Sign in to follow this  
gosta

My PIV System performes worse than my old 500mhz did!!

OK... I'm not the most computer literate when it comes to the guts ;-) I'vebeen experiencing very crappy, slow graphic performance as of late, to thepoint now where I see very definate hard line of in the distance not to far.It goes from average graphics to just solid green blur (if over land). NowI had this baby humming before with crisp graphics as far as the eye couldsee, even on shore lines. Suppose my system specs might be of assistance(PIV 2.4 G, 80 HD, 768 Megs DDR PC2700 Ram, Ti4600 Vid Card, XP Home).I mean, come on, I had a 500 mhz system with 32 meg video card before thiscurrent system and the damn thing performed better than my current one does. Last night, I got desperate and reformatted my HD... Nothing! Still thesame, if not worse, LOL. I constantly defrag my HD, run Adaware to get ridof the spyware, run end-it-all to stop all the background processes, etc...etc... etc...This all just happened at the snap of a finger a month or so ago and I thoughtit could be a problem related to something I had installed recently, so Iunistalled several new aircraft and other software i had installed, stillnothing.Do you think it's my processor crapping out? I mean, if I look straightdown while flying I can see the nice crisp graphics I once enjoyed all theway to the horizon, so the card still seems to be fine ( oh and I tried anothervideo card to see if that was the culprit, but nothing changed).This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to shelve FS2002 until somemagic system hits the shelves ;-) I mean, come on, my computer is 7 monthsold only and it already can't run FS2002!Ahhh! Oh well, I'll just keep my DC Domicile updated for now, but don't knowhow much you all will see me flying till I can get this fixed.Thank you for any help you can offer!

Dude! That's a serious problem you've got there. From the specs you gave for your new system, I'd say it would be an absolute screamer and should have no problems whatsoever running FS2002 smoothly and beautifully. I'm not an expert on hardware, but I can tell you that it probably isn't your CPU crapping out on you... you'd know it if it was and it wouldn't manifest as a slowdown, it would just crash. So if your equipment is up to spec, then I'd say you've got a bad combination of hardware/drivers that is putting the hurt on your system. I'm an AMD man myself, so I can't speak directly to Pentium problems, but you might try a few things first. Look through your BIOS when you boot the system... is it reporting the CPU running at the correct speed? If your motherboard requires jumpers to set the CPU type and speed, they could have been set incorrectly. Also, is your video card running in AGP mode? I had a problem with my AGP miniport drivers on a previous system that caused my video to run in PCI mode and that really slowed things down. You didn't mention your sound card, but I know that some people have reported a lot of problems with soundblaster live cards causing conflicts. You mention you had it running good once... one of the first things I'd do is to think back and try and figure out at what point the system started running poorly. Usually a performance degradation that severe is caused either by new drivers not working properly (video, sound, etc.), a new version of DirectX being installed or a problem developing with some hardware component of your system.You might want to download a benchmarking tool such as 3DMark and run some tests. Also have you run any other sims or games? It might be useful to try some other 3D software so you get a sense of what is consistantly wrong. Sorry not to be more helpful, but it's hard to diagnose someone else's system problems without a lot of information. Maybe someone else here with a setup more like yours could offer another insight.good luck!

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Hey Thanks Bill! Humm.. Yeah I run other games and I do have a Sounblaster card... Should I try removing that and unistall the driver? yeah, what the heck I think I will... I've been running that sound card since January and can only remember my graphics slowing down to a snails pace recently though. Of course I've tried several drivers for my video card... Geezz... who knows LOL ;-)Thanks for the tip!

There is a directX control panel applet floating around on the net. It allows tweaking of certain parameters related to DirectX. One parameter was related to a sound debug mode. I don't know if the parameter is enabled in later versions (9.x and higher) of DirectX, but you might want to try to find the applet and check to see if the debug option is enabled. Mine was, and turning it off improved performance a great deal--and I also have a SB Live.You mentioned a reformat. One thing to make sure of when troubleshooting this way, is that your reinstall of FS2002 is just a generic reinstall. Do the generic reinstall, but don't add on anything. Then test. Also, when FS2002 first installs, it scales the default performance options based on your system. I find it a bit too optimistic in the scaling, as it seems to look at raw fps vs. graphics quality. IOTW, if 2k2 "thinks" your system can handle everything maxed, that's what it will do. So more settings may have been enabled in the process of upgrading the CPU....Last, when looking at texture quality--do your textures gradually blur into a mess, or is the overall quality poor from the start? If the answer is the latter, and you've updated video drivers, you might simply need to readjust your LOD settings, etc.... In more than one instance, my LOD settings have been lost during a driver upgrade.-John

>It goes from average graphics to just solid green blur (if over land).

Poor from the start ;-) And i always play around with the LOD settings as well as AA and Anistropic filtering.Thanks for the tip on the Dxdiag applet, i'll look for it.

Thanks, I have extended terrain textures enabled. And I believe it's slow system wide... not just FS2002. Funny you mention FPS as those seem to always be good even when the graphics are not. At meigs in default cessna, I easily get 25 FPS.I tried deleting the FS2002.cfg file when this all began with no luck and I've also tried all sorts of Config tweaks as you show above and they used to work beautifully! I got all my friends to do it as well and they were amazed at the improvement in graphics, so was I until now ;-)As far as tweaking the LOD, i've used everything from 0 down to -.5 At one time, I found -.3 to be just beatuiful on my system with 4xS Antializing on with 2X Anistropic filtering. I then bumpted the Anistropic up to 4x and was also happy. Now it seems like these settings are doing nothing as i see the shimmering all over the place no matter what i do.Thanks Mike as you can see, I am a tweak freak ;-) and I used to make some damn beautiful Screen Shots ;-) I'll see if I have any shots left to show a comparison, not sure though since I reformatted ;-)Thanks for your help.

Is there any way you can post a small screenshot to show the issue? If it happens over time, perhaps a few shots would help. Sometimes, just seeing the problem can set off a few ideas for us folks...-John

yeah sure will... I'll try to do that tonight when I get home from work.Thanks!

>Now it seems like these settings are doing nothing as i see the shimmering all over the place no matter what i do.

Hi there,>>And I believe it's slow system wide... not just FS2002. Funny you mention FPS as those seem to always be good even when the graphics are not. At meigs in default cessna, I easily get 25 FPS.<http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Speaking of the Direct X spinning cube...Maybe you can help me out with a problem that I'm having that is similar. Poor frame rates in my case. The system is a P4 1.8 with a PNY TI4200 card.When running the Direct X spinning cube tests it is very choppy. It looks okay, but is pretty glitchy while spinning. I downloaded the 3DMark 2001SE thing (suggested by PNY) and I get upwards of 100 fps with that test. But, when running FS2002 (1024x768 32) I get pretty crappy rates. Especially at KDFW (with American AI installed) or KMSP (with Northwest AI installed.) With an outside view showing just a few of the AI planes in view I'm only getting about 8fps. Maybe it's just me but that just doesn't seem right.The 3DMark tests were clean and smooth. The problem only seems to be in the Direct X tests (both 8.1 & 9.0a) and when running FS2002.Any suggestions would be of great help.Thanks!