Sign in to follow this  
Plainplane

Need Help with Multiple Monitor Setup

I have had this problem with a GeForce 9800GX2 with one monitor, and I returned the card. Now I am having another similar problem right now on my work computer.The work computer has a PNY GeForce 8600GT 512MB superclocked, and I have a 20" screen with a resolution of 1680x1050 as my primary screen, and a 19" screen with a resolution of 1280 x1024 as my number 2 screen, positioned to the left of the primary screen.My number 2 screen does not work in FS. I do not know how to configure it to work separately from the primary monitor.Secondly, I am also having the problem that I had with the 9800GX2. When I go to the menu and click an option, the dialog box I want is hidden behind the flight, thus resulting in a frozen screen. This problem does not exist in Windowed mode.My desire is for the number 2 monitor to have an exterior view, while the primary screen has a cockpit view.How do I fix this? Any advice?

Guest fleahead

I presume this is in XP, and if so, right click on your desktop, then choose "Properties" then "Settings". If you have set the GPU up properly in the nVidia desktop managerl, then you should see both your monitors there. You then have to drag the little icons into the physical arraingement of your two monitors. (#2 screen over to the left of your #1 screen). You may already know all about this, but it's the first place to start. If you haven't set up the nVidia manager yet, you need to do that first.

That was one of the first things I did.The specs of this system are:Shuttle SG-31Microsoft Windows XP ProfessionalWestern Digital Caviar 80GB Hard DriveIntel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4 GHz4GB DDR2 800 RAMPNY GeForce 8600 512MB Superclocked EditionAll Windows Updates are installed, using NVidia drivers version 182.06 (WHQL) and FSX SP1.

Guest fleahead

So, outside of FSX, you can drag documents and so forth over onto the 2nd screen?

Do oyu have FSX in full screen, it has to be in windowed mode to use more then one screen. Also have to make sure in fsx that both monitors are set to the same resolution.

So I can't do a multi-monitor setup if both of them use different resolutions?

You can have different resolution screens. I have three WS monitors which display my VC and a 4x3 one which I use for 2D panels. But Mjrhealth is right about windowed mode. You can't do the multi monitor thing in full screen mode. You undock whichever view you want in windowed mode and drag your new view to your other screen.

Mike Beckwith

You can have different resolution screens. I have three WS monitors which display my VC and a 4x3 one which I use for 2D panels. But Mjrhealth is right about windowed mode. You can't do the multi monitor thing in full screen mode. You undock whichever view you want in windowed mode and drag your new view to your other screen.
Same here- I've never been able to use my triple mon setup with Full Screen. And tried many times!But you can easily modify the appearance of the Windowed mode screens so they look very similar to Full Scr. For an explanation and screenshot to show the result, see the FS9 forum- look for topic- "A 2+ year Ongoing Problem"- March 6.Get rid of those horrible MS blue bars!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 135

Same here- I've never been able to use my triple mon setup with Full Screen. And tried many times!But you can easily modify the appearance of the Windowed mode screens so they look very similar to Full Scr. For an explanation and screenshot to show the result, see the FS9 forum- look for topic- "A 2+ year Ongoing Problem"- March 6.Get rid of those horrible MS blue bars!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 135

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

I'm not sure why you folks are unable to run multiple monitors in 'full screen', but that's exactly how I run my machine, and have for a long time (if I'm understanding you all correctly). And I have a mix of screen resolutions: 3840x1024 and 1440x900. I have noticed that even though I have the resolutions set correctly in WinXP, I have to make sure that each graphics adapter in FSX is set correctly (in my case there are four)...and to start with they are often wrong, like instead of 1440x900, it's 1024x768. But, the correct resolution is available to select.On my machine, I get better frame rates/smoothness with 'full screen' mode, and the unused portions of my screens are black. Only the particular panel popup shows, of course with no borders. And too, my main instrument panel is actually spreadout over the outside view screens in windowed mode (the top center post), but that portion (that I don't want to see) disappears in 'full screen'.My experience also dictates the outside (3D) view should always be on the primary video, with instrument panels on the secondary. YMMVNoel WBrisbane
Noel- My set up is generating 3 synched Views- LFwd, Fwd, RFwd, while TH2Go produces a single View Fwd- stretched over 3 mons. I'm pretty sure that is why Full Screen goes crazy for me!!!! But there are ways to modify the Windowed config so everything looks like it's in Full Screen! No horrible MS blue bars!Alex Reid

Noel- My set up is generating 3 synched Views- LFwd, Fwd, RFwd, while TH2Go produces a single View Fwd- stretched over 3 mons. I'm pretty sure that is why Full Screen goes crazy for me!!!! But there are ways to modify the Windowed config so everything looks like it's in Full Screen! No horrible MS blue bars!Alex Reid
Hi AlexNow I follow you; I understand how you have yours set up. And I can see why the 'full screen' is a problem, with multiple outside views on different monitors. I only run panels on secondary monitors. I wonder if that's what the others are doing as well. (??) Sounds like you've found a way to minimize the 'windowed' mode side effects...yet another way to skin the cat! Nice work.Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Guest highflight1985

So, now I'm a little confused...Which one of you is using TripleHead2Go; which one of you is using multiple video cards; and which one of you is using a single video card and spreading views across the three monitors in windowed mode? And, more importantly, why did you chose that setup over the other two options I mentioned?I ask this because, in time, I expect I'll be adding a second, and even later, a third monitor. I'm trying to research which method would be best for me. I intend to use the three monitors to expand my viewfield of the outside world from a meager 19" monitor's 45

So, now I'm a little confused...Which one of you is using TripleHead2Go; which one of you is using multiple video cards; and which one of you is using a single video card and spreading views across the three monitors in windowed mode? And, more importantly, why did you chose that setup over the other two options I mentioned?I ask this because, in time, I expect I'll be adding a second, and even later, a third monitor. I'm trying to research which method would be best for me. I intend to use the three monitors to expand my viewfield of the outside world from a meager 19" monitor's 45