Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tardek

747X Queen of the Skies Problem

Guest Tardek

Hi all, I'm relativly new to the PMDG system and i like it so far.. I installed it last night thrilled to actually try the cold and dark setups. To my dismay when i tried it i have encountered alot of problems.I follow the checklist to the tee;Battery 'ON'Standby Power 'AUTO'INBD CRT 'EICAS'APU Power 'ON'The problem i am having is the eicas and PFD's on 2 out of 10 attempts light up, then go dark about 30 seconds later. The other 8 times the PFD's and EICAS do not display at all. I can completly power up and fly, but literally am flying blind. No Instrumentation at all. I was wondering if anyone else has or had this problem. I am running FSX 2.1 on Windows Vista. Thanks, Matt

Matt, dark displays are usually a problem with authenication. What about starting up in default (engines running and everything on), do the displays work okay there and only when trying to start from cold and dark?It takes a little time for the APU to be ready, and then you must switch the APU gens on. I mention this because you didn't. What about on ground power?

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Tardek
Matt, dark displays are usually a problem with authenication. What about starting up in default (engines running and everything on), do the displays work okay there and only when trying to start from cold and dark?It takes a little time for the APU to be ready, and then you must switch the APU gens on. I mention this because you didn't. What about on ground power?
Thanks for the response Dan, I can completly Power up either Via APU or GPU and i still get no displays. When i start a flight and i'm already powered up i can fly for about 30 mins before the displays die on me again. It seems like a weird issue. When i light using the APU i ensure both APU 1 and APU 2 is ON and if i have GPU i ensure EXT 1 is on and EXT 2 is on if applicable. Thanks again, Matt

It is weird. The authenication blackout happens pretty quick, quicker than 30 min. of flight. Anything else black, especially the CDU? If the keyboard and display are blacked out then this is an important clue, sometimes means something is wrong with the microsoft runtime libary that is installed after the simulation by the pmdg installer. You could try to repair the installation, but unless you are lucky and that makes a difference I think you oughta drop an email to pmdg support. Be sure to get an automated response to ensure you got to them.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Tardek

Thanks again for your response dan, I think i managed to resolve it. I completly reinstalled it and DIDN'T update to the 2.1 patch. When i did that it works fine, the only issue i'm having now is that some of the sounds (GPWS, Battery, Cooling, Warnings etc) are not working. I emailed PMDG support but the issue i was having was it was given to me by a family friend who is in the services and they are currently out of contact. They needed more info then i could provide them to try and deal with the issue on hand. Hopefully when they come back i can clear this up completly. Thanks again for your assistance dan, and any thoughts on the sound issue would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Matt

All the pmdg sounds are "throttled" by the pmdg sound setting in the options menu. I assume you have tried adjusting that up.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Tardek

in the PMDG options menu i have all of the checkboxes checked for the aural warning, gpws and so forth. When i had tried previously using the 2.1 patch i seen a different menu in my 'addons' that said PMDG sound. I do not see that menu in my 'addons' now that i am not using that patch. Matt

Under the FSX menu for add-ons there should be a separate PMDG Sounds... option. That opens a volume control... you got this? It is a separate selection from the drop down.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Tardek
Under the FSX menu for add-ons there should be a separate PMDG Sounds... option. That opens a volume control... you got this? It is a separate selection from the drop down.
Sorry for the delay in responding, I work as a HUMS tech for a helicopter company here locally and we had lost a S-92 last week. So it's been a busy one. When i go to my 'Add-on's menu all i see is one sub menu (PMDG) no seperate menu seeing sounds, although when i did have the 2.1 version i did see the 'Sounds' menu. Under the PMDG menu i have all the usuals (Fuel, Options, Load and save panel state, About, and Failures)Thanks again for your time, Matt