Sign in to follow this  
strider

Step climb?

After spending much time with the 747 and MD-11 manuals...I still have no idea how to plan a flight with step climbs. How does one decide that "at point Z , I can climb to FLXXX"? Once a person has figured that out...how do you use it in the various FMC's? Yes, I did RTFM...no...it did not help me...this is why I am asking here. Victor (wishing for more step-by-step "how to" information) Buck

For the MD-11, just enter more than one flight level on the init page of the FMC (eg. 320/340/360). It will then add the T/C points along your route automatically. Dave S
I'm beginning to love this MD-11 more and more. You ARE saying that it will add the TC points based on the aircraft being able to attain them, and that it is "economical" based on my F-PLAN INIT? Victor Buck

The FMC in both the MD11 and the 744 should automatically calculate when the best time to perform a step climb will be. There is no math involved on your part. You don't need to enter any higher altitudes in the legs page as they are automatically calculated. On the Performance Initialization page of the FMC take a look at 5R LSK or the LSK next to "Step Climb". When left at ICAO, the FMC calculates 2000FT step climbs below FL290 and 4000FT S/C's above FL290. You can change this value to RVSM values (IE 2000FT, 4000FT, 6000FT up to 10000FT I think). You could also enter "0" in the scratchpad and press 5R LSK to put 0 in the S/C profile so all VNAV calculations are based on a constant cruise altitude.Progress Page 1 on the FMC will give you an ETA to a S/C once the TOC is reached and you burned off enough fuel. Going to the VNAV climb page (page 2) of the FMC will tell you your optimal altitude and the altitude to step to, etc.

Also, the MD11 (unlike the 744) will automatically do the step climb as long as the FCP ALT is adjusted to the next higher step or higher. Of course, you still need clearance from Shannon or whatever ATC region you are in if using them.

Dan Downs KCRP

I haven't tried a step climb in the MD-11...but I cannot change the "ICAO" to "RVSM" in the 747 FMC? Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong but when I try to enter "RVSM", the FMC generates an error message..."Invalid Entry"?*EDIT* found it...you don't enter "RVSM" but, rather, a feet value...as in "2000" for RVSM at all altitudes. Victor Buck

Edited by strider