Sign in to follow this  
bojote

bufferpools=0

Out of frustration will spikes coming from the scenery and not finding a way to solve this I started changing, testing and experimenting.yes, I know it sounds crazy and completely contrary to general wisdom, but bufferpools=0 seems to have eliminated this spikes completely and smooth things out in my setup(windows XP, 32 bit, 2GB Mem FX-60 CPU w/3850 ATI Card)If you have 'spikes' coming from autogen and know a sure way to replicate the problem try experimenting with bufferpools=0 take a fast jet and so some low level turns to experiment. Maybe this bufferpools=0 makes SP2 like SP1 but without the OOMs?

I bet '0' will reset the bufferpools value back to default. Spikes and stutters might be introduced when bufferpools is set too high...

I bet '0' will reset the bufferpools value back to default. Spikes and stutters might be introduced when bufferpools is set too high...
However, *NOT* having bufferpools in the fsx.cfg still gives me the scenery spikes, so, setting it to 0 does not equal 'default' values as you suggest. I guess that some things work for some, in my case the bufferpools=0 seems to have a positive effect in my setup.. just wanted to share this with people having the scenery spikes problems, as in my case it was severe.

Well, i am not 100% sure if it resets to default or if you can let it use a lower value (eventually the pre SP1 value) with your zero entry. But i really doubt that it IS actually zero.PT could shed some light if he drops by :( .

Out of frustration will spikes coming from the scenery and not finding a way to solve this I started changing, testing and experimenting.yes, I know it sounds crazy and completely contrary to general wisdom, but bufferpools=0 seems to have eliminated this spikes completely and smooth things out in my setup(windows XP, 32 bit, 2GB Mem FX-60 CPU w/3850 ATI Card)If you have 'spikes' coming from autogen and know a sure way to replicate the problem try experimenting with bufferpools=0 take a fast jet and so some low level turns to experiment. Maybe this bufferpools=0 makes SP2 like SP1 but without the OOMs?
You mean this, right? [bufferPools]PoolSize=0

You mean this, right? [bufferPools]PoolSize=0
Correct. And, yes, I assume the 'default' is around 3M (3.000.000) I tried lowering that value, 300.000, 100.000 and it took longer to get the scenery spikes, but still had them (after >30 min). setting the poolsize to 0, I guess, bypases the use of the GPU memory, what effect it can have long term? I really don't know. But, as I said, it has completely eliminated the annoying spike textures coming off the autogen.It would be nice to have someone from the FSX team explain the downside of having this set to 0, because so far I have found none.. performance wise It would be hard to say there is an 'improvement' but flying low, fast and doing hard turns does not seem to affect the smooth experience I have. (and my machine is mid-low end)So, this is not some kind of 'magic' tweak, all I'm saying is that it seems to eliminate the spikes, and it would be nice if someone can test if there is any 'negative' effect when setting it to 0.

Just a friendly reminder of what the ACES team has already written:BUFFERPOOLSThe pedestrian sounding BUFFERPOOLS is a section of its own in the fsx.cfg file. There is a setting in there called Poolsize, as in[bUFFERPOOLS]Poolsize=nWhere n is the amount of bytes we will allocate for one pool of vertex and index buffers to store geometry.Again from Raf (Rafael Cintron, part of the FS Graphics and Terrain team):

My French is almost non existent, but i think i can understand what he says here :

Avec ma carte video

My French is almost non existent, but i think i can understand what he says here :However, the best will be i try it myself...
Well.. it might very well mean something 'other than' ZERO, for 'unlimited' frames the value is 0, so I don't know if a value of zero in PoolSize could mean 'unlimted' or 'dynamic' and not a fixed allocated ammount. So far it has been worked very good, but it requires further testing to see if there are any downsides to using it.

Guest Nick_N
Well.. it might very well mean something 'other than' ZERO, for 'unlimited' frames the value is 0, so I don't know if a value of zero in PoolSize could mean 'unlimted' or 'dynamic' and not a fixed allocated ammount. So far it has been worked very good, but it requires further testing to see if there are any downsides to using it.
zero means zeroit means you are not allocating any video memory to buffering geometry around the aircraftsetting it to zero and seeing a better result would indicate you are pushing the sim too hard for you hardware and that small amount of VM is helping you over the humpI never seen a correctly set up system remove the bufferpool entry and get better results and as a matter of fact I run 70-100MB to smooth out flight over large amounts of AG trees. If I ran with no BP in the config or set to zero my systems would stutter badly.What ever the reason for the change, if it works for how you have things set then use it.. thats all that matters. But be aware, if at some time your typical scenery changes and you start seeing stutters it could be caused by the lack of the default BP amount in the configSomething else that BP effects is latency on the PCIe buss. It was discovered some time ago that the higher the BP setting the lower the latency in requests to PCIe calls. Those on 768 - 1GB video cards which run the higher bufferpools settings see better results and solutions to sound crackle problems related to high autogen settings because of that as well as geometry buffering

Do you think zero is possible ? There might be a... protection for vital settings. Like i said, i am not sure about this. Maybe i can find out.Btw, i was at it yesterday and can confirm that my 280 GTX is a happy camper with BP 200,000,000. I was never lucky with this tweak and the 8800 GTX (for whatever reason). The TBM i have to keep at 40 though for a very smooth ride.