sales associates at Fry's. -jk