Sign in to follow this  
falk781

Project Black Skies - Core I7 965

What settings are you using and FPS are you typically getting?Also, what antialiasing setting are you using and are you using nHancer?

If he is running a x64 system Prime 95 is not the best tool! It will give you errors even if there are none! Take a look at the tool "LinX" intel and IBM use it to test the super computers!WARNING! LinX will heat up you CPU like HELL! So far no game or anyother benchmark will ever heat it up!
It's called Linpack. The tool the OP used (OCCT) is actually just a front-end for Linpack.

What settings are you using and FPS are you typically getting?Also, what antialiasing setting are you using and are you using nHancer?
Ok here are some answers:I am getting 50 to 60 frames at altitude with ASA and sliders set as per Nick N's instructions - extremely dense. Running NHancer and only TBM and BP modified in theconfig file. When using "extremely Dense" some times it creates microstutters but it could also be the BP, which I may remove. I need to get this memory thing sorted out first.The radiator mounts out side because it's way to big to fit inside without kinking the hoses. Also, the Antec 1200 has 3-120 mm fans mounted in the drivebays in the front, of which one drivebay had to be removed to house the oversize coolant tank. The hoses are so tight on the barbs, I had to boil them and use dishwashing liquid.

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

Ok here are some answers:I am getting 50 to 60 frames at altitude with ASA and sliders set as per Nick N's instructions - extremely dense. Running NHancer and only TBM and BP modified in theconfig file. When using "extremely Dense" some times it creates microstutters but it could also be the BP, which I may remove. I need to get this memory thing sorted out first.
What about on the ground, and with what AI?I am trying to figure out what to expect with my system (once it eventually works).

What about on the ground, and with what AI?I am trying to figure out what to expect with my system (once it eventually works).
I am a share the cockpit instructor at Boston Virtual ATC so I fly constantly in MP. My boats and ground traffic is set to about 40% and I don't completely remember about the AI. It's probably set to medium.

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

How much did this build cost?I'm only wondering because wouldn't it be cheaper to get a i7 940, a lesser PSU, and GPU, and you could still get that sweet spot 4.0GHz?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest simjunkie
I am a share the cockpit instructor at Boston Virtual ATC so I fly constantly in MP. My boats and ground traffic is set to about 40% and I don't completely remember about the AI. It's probably set to medium.
I would get that ground traffic (cars right?) below 15%. It's murder on the cpu. It'll drag your system down even with the i7. If you have Ultimate Terrain X and it's updated then traffic needs to be below 10%.If you have default FSX AI then that needs to be set low too, around 25% or less. Addon AI helps to relieve the burden while giving more aircraft at the gates and in the skys than the default and you can raise the level to 59%.Don't set the water higher than 2x low.Those three things are killers. AI and traffic on the cpu and water on the graphics card (and cpu too). Trees murder the graphics card too because they're coded like crap in FSX. So if you fly with full autogen in a lot of trees expect slow performance.Hope that helps.-jk

How much did this build cost?I'm only wondering because wouldn't it be cheaper to get a i7 940, a lesser PSU, and GPU, and you could still get that sweet spot 4.0GHz?
Yes it would have been alot cheaper, for sure. I built the whole system but as my memory timing thread shows overclocking is not an overnight thing. So far, this has been leaps and bounds over my quad core.With the dual monitors it was well over 4K albeit I bought very good equipment. With both machines running and all three monitors, it's pulling over 620 watts on my 1500W APC.

Scott Falkowitz

Guest UlfB
With both machines running and all three monitors, it's pulling over 620 watts on my 1500W APC.
That explains the blackout last night :(

WOW a very cool system :( But why have you mounted the cooling radiator outside the case and not inside the case, like in my build.By the way my project is called freezingsysteem1.jpg
Nice modern looking system!