Sign in to follow this  
camaflight

How can I make chatter files from streaming ?

Hi,If you think like I do it put some extra kind of reality to the sim hearing som country related chatter when flyingthrough different countries with different languages or dialects.I have collected chatter files from various sites and sources in order to fill up the winwood country-chatter-folders.I you have done this yourself you will of course have experienced how time consuming this often will be. Just to find these files is time consuming, but often there will be a load of work also to devde them into app, atc1, atc2 and so on.I want to make such chatter files myself by recording live chatter through streaming on internet.There is as an example a site where you can listen to streams http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=international-euNow, by installing an evaluation version of a program called HiDownload I did manage once to download some chatter from above link.However, I must admit that I don't really understand the whole concept of streaming and how to download.Could someone enlighten me a little so I know what I should do to process chatter files for RC from those streaming sources ?I will of course share the final results with you all.CheersCarl

Hi Carl,It's been years since I needed to record something that was streaming so I'm a little sketchy on the details. It can be done though, so I'm sure someone will chime in and provide the correct cables and hookup details.But let me assure you, converting streaming ATC into induvidual files isn't an easy task by any means. After recording say 2 hours of streaming, you're left with one big wav file. Then you got to open it up in software that can display the file in waveform so that you know where induvidual converssations begin and end. You got to snip them out and save them as seperate files. It's very time consuming - infact it is the same as having a scanner and recording the ATC that is in your area.Just make sure you have a lot of time before starting the task :o)Subs

Hi,If you think like I do it put some extra kind of reality to the sim hearing som country related chatter when flyingthrough different countries with different languages or dialects.I have collected chatter files from various sites and sources in order to fill up the winwood country-chatter-folders.I you have done this yourself you will of course have experienced how time consuming this often will be. Just to find these files is time consuming, but often there will be a load of work also to devde them into app, atc1, atc2 and so on.I want to make such chatter files myself by recording live chatter through streaming on internet.There is as an example a site where you can listen to streams http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=international-euNow, by installing an evaluation version of a program called HiDownload I did manage once to download some chatter from above link.However, I must admit that I don't really understand the whole concept of streaming and how to download.Could someone enlighten me a little so I know what I should do to process chatter files for RC from those streaming sources ?I will of course share the final results with you all.CheersCarl
i'm sure it is technically feasible, and as subs says, time consuming to parse the one big wav. then you have to name them correctly, put them in the right \winwood directory.the issue i would be concernes about, is copyright infrigement. if you were to gather the wav file from a scanner, to a recording device, i think you're ok, because you pulled it out of the air. as soon as you use a web site that is streaming the sound, they probably will feel they own the content they are streaming. you might want to contact them, to see if what you want to do, is ok in their mind.also, in some countries, recording atc, clearance, ground, tower, etc - is illegal. so be cognizant of that as well.jd

OK, thanks.I get the picture. This means that besides being time consuming I will have to make sure I can use the files to the benefit for all of us. Else I end up with chatter only for my own use I guess.I will place this issue in the forum belonging to one of those sites. They might have a cook book for this as well.Carl

Hi Carl,I've recorded live ATC streams by connecting to the link you've provided or others such as US Feeds, Non-US Feeds or HF Feeds. I have RealPlayer on my computer and found that clicking on the RealPlayer option (others are WinAmps, iTunes or Windows Media Player), this player allows the user to easily record the transmissions by pushing on the 'red' button - the record button - and pressing it again to stop the recording of the transmission. Once stopped, an MP3 file will be created and filed in a folder entitled Real Player Downloads. This file then needs to be converted to a WAV file. I use Switch Sound File Converter Plus or Nero to convert the MP3 file to a WAV file (there are other utilities to do this and some are even freeware). I then use Wave Pad Sound Editor to manipute the file, for example split large files into several smaller files, delete long silence periods, etc. When finished, I use the WAV files with FS Chatter which is an excellent program to replicate 'live' ATC in MSFS.However, I'm eager to learn more about how to use these files with RC4. So, I'll be doing a bit of reading on it in RC4's User Manual.Regards, Jean-Jacques

Hi Carl, and JJ,If you guys are still wanting to go ahead with it, Bob Johnson from the RC beta team has written an excellent guide on the structure of RC's chatter files, names, folders, and everything else you'll need to know. That's on page 136 of the RC manual.Since you are looking at a public release that will benefit all FS users, I didn't want to discourage you in anyway. But as jd said, just check out the copyright issues if you wish, (and have a few hours handy!).Good luck, and let us know how you go :o) My only advice is, while snipping out induvidual conversations out of the big file, make sure you snip the conversations out in order and save them in the same order they appear in the big wav file. I believe RC's chatter routine calls for the wav files in their numbered order (wav1, wav2, wav3, etc). If you randomise the order when snipping them out of the big file, you might end up with TWR instructing an aircraft to contact GND (after landing), and then a minute later, telling the same aircraft that it is cleared to land. It just sounds weird when you hear ATC in the wrong order.You're lucky I'm here to tell you all this - in one of the earliest versions of RC I found out the hard way, and had to redo the whole thing again...in order ;o)Subs

Jean-Jacques, thank you.I didn't find the red record button, but I will have a better look at it this evening (UTC+1).Your suggestion seems to be quite good.I allready have Ease Audio Converter so the converting task will be a piece of cake.I have made my own callsign by mixing sounds from the winwood folders with Windows Movie Maker. That just worked great and I have got a really good grasp of it ( at least high effectiveness...).Now I will ask at one or more streaming fora about the copyright issue.Cheers,Carl