Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Could someone post a few full screenprints of widescreen FSX?

Widescreen or 4:3--which is best for FSX?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like best, 4:3 or widescreen?

• 4:3
    • widescreen

I may need to get a new display since the backlight on this samsung is flickering now for a few minutes at start up. It is a 4:3 display. I would like to see how FSX handles widescreen so post a full shot of a couple of views if you would. It would be much appreciated . . .Also, if you want, respond to the poll survey on which you would rather be simming on widescreen or 4:3. Thanks!Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I may need to get a new display since the backlight on this samsung is flickering now for a few minutes at start up. It is a 4:3 display. I would like to see how FSX handles widescreen so post a full shot of a couple of views if you would. It would be much appreciated . . .Also, if you want, respond to the poll survey on which you would rather be simming on widescreen or 4:3. Thanks!Noel
Here you go.. 1680x1050 on an LG 22"

Bert

Guest UlfB

Image from 1900x1200 LCD monitor over Vancouver+Edited: I reduced the image before uploading.

Noel,Here is a link to the monitor that I currently run FSX on at 1900x1200. It is the best bang for the buck for FSX and the price on this monitor has dropped over $200 since I purchased mine. I will post some full resolution screens for you later when I return from home from work.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824254026

Noel,Here are some screens at full resolution 1900 x 1200. Click them to look at them full res.

Noel,Here are some screens at full resolution 1900 x 1200. Click them to look at them full res.
Great, thank you for that. I'll check it out. Will that resolution cost me any performance do you think?Also, what has me wondering is the distored 2D panels. Can you post a shot showing 2D panels from a plane or two? It seems 4:3 displays have all but disappeared, but I just would like to see how the widescreens handle 2D panels.Thanks again Sarg.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Prompted by your pictures, I went and had a look at Rio for the first time in FSX...even though the Tahiti airlines plane appeared a bit off course... :( (it kind of looked like Rio, so I assume that is where the picture was taken..)Boy, is this ever nicely done!!After Hawaii / Kauaii which I love for sheer scenery, this is another great area to explore!Thanks for the hint !

Bert

Prompted by your pictures, I went and had a look at Rio for the first time in FSX...even though the Tahiti airlines plane appeared a bit off course... :( (it kind of looked like Rio, so I assume that is where the picture was taken..)Boy, is this ever nicely done!!After Hawaii / Kauaii which I love for sheer scenery, this is another great area to explore!Thanks for the hint !
Bert,Your are absolutley correct. Those shots are from Rio and ACES did a wondeful job with the graphics in this area. This is one of my favorite areas to frequent.Noel,With your particular hardware any performance decrease will be minimal. 2D panels will be distorted a little bit however, there are widescreen replacements available for many aircraft. I will post some 2D panels after work.

But terrain itself looks "stretched" on wide screen. Is there a wide screen version of the actual terrain in FSX?

But terrain itself looks "stretched" on wide screen. Is there a wide screen version of the actual terrain in FSX?
Michal,I'm sorry but you are mistaken. Terrain is not strectched in anyway, shape, or fashion in widescreen mode. The only thing that will be distorted are stock 2D panels or panels that do not have widescreen replacements. The environment (autogen and terrain) and the VC will display properly.

Bert,Your are absolutley correct. Those shots are from Rio and ACES did a wondeful job with the graphics in this area. This is one of my favorite areas to frequent.
Have you got some non-standard buildings/autogen? GEX.. or something else?

Bert

Have you got some non-standard buildings/autogen? GEX.. or something else?
Bert,I am using the GEX autogen buildings. Other than that everything is stock.

Guest Staggerwing

Please, screen shots like this go in the "Screen shot" forum. Simply refer others to your screen shots you post there from here.. Since the original poster has seen them now, they will be deleted to keep the forum from a slow down..In the future please use the Screen shot forum to show screen shots like this that do not depict a problem or solution to a problem, but stay within the posting rules there also.Thanks for your help in keeping Avsim cleaned up and moving smoothly.

Thanks Sarg. I decided 1900 x 1200 was too much penalty for running titles such as Crysis, which I do run. It's about a 15% penalty which I prefer not to put up with with the settings I prefer. After a bit of research I discovered this monitor that looks perfect for my situation: Dell UltraSharp 2209WA. It's only 1680 x 1050, but this is similar to what I'm used to so should be ok. Also, 24+" is just too wide for ergonmic considerations. I have to sit somewhat close to the screen. It is an e-IPS panel with 178/178 viewing angle, which I need for my music studio as I'm always viewing my screen from an angle when I am sitting on the piano bench. Response time will be adequate from most or all reports. It will do much better with blacks than my current Samsung 20" screen, so nicer for night flying. Colors are touted to be perfect. If for some reason there are issues for FSX with this one my honey needs a new screen and this would be perfect for her too. It has USB hub built in as well as well, plus is full adjustable. 3y warranty. My only hesitation was in the pixel pitch, but from all reports this screen is really nice. Should be here in a few days.

Noel