Sign in to follow this  
Guest SIX

Will Microsoft

Guest kurtj

What will all of this mean to fs simmers and me? I fly both Posky's Gmax and FFGs older 757s and I would like to add those to Century of Flight. I also fly both older models and newer models in fs2002 and I am hoping that this will be true in the new version. This programming language I don't really understand so if anyone could post some replies on the subject that would be very nice. I don't know what to believe with this new messege on the avsim front page, and compared it with the msfs webpage.

This has really nothing to do with aircraft, panels, scenery, etc. It is strictly about the adventure programming language. Your A/C, etc., won't be affected as long as the authors who created them followed MS' SDK's.

Not one version of Flight Simulator has been a step back. I highly doubt a Century of flight will be a step back, but will be giant leap forward.

Hi Kurt, The title is confusing, it should be: fs2004 could be a step back for adventure, forget about all others features, it have nothing to do with the new fs2004 feature. I don't use adventure anyways and many don't use it. This open letter is only for the adventure feature.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest kurtj

Well I will sleep easy know that this is only adventure programming language because I create my own flights and usually don't use the adventures. Thank You. I look forward to the new fs.

Guest kurtj

Thanks Chris about the info. Also any word about how your wonderful fsskyworld package 2.4 is going? Looking forward to it.

Guest H_Kev55

While I appreciate Ralph's very well written article, it, as with most others, is speculative at best.Unless you work for MS or are in the beta test, you really don't know.But, I do agree that any part of the sim that becomes useless to great groups such as those that author adventures, is probably not the best decision that MS could have made. But, I believe the improvements in other areas will make FS9 a step forward for this hobby.Just think back a few years. When ATC and real weather seemed a thing of the future. We've had plenty of talented people build programs and furnish us with tons of freeware add-ons that we never thought were possible.I see no reason why some intelligent individual can't take the new adventure writing program and work their magic on it.What it all comes down to, IMHO, is that we're too quick to condemn FS9 before most of us have even seen it.Kevin JarvisV.P. OperationsProjectAI

APL referenced in the thread was a fairly robust programming language, and many add-ons for FS98 and FS2000 were created with it. My first utility for FS--my Autoland adventure, was written in APL. APL allowed for reading and writing of FS's many variables. You could set the autopilot with it, monitor the aircraft's position, etc....I think FSUIPC's introduction really changed the focus of these types of add-ons. I haven't used APL in ages. FSUIPC has replaced almost all of APL's functionality with its SDK. I can create a standalone program which runs in the background all the time, such as Autoland 2002, using simple VB code. Or one can create a program with altitude callouts--kind of an "assistant" copilot. One can code a robust ATC program, etc....If anything, the retiring of APL should encourage Microsoft to support--even compensate, Pete Dowson for his work with FSUIPC. Its interface into FS is far better than APL's was, IMHO. If MS remains tight lipped about how to interface with FS2004, only then would I consider it a step back. It would mean a change in philosophy on MS's part--a moving away from an open sim. I doubt that will happen, so I feel the demise of APL isn't much to worry about as long as folks like Pete can do their thing.-John

Guest Toni Rauch

Some people in this thread have indicated that some of Ralph's points are too technical - so here's an easy solution...Head over to Ralph's site (www.realatc.com) and take a look at 'Three Real Flights'. You'll soon understand what he's talking about.YOU CAN'T GET MORE AUTHENTIC THAN REALITY......(Great article Ralph!)Toni.

I have to agree that this worries me little if not at all. Many more of the hard core simmers don't fly off-line but on Avsim. How one says that an "adventure" can be more real than this is beyond me.[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG @ 215/545|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Guest SIX

I read every post so far and I must beg the question "How many of you read the article (http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=118&topic_id=486&mesg_id=486&page=)I think a few didn't.I have been a simmer for about two years and all of a sudden and I have racked up over 4500+ flight hours. Over 1000 hours on VATSIM alone. That includes anything from General Aviation, training to serious flying.For some stupid reason, I didn't ever pay any attention to Adventures until I bought the justplanes.com United 928 DVD. Then I wanted to recreate the flights and I found the "adventure" of flight 928 on the web, some freak'n where, I can't rememeber. Now I want Adventures :)Here is the deal folks, FS2k4 will be purchased by me, but I just don't believe that all of the couple thousand US Dollars of scenery and birds I have are going to work on COF. Everybody says they will...eventually. So, I am going to be running a dual install so I can still fly my PSS birds, my Wilco bird and scenery and my Simflyers and UK2000 scenery and all sorts of other great add-ons I have. I will also keep FS2k2 going for the sake of Adventures :)It is a shame I have to have two installs of the same game. But, I know that will be the case for some time on COF.-----------Wilson HinesChief CaptainBush Logistics Corp.http://heavylhc.comAOL IM: dal276wh

Guest SIX

I think the one reason the APL langauge might be in the process of being shelved, in one fashion or another, and thereby doing away with "Adventures," is simply because not many people can find much information on them. Do a Google.com Search on "Flight sim adventures" or other combination searches if you please.There just isn't that much out there in a "concerted" effort. There aren't any strong websites either dedicated or semidedicated to suppporting the person looking adventures or wanting to learn to develop adventures. Sure there is Perfect Flight, but look at all what you must buy to get an adventure. You must buy their birds, their external program and lots of other stuff just to fly the adventures. What if I like my PSS or Wilco bird and simply want to fly that? Yes, I know there is RealATC.com, however I am talking about a "fansite" for Adventure related information. The community needs a concerted "fan site" for the adventure loving community. I haven't seen one presented to me at SimFlight.com or Avsim.com in two years of simming or I think I would have prolly gone there :) -----------Wilson HinesChief CaptainBush Logistics Corp.http://heavylhc.comAOL IM: dal276wh

Guest Milamber

A COUPLE of THOUSAND DOLLARS spent on addons??? Either you are exagerating a bit or you are into this WAY more than me (or the average Joe for that matter)! I can't even comprehend what you bought that has added up to that much money. Hardware...Yes, I have seen several systems that would cost you that by themselves but scenery and aircraft??? Your joking right?

Guest SIX

LOL, yeah I am joking a bit, but to be frank with you I have prolly a good 800 to 900 in software including FS2k2 pro. Think about it, most of these guys want $30 and up for the average sim software add-on. It really doesn't take long. -----------Wilson HinesChief CaptainBush Logistics Corp.http://heavylhc.comAOL IM: dal276wh

Guest Milamber

hehe Thought you might be exagerating a bit there. But even so you still have spent more than most people have. I know I don't even come close to 800 dollars for ALL my games much less for addons to ONE game. Of course I guess you might be including addons you previously had for earlier releases of FS but still...Wow...That is a lot of money to spend on FS addons...Hope they were worth it :)