Sign in to follow this  
strider

RTFM? How about one PDF instead of many?

A suggestion...combine all the .PDF's into one PDF...so it can be searched. As it is now I have to search 10 different files (.pdf) to find the answer to my questions. All PMDG manuals should be a single PDF, for each aircraft...or don't even bother to tell me to RTFM! The way it is now makes a search of the various .pdf's a pain in the butt. Make the aircraft manuals one file for each aircraft, and save our sorry butts from all the pain of trying to "search" them. Victor (still searching through 11 pdf's) Buck

A suggestion...combine all the .PDF's into one PDF...so it can be searched. As it is now I have to search 10 different files (.pdf) to find the answer to my questions. All PMDG manuals should be a single PDF, for each aircraft...or don't even bother to tell me to RTFM! The way it is now makes a search of the various .pdf's a pain in the butt. Make the aircraft manuals one file for each aircraft, and save our sorry butts from all the pain of trying to "search" them. Victor (still searching through 11 pdf's) Buck
There are pluses and minuses. Huge PDFs can be slow. Unlikely, but if you have a Mac, you can search within multiple files with Spotlight. Probably a somewhat useless suggestion for most, but just in case. Still, I can think of much worse tasks than having to search 12 PDFs!CheersRudy

well if all those pdfs are in 1 folder you can use Ctrl+F and select search in "All PDF Documents In.." option

There are pluses and minuses. Huge PDFs can be slow. Unlikely, but if you have a Mac, you can search within multiple files with Spotlight. Probably a somewhat useless suggestion for most, but just in case. Still, I can think of much worse tasks than having to search 12 PDFs!CheersRudy
Pulling the lead out of you where you were shot? Taking that last, screaming breath before you hit the ground with your unopened parachute? I can think of "much worse tasks" myself...but what does that have to do with it, Rudy? Comparing it to the worst possible situation doesn't really help...does it? Victor Buck
well if all those pdfs are in 1 folder you can use Ctrl+F and select search in "All PDF Documents In.." option
Ah...a useful suggestion. I was unaware of this Adobe Reader ability. Thanks Tcas! Victor Buck

Victor-You seem pretty angry and inflamed over this topic- so apparently it is quite important to you.We have broken our aircraft manuals into chapters for more than twelve years, because this format makes them far easier to work with for most users.With the MD-11, we have taken a different route, and each manual is it's own unique PDF. Not surprisingly, we have received requests from a wide range of users to break those single PDFs down into individual chapters.So- in the net of it- what might work well for you will not work well for someone else.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

As it is now I have to search 10 different files (.pdf) to find the answer to my questions. (still searching through 11 pdf's)
10, 11? I only have 7 pdf's with the MD-11. And from those 3 to 4 will never be searched (or even used) by me because they are no real manuals or duplicates of what's already in the others (for instance the checklists and QRH are simply extracts from the others and the introduction needs to be read just once). Which leaves the FCOM, FMS and SYST manuals. And the tutorial, although of course all info there can also be found in the other three manuals. Knowing when you need to search the FMS is simple, so that only leaves two manuals where you have to guess. And even with those two you can make an educated guess where the needed information should be... :(

Guest keiron

LOL Mr angry.If you want one PDF then you can compile them together to make one big one easily. You will need the full version of Adobe PDF though. I did it myself, works fine.

My apologies to all. There was no call for the attitude I exhibited...and I'll make no excuses for it, either. Again, none of you deserved this and I hope you accept my heartfelt apologies. Victor Buck

I prefer seperate PDFs. I usually know where things will be if I need to search, and seperate PDFs make more sense for straight reading. Plus, I usually try to print them out and keep them like seperate books. That would be harder with one huge PDF.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I never knew about putting them all in one folder and going CTRL-F. Cheers.Rudy