Sign in to follow this  
Gumps

FSX and a Multi Monitor Journey

Thanks for posting your setup information and photos.As a builder, we are always interested in what others are doing with outside views from the cockpit.I'm getting ready to try and set up a WidevieW network solution myself in a few days when the parts arrive. I've been using a 24" monitor for my only outside view now for a little over 18 months. I'm going to try and add a left & right 45

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

---------------------Regarding WidevieW...one can certainly get a greater FOV. You can just keep adding more side screens. The vertical view is a bit more challenging. I wonder if someone has lined up the outside view screens with them all rotated 90 deg? It would take more screens to get the same lateral FOV, but the vertical FOV would be increased. Maybe it's not needed. After all, the flight deck windows in an airliner limit up and down quite a bit. Dunno.Thanks for sharing...very, very nice.Noel WBrisbane
------------Noel, here is a composite pic to illustrate your point- the view in a jet is remarkably narrow vertically- but wide to let the crew see what's around them.Alex ReidPMDG 747 triple views & inset, the real McCoy for comparison! (Inset photo courtesy Manuel Marin/jetphotos.net)

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

Yes, vertically there's not much height to worry about. The forward view is pretty well handled with the 24" and covers nearly the whole window opening top to bottom. If I had just another 2" or so it would be perfect. That would mean moving to about a 28" monitor (which wouldn't be all that bad! just costly). The part that isn't covered correctly is where the glareshield slopes down toward the #2 window.For experimenting with the WidevieW side views I'll only be using 19" monitors I have on hand at the moment. If succesful then I will move to a pair of 24" or 28" monitors. I really hope for a higher immersion level in the sim.I gave some thought to using the TH2G digital version, but I don't really want or need that wide of a forward view. More to the sides for better SA in visual conditions. It'd be nice to watch the scenery moving by at FL330 too. I see a lot of smaller airports in FS that don't make it to the Hi-Altitude charts I use to navigate.You have a great visual cockpit. It wouldn't take too much effort to wrap all of that in a hardware sim.Here you can see where the screen is missing the view as the glareshield slopes toward the #2 window (this was before I disabled the VC using a hex editor):IMG_0092-1.jpg

------- I really hope for a higher immersion level in the sim.I gave some thought to using the TH2G digital version, but I don't really want or need that wide of a forward view. More to the sides for better SA in visual conditions. It'd be nice to watch the scenery moving by at FL330 too. I see a lot of smaller airports in FS that don't make it to the Hi-Altitude charts I use to navigate.You have a great visual cockpit. It wouldn't take too much effort to wrap all of that in a hardware sim.IMG_0092-1.jpg
-------------------I vote for the widest view possible- as an attempt to replicate the normal human 180

-------------------I vote for the widest view possible- as an attempt to replicate the normal human 180

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Very nice report Noel!Nice to see a TouchBuddy user in the FSX world, there don't seem to be too many of us!I'm just getting into FSX myself though (this is actually my first post here!), but now I'm totally hooked :DI must say having a touchscreen running touchbuddy really enhances the experience! My shorttime-memory is no good for remembering pages and pages of keyboard-commands lolThe Touchbuddy profile I'm using is for FS9, so it's lacking a lot to say the least, allthough very helpful at the same time!I have some experience with the TB-profiler (did some work on a profile for DCS Black Shark ie.), and I am really interested in having a closer look at your touchbuddy-profile if you're willing to share!Cheers,Trond

Guest n707jt

Hi Noel!I was searching around the forum when I came across your post. Very informative! I am actually tasked to redesign my uni's flight simulator (in sydney... ) and your review has just got me a few ideas on how to run it. I am not too sure if this works but if I were to crossfire/dual SLI with 4 DVI ports, can I output to 4 LCDs?

Hi Noel!I was searching around the forum when I came across your post. Very informative! I am actually tasked to redesign my uni's flight simulator (in sydney... ) and your review has just got me a few ideas on how to run it. I am not too sure if this works but if I were to crossfire/dual SLI with 4 DVI ports, can I output to 4 LCDs?
Some awesome shots of multi monitors using FSX.I too am a non-current pilot, got my IR some 5 years ago. I also have 2 monitors, used usually so that I can work on one (Excel, e-mail, etc.) when working from home, and have an DSX session on the other. My monitors are at 12 and 3 o'clock from my head, so not joined or even in close proximaty to each other.I tried undocking a VC view (from New View), moving it to the 3 o'clock monitor, then panning the view to look out over the right wing. That worked OK, other than the undocked view is very small, but when putting the 12 o'clock view back in focus, the pan control still works on the 3 o'clock monitor. How do I set up a simple side wing view on one monitor?Thanks, Bruce.

HiIf you are suggesting installing two PCIe cards in a machine, and running four monitors from the 2+2 DVI ports, I think the answer is "yes", but I don't think they would be in SLI or Crossfire mode. I have no experience with SLI...so others may be better at addressing that aspect.You might have a look at this thread, as the use of individual monitors on separate ports is discussed. I'm using TH2go as I'm sure you noticed.Need Help with Mulitiple Monitor SetupIf you have a generous budget, you ought to be able to build a great system. You'll have to be sure and let us all know what you end up doing. Sounds exciting.Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Why's everybody keeping all these monitors to themselves? Watch this though; some other simulation fanatic just entered the Guinness Book of World Records today with the most expensive homebrew simulator: http://www.hyway.com.au/747/index.htmlMakes me, my 2 screens, 1 networked PC, M-panel, Yoke and pedals feel very humble. Even though my wife says it's quite enough... :(

Guest n707jt
HiIf you are suggesting installing two PCIe cards in a machine, and running four monitors from the 2+2 DVI ports, I think the answer is "yes", but I don't think they would be in SLI or Crossfire mode. I have no experience with SLI...so others may be better at addressing that aspect.You might have a look at this thread, as the use of individual monitors on separate ports is discussed. I'm using TH2go as I'm sure you noticed.Need Help with Mulitiple Monitor SetupIf you have a generous budget, you ought to be able to build a great system. You'll have to be sure and let us all know what you end up doing. Sounds exciting.Noel WBrisbane
Hi Noel!Thanks for your reply!Well I will go see it and I will go back to uni tomorrow and snap some pictures of the current simulation set up. I will then speak to my supervisor to see he is interested in how many screen set up. I believe they are currently running only ONE projector in front. I was told to add some side views. In addition, I am required to wire a small touch screen LCD on the pedestal up to some sort of a moving map preferably with a high res for Australia. Does FSMap has that? Oh yes I am a BEng Aerospace Engg student from the University of New South Wales by the way. :(Cheers,Casper

Hi Noel!Thanks for your reply!Well I will go see it and I will go back to uni tomorrow and snap some pictures of the current simulation set up. I will then speak to my supervisor to see he is interested in how many screen set up. I believe they are currently running only ONE projector in front. I was told to add some side views. In addition, I am required to wire a small touch screen LCD on the pedestal up to some sort of a moving map preferably with a high res for Australia. Does FSMap has that? Oh yes I am a BEng Aerospace Engg student from the University of New South Wales by the way. :(Cheers,Casper
Hi CasperRegarding FS Map, while they don't provide maps of Australia, (it comes with maps of several European countries), you can load and calibrate your own maps. That's what I have done. I'd imagine you can get digitized versions of aviation charts for Australia (I'm living here but not from here) and then calibrate them. You can download a demo of FSMap which I think works for 30 days, to see if it will suit your needs. Can't beat that.Keep in mind that performance is much better with FSMap on a second, networked computer. Which sounds like it would work well for what you're trying to do. And it does not have to be a 'go fast' computer. I ran it just fine on an old P4 2.8. Coupled with TouchBuddy and another screen, you could create your own instructor's station, just like the big sims. OK...well sort of like the big sims.Good luck in your studies.Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Guest Snacko

Nice setup Gumps! Glad to see your enjoying TB.