In my new build, I'm using OCZ 777-24 but for some reason, it's showing up in CPUZ as 999-24. Any idea why this is. It seems to look that way in the bios as well? ASUS Rampage II and it's up to date.

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

Guest Nick_N
In my new build, I'm using OCZ 777-24 but for some reason, it's showing up in CPUZ as 999-24. Any idea why this is. It seems to look that way in the bios as well? ASUS Rampage II and it's up to date.
Go into your BIOS and set up the memory speed and timing correctlyMemory Timing is listed in CPUz if you dont know the cross from what CPUz listed to your BIOS, here it is:CPUz - BIOS - ValueCAS# Latency (CL) - DRAM CAS# LATENCY = 7RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) - DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 7RAS# Precharge (tRP) - DRAM RAS# PRE TIME = 7Cycle Time (tRAS) - DRAM RAS# ACT TIME=24Then set the DRAM speed to the nearest value to 1600 without going overQPI DRAM Voltage = 1.35DRAM Voltage 1.65In a clock you will not run the full 1600 unless you are running a high BCLOCK. The purpose of purchasing the 1600 memory was so you had room to clock. You will most likely end up somewhere between 1540 and 1600 in a clock and that depends on what the top end is on the system for stable clock.

Go into your BIOS and set up the memory speed and timing correctlyMemory Timing is listed in CPUz if you dont know the cross from what CPUz listed to your BIOS, here it is:CPUz - BIOS - ValueCAS# Latency (CL) - DRAM CAS# LATENCY = 7RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) - DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 7RAS# Precharge (tRP) - DRAM RAS# PRE TIME = 7Cycle Time (tRAS) - DRAM RAS# ACT TIME=24Then set the DRAM speed to the nearest value to 1600 without going overQPI DRAM Voltage = 1.35DRAM Voltage 1.65In a clock you will not run the full 1600 unless you are running a high BCLOCK. The purpose of purchasing the 1600 memory was so you had room to clock. You will most likely end up somewhere between 1540 and 1600 in a clock and that depends on what the top end is on the system for stable clock.
Is it ok to have it the BCLOCK at 172? It passed the 1 hour test... also, how high should I take the BCLOCK?

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

Nick, I did exactly as you said with the timings. They show up correctly in CPU - Z but the memory selction options in DRAM Frequency have not changed. They were and are as follows:103513791724206924132758The only way to get the DRAM freq up to 1600 is by raising BCLOCK to nearly 200 which takes the clock to 4800 MHZ. Is that too high?

Scott Falkowitz

Guest UlfB
Nick, I did exactly as you said with the timings. They show up correctly in CPU - Z but the memory selction options in DRAM Frequency have not changed. They were and are as follows:103513791724206924132758The only way to get the DRAM freq up to 1600 is by raising BCLOCK to nearly 200 which takes the clock to 4800 MHZ. Is that too high?
Change your BIOS setting for CPU Ratio to 20. With BCLOCK at 200 this will give you 4GHz. Then you should be able to choose a dram freq at 1600MHz (1604MHz if I remember it correct).Here is an article on i920 that might be helpful http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/11/0...l-core-i7-920/1

Change your BIOS setting for CPU Ratio to 20. With BCLOCK at 200 this will give you 4GHz. Then you should be able to choose a dram freq at 1600MHz (1604MHz if I remember it correct).Here is an article on i920 that might be helpful http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/11/0...l-core-i7-920/1
Just to give you an update. When I set the QPI DRAM Voltage to 1.35 from AUTO and DRAM Bus Voltage to 1.65 it BSOD's every time with the following MACHINE EXCEPTION ERROR:Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 1033Additional information about the problem: BCCode: 9c BCP1: 0000000000000006 BCP2: FFFFFA80062D47A8 BCP3: 00000000BE000000 BCP4: 0000000000300136 OS Version: 6_0_6001 Service Pack: 1_0 Product: 768_1

Scott Falkowitz

Guest UlfB
Just to give you an update. When I set the QPI DRAM Voltage to 1.35 from AUTO and DRAM Bus Voltage to 1.65 it BSOD's every time with the following MACHINE EXCEPTION ERROR:Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 1033Additional information about the problem: BCCode: 9c BCP1: 0000000000000006 BCP2: FFFFFA80062D47A8 BCP3: 00000000BE000000 BCP4: 0000000000300136 OS Version: 6_0_6001 Service Pack: 1_0 Product: 768_1
Study that article on OC:ing a 920. Contains detail information on the principle of OC:ing i7s and detailed BIOS setting information.When overclocking a CPU you need to be painfully systematic and thorough.First: Go for overclocking the CPU. Leave the memory at a low freq at this stage. OC:ing is a very time consuming process. When you've reach a stable OC with OCCT-temperatures below 80C, it's time to get the memory to 1600MHz. Second: Memory. You now have to find what multiplier and BCLOCK setting you need to set to maintain the CPU speed and get as close as you can to 1600MHz. Multiplier x BCLOCK = CPU Frequency.Here is NehalemCalc which might help you with the calculations http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...halemCalc.shtmlEdited: I got a lot of bluescreens before I reached a stable OC. That's normal procedure when you test what voltages you need to set.

Study that article on OC:ing a 920. Contains detail information on the principle of OC:ing i7s and detailed BIOS setting information.When overclocking a CPU you need to be painfully systematic and thorough.First: Go for overclocking the CPU. Leave the memory at a low freq at this stage. OC:ing is a very time consuming process. When you've reach a stable OC with OCCT-temperatures below 80C, it's time to get the memory to 1600MHz. Second: Memory. You now have to find what multiplier and BCLOCK setting you need to set to maintain the CPU speed and get as close as you can to 1600MHz. Multiplier x BCLOCK = CPU Frequency.Here is NehalemCalc which might help you with the calculations http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...halemCalc.shtmlEdited: I got a lot of bluescreens before I reached a stable OC. That's normal procedure when you test what voltages you need to set.
It's not working... I set the CPU Ratio at 20 and BCLOCK at 200 and it won't boot no matter what. I even tried changing the numbers so I had 4.1MHZ on the CPU and lowered the memory to 1595 MHZ and it still wont boot. This is completly frustrating and I don't know what else to try. Right now I'm back at 172 BCLOCK and memory speed at about 1370, as I can't get anything else to work. I have the Nehalem calculator but I don't really understand all of it.

Scott Falkowitz

Guest UlfB
It's not working... I set the CPU Ratio at 20 and BCLOCK at 200 and it won't boot no matter what. I even tried changing the numbers so I had 4.1MHZ on the CPU and lowered the memory to 1595 MHZ and it still wont boot. This is completly frustrating and I don't know what else to try. Right now I'm back at 172 BCLOCK and memory speed at about 1370, as I can't get anything else to work. I have the Nehalem calculator but I don't really understand all of it.
Obviously you expect an overclock to be a fast and mechanic activity. Change some settings in BIOS and off you go. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way.Have you read the article about OC:ing the i920 yet?

Obviously you expect an overclock to be a fast and mechanic activity. Change some settings in BIOS and off you go. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way.Have you read the article about OC:ing the i920 yet?
I read the whole thing and what I'm trying to say is that I don't know how far is too far and don't really understand the issue of the voltages.. If I have BCLOCK at 200 and the multiplier at 20 why is it crashing? Is it the voltages? Everything is set to auto because when I raised it as per Nick's instructions, it wouldn't boot that way.

Scott Falkowitz

Guest UlfB
I read the whole thing and what I'm trying to say is that I don't know how far is too far and don't really understand the issue of the voltages.. If I have BCLOCK at 200 and the multiplier at 20 why is it crashing? Is it the voltages? Everything is set to auto because when I raised it as per Nick's instructions, it wouldn't boot that way.
You have to be aware of the fact that two i7 965 CPU's don't need to be exactly the same. One might a little more voltage than the other.I'm not familiar with your mobo or your BIOS, which should be a pretty advanced one. OC:ing on my P6T is pretty simple.You have:QPI DRAM Voltage = 1.35DRAM Voltage 1.65What is your CPU Voltage?

Guest Nick_N

Wait a minute.. this is a 965?There is NO reason to change BCLOCK. Use the MULTIPLIER then memory speed will be 1600 no matter what CPU speed is setDISABLEIntel SpeedStep Tech DisabledIntel Turbo Mode Tech DisabledCPU Spread Spectrum DisabledPCI Spread Spectrum DisabledC1E Support DisabledIntel Virtualization Tech DisabledCPU TM Function DisabledIntel HT Technology Disabled <--- Hyperthreading (Note: Enabled for video encoding., disabled for coolest temp in clock as FSX has no i7 type HT support)Intel C-State Technology: Disable QPI/DRAM = 1.35v DRAM = 1.65vLOAD LINE CALIBRATION = ENABLEDVcore will be between 1.32 and 1.40v for 4GHz stable operation and you need to make damn sure the temp is less than 80c under a full load testYou must learn about clocking.. it is simple but there are rules to follow and I do not have time to walk people through all sorts of 1-2-3 steps right now, sorry

Right now the CPU voltage is at 1.41, I didn't change it.

Scott Falkowitz

Wait a minute.. this is a 965?There is NO reason to change BCLOCK. Use the MULTIPLIER then memory speed will be 1600 no matter what CPU speed is setDISABLEIntel SpeedStep Tech DisabledIntel Turbo Mode Tech DisabledCPU Spread Spectrum DisabledPCI Spread Spectrum DisabledC1E Support DisabledIntel Virtualization Tech DisabledCPU TM Function DisabledIntel HT Technology Disabled <--- Hyperthreading (Note: Enabled for video encoding., disabled for coolest temp in clock as FSX has no i7 type HT support)Intel C-State Technology: Disable QPI/DRAM = 1.35v DRAM = 1.65vLOAD LINE CALIBRATION = ENABLEDVcore will be between 1.32 and 1.40v for 4GHz stable operation and you need to make damn sure the temp is less than 80c under a full load testYou must learn about clocking.. it is simple but there are rules to follow and I do not have time to walk people through all sorts of 1-2-3 steps right now, sorry
Nick, I did everything you said to the T and did the OCCT test. It made it 35 minutes through the test, then BSOD. Temperatures were fine all the way through. The max was about 65C. I ran another OCCT test and OCCT created an error report that said "Error on Core 2" It didn't BSOD? I ran a third test and it went right to the end until the counter hit -0 and it said (Error Detected on Core#-1) Is there a Core# "minus 1" It didn't blue screen though...

Scott Falkowitz

Nick, I did everything you said to the T and did the OCCT test. It made it 35 minutes through the test, then BSOD. Temperatures were fine all the way through. The max was about 65C. I ran another OCCT test and OCCT created an error report that said "Error on Core 2" It didn't BSOD? I ran a third test and it went right to the end until the counter hit -0 and it said (Error Detected on Core#-1) Is there a Core# "minus 1" It didn't blue screen though...
Final try at OCCT, it ran for about 20 minutes and had an error on Core 0. The system seems to be stable and running ok.... Do you think this could be an issue with OCCT?

Scott Falkowitz