Sign in to follow this  
chavins

missing spray effect with float planes

i have recently lost the spray effect when taxiing float planes. the effect was previously present. i have not added any relevant scenery or effects prior to the disappearance. the sim appears to be working in all other respects. i have been using water effects low 2x for some time. my set up is fsx and runs in win xp with sp2 installed. the spray effects were present for many months following the sp2 installation. i am not sure which effect file(s) are relevant here but the file fx_spray.fx is present.helicopter backwash over water is also working.can anyone help me with an explanation and a fix?thanks.steve chavin

Guest jshyluk
i have recently lost the spray effect when taxiing float planes. the effect was previously present. i have not added any relevant scenery or effects prior to the disappearance. the sim appears to be working in all other respects. i have been using water effects low 2x for some time. my set up is fsx and runs in win xp with sp2 installed. the spray effects were present for many months following the sp2 installation. i am not sure which effect file(s) are relevant here but the file fx_spray.fx is present.helicopter backwash over water is also working.can anyone help me with an explanation and a fix?thanks.steve chavin
Is Advanced Animation on in your graphics menu? Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest napamule

The effect for the specific aircraft is due to the effect being in effects section of cfg. If you don't have that section, of if author of aircraft changed the FX_ file, and you don't have that FX file installed in effects folder, you will not get spray effects FOR THAT AIRCRAFT. Check for a stray 'effects' folder under main Aircraft folder (among aircraft folders) where installer might have placed it (in error). Then just copy those effects to effect folder and try that aircraft again. Then option to move stray folder to where it belongs, or to just delete it is your call. Also, there could be a typo in cfg. Copy / Paste a working (effects) section from a known working aircraft to non-working aircraft cfg, and save. Chuck BNapamule

Is Advanced Animation on in your graphics menu? Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
jeff:thanks for the reply. 'advanced animation' is checked on graphics menu.

The effect for the specific aircraft is due to the effect being in effects section of cfg. If you don't have that section, of if author of aircraft changed the FX_ file, and you don't have that FX file installed in effects folder, you will not get spray effects FOR THAT AIRCRAFT. Check for a stray 'effects' folder under main Aircraft folder (among aircraft folders) where installer might have placed it (in error). Then just copy those effects to effect folder and try that aircraft again. Then option to move stray folder to where it belongs, or to just delete it is your call. Also, there could be a typo in cfg. Copy / Paste a working (effects) section from a known working aircraft to non-working aircraft cfg, and save. Chuck BNapamule
chuck:thanks for the suggestion. i forgot that the aircraft.cfgs have an effects section. unfortunately, i have not found any aircraft (including 2 of the microsoft default planes) which show the spray effect. i did check several of the float planes and they all have the same effects section with an entry for the water_spray effect (as well as several other effects entries).steve chavin

chuck:thanks for the suggestion. i forgot that the aircraft.cfgs have an effects section. unfortunately, i have not found any aircraft (including 2 of the microsoft default planes) which show the spray effect. i did check several of the float planes and they all have the same effects section with an entry for the water_spray effect (as well as several other effects entries).steve chavin
hello all. no more thoughts or suggestions for my problem? does anyone know which effect file or files are responsible for the water spray effect, and how to retrieve a replacement for the original file from the installation discs? this the only simple fix i can think of.steve chavin

Guest napamule

Steve,Well, I thought I made it clear what you need to do, but I gues snot. You don't which aircraft you are having the problem with. Is it payware? Default? Would help to know so we can compare cfg files for Effects section (below).(EFFECTS) //change '( )' to bracketswake=fx_wakewater=fx_bobspray0dirt=fx_tchdrtconcrete=fx_sparkstouchdown=fx_tchdwn_s, 1This is what the Lake Renegade has, and works, and what you should copy and paste into aircraft cfg. If already there, just compare file name. If already there you can copy this section, hightlight section in cfg, and right click then choose paste and it will overwrite. Then be sure to save, reload aircraft to see changes.Chuck BNapamule

Steve,Well, I thought I made it clear what you need to do, but I gues snot. You don't which aircraft you are having the problem with. Is it payware? Default? Would help to know so we can compare cfg files for Effects section (below).(EFFECTS) //change '( )' to bracketswake=fx_wakewater=fx_bobspray0dirt=fx_tchdrtconcrete=fx_sparkstouchdown=fx_tchdwn_s, 1This is what the Lake Renegade has, and works, and what you should copy and paste into aircraft cfg. If already there, just compare file name. If already there you can copy this section, hightlight section in cfg, and right click then choose paste and it will overwrite. Then be sure to save, reload aircraft to see changes.Chuck BNapamule
chuck:thanks for the clarification. i thought i did say that spay effect is missing from the default float planes as well as from several free ware aircraft, all of which previously showed the effect. i am including copies of 2 effects entries in the aircraft cfg, one for microsoft default plane and another for a premier air design plane. all of the float planes have similar entries. none of them show the entry on your plane, fx_bobspray0. i have checked and there are files for each of the fx files , but i cannot tell whether they are corrupted or otherwise not functioning.[EFFECTS] - microsoft defaultwake=fx_wakewater=fx_spraydirt=fx_tchdrtconcrete=fx_sparkstouchdown=fx_tchdwn_s, 1----------------------------------[effects] PAD dhc3 wardair wake = fx_wake_sswater = fx_spraywaterspeed = fx_wtrspray_sdirt = fx_tchdrtconcrete = fx_sparkstouchdown = fx_tchdwn_s, 1can you provide me with working a copy of each of the necessary files, so that i can test them on my setup?any other suggestions will be most welcome.steve chavin

Guest napamule

The effects line: water=fx_bobspray0 is by Bob Chicilo file for update for the Renegade. You can change it to 'water=fx_spray'. These fx files are hardly subject to corruption, but if you hand type, are subject to typos (I don't see any). The problem is that you have to have them in the FSX effects folder in order for FSX to use them (dah). You should try the other spray files (as a test) and see what happens. If 'nothing' then it could be your settings ie: advanced animations, or set water to high 2X (works better than any other setting IMHO). I'm out of ideas, and can't figure it out-sorry.Chuck BNapamule