Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Finding individual aircraft in aircraft folder.

Hello AllI was wondering if there are any tips or perhaps utilities that enable you to quickly find an individual aircraft in the aircraft folder?Sometimes if I am editing panel,texture or aircraft CFGs it can take an age of squinting and scrolling to find the aircraft I want to work on,particularly as my aircraft folder gets bigger and bigger.One for your vast store of knowledge perhaps OPA :( Cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Have you experimented with the Search function of your OP ? I run XP and going to my Aircraft folder and selecting Search and "all file and folders" and entering an airline name such as American quickly brings up a listing of all files etc, which have the word American in them.Then I just highlight the one I am interested (Right click) in and select the "Open Containing folder" option. That takes me right to the folder where that file is located.There may be other ways to do it but that is one suggestion for you to try. :(

Have you experimented with the Search function of your OP ? I run XP and going to my Aircraft folder and selecting Search and "all file and folders" and entering an airline name such as American quickly brings up a listing of all files etc, which have the word American in them.Then I just highlight the one I am interested (Right click) in and select the "Open Containing folder" option. That takes me right to the folder where that file is located.There may be other ways to do it but that is one suggestion for you to try. :(
Hello DavidThat sounds like a good idea.Unfortunately my search function(little dog animation)hasn't worked for years.It just locks up with any attempt to use it.I don't know why that is but I may google and see if i can get some info.cheers Andy

Hello DavidThat sounds like a good idea.Unfortunately my search function(little dog animation)hasn't worked for years.It just locks up with any attempt to use it.I don't know why that is but I may google and see if i can get some info.cheers Andy
I have never used that doggy - turned it off the very first day. I use the Search tab at the top of the screen.I also usee Classic view and details - never have liked those darned icons. I am just a "hold over" from earlier days old Windows I guess.

I have never used that doggy - turned it off the very first day. I use the Search tab at the top of the screen.I also usee Classic view and details - never have liked those darned icons. I am just a "hold over" from earlier days old Windows I guess.
AH ha!I Have sent fido to his kennel and now the search is working and at first glance I think your method of locating individual files could be good one.Will fiddle tomorrow. cheers Andy

Oh DearMy search just locks up again.I don't understand the reason for this,but i believe others have had trouble with the XP search function as well.Pity really as the one time it worked (after i had removed woof)it appeared that it would be a useful method of locating individual aircraft.cheers Andy

Guest belga1

Hello,

My search just locks up again
Generally it's a signal of something corrupted in your OS.Regards.bye.gif

Hello,Generally it's a signal of something corrupted in your OS.Regards.bye.gif
Yes quite possibly.I f you check on the internet you will find quite a lot of people with the same problem.My search has not worked for as long as I can remember and all attempts at fixing it (including searching MS own site,checking various forums etc have failed to produce a solution.Until I wanted to try OPA's tip for aircraft searching I have never really needed 'The Dog' so I guess its back to wading through the aircraft folder.....Not really a big deal.cheers Andy

Hi,When you are in the aircraft folder in Windows Explorer, just press the key of the first letter in the file name. You can press it again to go to the next file, etc. If you name your aircraft folders logically, this could be a relatively quick way to find what you want.Hope this helps,

Hi,When you are in the aircraft folder in Windows Explorer, just press the key of the first letter in the file name. You can press it again to go to the next file, etc. If you name your aircraft folders logically, this could be a relatively quick way to find what you want.Hope this helps,
Hello TomNow that definitely works.Even though my aircraft folder is a bit of mess labelling wise that method will definitely be quicker than the wade.PS if I rename all my aircraft folders in a Spockian logical manner will that effect the FS9 AIRCRAFT selection page?cheers AndyAnother useful tip. :(

Hello TomNow that definitely works.Even though my aircraft folder is a bit of mess labelling wise that method will definitely be quicker than the wade.PS if I rename all my aircraft folders in a Spockian logical manner will that effect the FS9 AIRCRAFT selection page?cheers AndyAnother useful tip. :(
FS does not care how the base aircraft folders are named - what is displayed on your aircraft selection menu is derived from the following lines in each variation (paint): ui_manufacturer=ui_type=ui_variation=You could call the base folder "Kitchen Sink" (or something equally as outlandish) and FS would ignore the name.Hope that helps. :(

Or you can create a batch file that will create a text document listing every file/folder etc.Open up notepad and copy and paste this in:---------------begin copy-----------------------tree /a /f >Snapshot.txt---------------end copy-----------------------then save and change the file extenstion from txt to bat.Place this bat file in the aircraft folder and run it. It will create a text file call Snapshot.txt.Open it up and search using find.Works great for a listing all all you MP3'sRJ

As for searching---- While I have always found the little search doggy charming, with its optimistic eagerness to help and its playful pawing of the other side of my monitor screen, I have also found that it stops working on occasion, possibly due to gunk that clogs up our registries and possibly due to the fact that we use other applications, including some specifically designed for FS, that monopolize whatever part of Windows handles the search processing.However, there is a more powerful alternative to the standard search engine, and it seems to work even when the pup is unserviceable. It's called "Agent Ransack" and, like most of the good things in life and flightsim, it's free. It will locate files, and can also find specified strings of text within files. This makes it possible to find not only main aircraft and texture folders with a given name, but also, for instance, all the "aircraft.cfg" files that contain the name of a given airline, callsign, designer, etc. Agent Ransack can be downloaded at the following website (the download link for the free version is near the bottom of the page):http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/All the best,Bill

The main concern with renaming aircraft folders comes in to play if one aircraft's panel or sound is aliased to another.Example-aircraft A has a panel config that aliases aircraft B's panel. If you rename aircraft B's folder aircraft A will not find it unless you edit the panel.cfg file for aircraft A.It is not uncommon to find addon aircraft that use default panels and sounds so I would recommend not renaming any default aircraft folders.Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

The best program was something called Aircraft Container Manager, but that seems to have been withdrawn from circulation.Abacus has a product FSRepaint, the demo of which you can use for this purpose (to find location you have to look at the texture tab, which then shows you the texture folder for the variant).FSManager 2.8.5 is also a great tool, but you have to look for a patch for it to get it to run without backdating your system time.AI Traffic Mover has an aircraft editor tool which also is good for locating aircraft.You could probably do a library search on "hanger" and find some other candidates. scott s..