Sign in to follow this  
trisager

Two captains

Hi,In the British voice set, when I brief the approach, the US captain's voice cuts in for a few seconds about halfway into the brief, then back to the British captain. Is there something wrong with my setup, or do you hear the same?Also, with the altimeter set to HP, I'm getting the barometer read out in InHg instead of HP. As far as I remember this is handled correctly with the US voice set.Tom

Hi,In the British voice set, when I brief the approach, the US captain's voice cuts in for a few seconds about halfway into the brief, then back to the British captain. Is there something wrong with my setup, or do you hear the same?Also, with the altimeter set to HP, I'm getting the barometer read out in InHg instead of HP. As far as I remember this is handled correctly with the US voice set.Tom
Hi Tom,Which specific brief? I'll pass this over to my Voice Set Manager, Kimmo Kyle. I'm sure he'll respond shortly.Altimeter: I'd have to double check my code, but I recall the altimeter setting as read back is based your aircraft's physical location (North America or non-North America), not the position of the switch itself.Cheers,

Which specific brief? I'll pass this over to my Voice Set Manager, Kimmo Kyle. I'm sure he'll respond shortly.
It's the brief you deliver before commencing descent.The InHg call was made in Angola and later (on descent) in South Africa.Tom

It's the brief you deliver before commencing descent.
Hi TomWhich airports have you selected in the STAR and IAP fields in the secondary FS2Crew panel when this happens?Kimmo Kylevoice set managementFS2Crewkyle@fs2crew.com(Finland UTC +2)

Which airports have you selected in the STAR and IAP fields in the secondary FS2Crew panel when this happens?
Those would have been the generic, default ones. I didn't change them. Sorry, should have taken a screen shot, just didn't think about it.Cheers,Tom

TomPlease go to Sounds/fs2crew/767/star and play the file "generic.wav"same withSounds/fs2crew/767/iap/ and play the file "generic.wav..and confirm you're hearing the British accented briefs? If not, and the rest of the sound set works fine, something must have gone wrong with the install.Kimmo Kylevoice set managementFS2Crewkyle@fs2crew.com(Finland UTC +2)

Please go to Sounds/fs2crew/767/star and play the file "generic.wav"same withSounds/fs2crew/767/iap/ and play the file "generic.wav
It's the MD-11, not the 767 :( Anyway, after poking around a bit it turns out it is the Sound\fs2crew\MD11\iap\generic.wav that is the problem. I reinstalled the UK voice set from the start center (february version), but that particular bit is still the US captain.Tom

It's the MD-11, not the 767 :( Anyway, after poking around a bit it turns out it is the Sound\fs2crew\MD11\iap\generic.wav that is the problem. I reinstalled the UK voice set from the start center (february version), but that particular bit is still the US captain.
Haha, you got me :( been messing around with the 767 version lately..Well, that iap file thing is just odd. I just reinstalled the latest UK voice pack from the installer too, and my files are all normal.What exactly are you hearing the US Captain say then? Whatever is played back, is it part of the brief or just something in the background?Kimmo Kylevoice set managementFS2Crewkyle@fs2crew.com(Finland UTC +2)

Well, that iap file thing is just odd. I just reinstalled the latest UK voice pack from the installer too, and my files are all normal.What exactly are you hearing the US Captain say then? Whatever is played back, is it part of the brief or just something in the background?
HiDisregard the above, I may be on to something. Check the IAP's folder, does it contain both .mp3 files and .wav files as duplicates?

I think its because the generic UK 'iap' brief files are MP3 format when maybe they should be wav files! I noticed there are identical file names for the brief in the Fscrew/sound/md11/iap folder. One in *.wav format and the other *.mp3. The *.wav one has the US voice. I'm assuming the *.wav file is the correct format (US Voice) and thus brief is selecting that one with the *.mp3 files (UK) being ignored.. hope this helps. Regards...DaveKay

Disregard the above, I may be on to something. Check the IAP's folder, does it contain both .mp3 files and .wav files as duplicates?
Yes, I have two sets of files in that folder - .mp3 and .wav.Tom

Yes, I have two sets of files in that folder - .mp3 and .wav.Tom
That's it then... and I assume when you play the "generic.MP3" file it is correct?There's the problem. The UK iap files are incorrectly in mp3 format for some reason, that is why the installer is not replacing the original US wav files. The program obviously has hard time deciding which file to use.This can easily be sorted and a patch released soon. In the meantime you can delete all US .wav files from the iap folder. Im not fully sure if FS2Crew can play mp3's though..Thanks for pointing this out :(

This can easily be sorted and a patch released soon. In the meantime you can delete all US .wav files from the iap folder. Im not fully sure if FS2Crew can play mp3's though..
OK, thanks for looking into this.It seems that FS2Crew does play the mp3's - I did get British voices for everything except a few seconds of the approach briefing.Tom