Sign in to follow this  
Guest 413X3

No updated Cloud9 airports?

Unfortunately, FSDreamteam is unlikely to do KLAX anytime soon. Cloud9 isn't officially gone (although they seem like it) and are a "partner" in sense who use the FSDreamteam add-on manager. As such, FSDreamteam has stated that they view them as a partner and have no plans to release "competing" scenery. I think there are actually a couple guys at FSDT from Cloud9, I thought both Virtualai and Alessandro were from there. I whole heartedly agree though that some of those aiports need a trip to FSX...particularly KLAX.

Eric Szczesniak

I think there are actually a couple guys at FSDT from Cloud9, I thought both Virtualai and Alessandro were from there.
Sorry no, it's just Alessandro, and he's not with Cloud9 since the end of 2006. I was never, ever, part of Cloud9, which is fully owned by Alberto Sangalli and nobody else. Some people mistakenly tought I was part of that company, because as part of the agreement we have with Cloud9 to use our software under license, I do technical support related to it on Cloud9 forum.About KLAX:For FS9 we are bounded by the agreement we have with Cloud9 of not releasing a competing product, and this will stand as long as Cloud9 is selling KLAX and is paying our license fees, which they are, even today, so that's seems pretty active to me. Users mistakenly confuse the lack of new product announcements, with the sale and support for existing ones. If anything, since Cloud9 has many successful FS9 products available, the otherwise bad market split that happened between FSX and FS9 has helped them survive much longer, even without new products, because many people are still buying FS9 stuff. Which is not something I'm particularly happy with, but it surely helped Cloud9, and probably many other FS9-centric developers to stay alive, even without releasing new stuff.So, for the same reason, we are not so confident, at this time, to release an FSX-only KLAX, which we *could* legally release, but might not be a very smart commercial idea. Also considering the large number of existing Cloud9 users for the FS9 version, that would need to repurchase it from scratch at full price because, being a separate company, we don't have any access to Cloud9 customers, so we don't have the means to offer anything, not even a discount, to previous users. The only way of doing it, would be in association with Cloud9 but, why we would do that, when we can release all-new airports, in dual FS9+FSX version, remade from scratch with the latest techniques, that we can independently publish ourselves ?regards,Umberto Colapicchioni - VIRTUALIhttp://www.fsdreamteam.com

Sorry no, it's just Alessandro, and he's not with Cloud9 since the end of 2006. I was never, ever, part of Cloud9, which is fully owned by Alberto Sangalli and nobody else. Some people mistakenly tought I was part of that company, because as part of the agreement we have with Cloud9 to use our software under license, I do technical support related to it on Cloud9 forum.About KLAX:For FS9 we are bounded by the agreement we have with Cloud9 of not releasing a competing product, and this will stand as long as Cloud9 is selling KLAX and is paying our license fees, which they are, even today, so that's seems pretty active to me. Users mistakenly confuse the lack of new product announcements, with the sale and support for existing ones. If anything, since Cloud9 has many successful FS9 products available, the otherwise bad market split that happened between FSX and FS9 has helped them survive much longer, even without new products, because many people are still buying FS9 stuff. Which is not something I'm particularly happy with, but it surely helped Cloud9, and probably many other FS9-centric developers to stay alive, even without releasing new stuff.So, for the same reason, we are not so confident, at this time, to release an FSX-only KLAX, which we *could* legally release, but might not be a very smart commercial idea. Also considering the large number of existing Cloud9 users for the FS9 version, that would need to repurchase it from scratch at full price because, being a separate company, we don't have any access to Cloud9 customers, so we don't have the means to offer anything, not even a discount, to previous users. The only way of doing it, would be in association with Cloud9 but, why we would do that, when we can release all-new airports, in dual FS9+FSX version, remade from scratch with the latest techniques, that we can independently publish ourselves ?regards,Umberto Colapicchioni - VIRTUALIhttp://www.fsdreamteam.com
Well, I can only speak for myself, you would have at least one customer. :( In addition these companies are free to do their own market research but companies like Aerosoft and PMDG are now releasing FSX only products. Captain Randazzo states on the PMDG forums "Market data shows a decreasing trend on FS2004- so we have decided for this new product line to focus only on FSX- as this allows us the greatest opportunity to explore new technologies". So hopefully if a leader like PMDG is moving this way other companies data will also persuade them to do like wise.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

companies like Aerosoft and PMDG are now releasing FSX only products. Captain Randazzo states on the PMDG forums "Market data shows a decreasing trend on FS2004- so we have decided for this new product line to focus only on FSX- as this allows us the greatest opportunity to explore new technologies". So hopefully if a leader like PMDG is moving this way other companies data will also persuade them to do like wise.
I entirely agree, with regards to products like airplanes, or other non-scenery utilities. I wouldn't even start considering releasing an airplane in dual FS9+FSX version, because FSX is so vastly superior (when programmed PROPERLY) to FS9, that all this kind of addons offered in a dual version, are basically crippled to FS9 standards. In this case, PMDG is correct saying that they need to abandon FS9, in order to move forward.The same is true for products which are not airplane or scenery: FSX just offers too many possibilities, and I assure you the surface hasn't even been scratched with what is on sale right now, beacuse of the burden of having to offer FS9 versions as well. In fact, we ARE developing a new FSX-only product of this kind, that we hope will put a further kick to FSX adoption.However, airport sceneries are a different beast: we have our own way of making them, which is to develop for FSX, and then port back to FS9, and found that we can convert to FS9 so quickly, like a few days of work, that it would be foolish not to release them for FS9 as well, considering we let upgrade to the FSX version for free, as long there's demand for it.And yes, it's true that FSX is constantly (but not as fast as we would like to) increasing its market share, and this probably has something to do with the fact that there will be no FSXI, at least not in the foreseeable future, so I guess many users that were waiting to skip FSX and jump from 9 to 11, have now reconsidered, in order not being stuck on 2003 technology for other 3-4 years...best regards,Umberto Colapicchioni - VIRTUALIhttp://www.fsdreamteam.com

Silverbird and css2005, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like I will be downloading KMCO this weekend.