Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest boeingflir

Stupid, outsider question

Gentlemen,I am new to the "game" of flight sim. I do however have quite a bit of "real world" experience in transport category jets. I have very little experience with PCs having been a Mac user for most of my computer literate life. I am very lucky in that I have bought, from a friend, a very well put together system and I have been flying the Level D 767 and more recently the PMDG 747 which were included in his software. It's been a long process. I can't even figure out how to get the PMDG Type rating course installed and get nothing but presumption on the PMDG forum, this stuff being elementary for most simmers and pc users. So, I muddle along, but do have these two ships up and running. I have Flight Sim Commander and Radar Contact as well as Active Sky. To cut to the chase as they say, I was looking over the other support forums and saw the 747-200 on this site. Is this a good simulation? How does one perform the tasks of the FE? Is it a virtual cockpit? Is it as functional as the Level D 767? The PMDG 747-400 is extremely impressive. I have some time in the 747-100 as FO going way back. I'm interested in your 747-200 as I would like to reacquaint myself with this fine ship.Thanks in advance for any guidance.Bruce Jacobsboeingflir@comcast.net

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The throttle has been somewhat automated but that's about it. I'm convinced that this aircraft is what set the bar for the PMDG and level D products we have today.The ONLY reason this was made freeware is because publishers were selling it and NOT paying the developers. If you really want to have a go, try my 2 tutorials. Heathrow to Milanhttp://users.tpg.com.au/captaing//RFP+tutorial.rtf---------------------------------------------------------------------Heathrow to JFKhttp://users.tpg.com.au/captaing//Long_Haul_Tutorial.ziphttp://users.tpg.com.au/captaing//ChartsAndStuff.zipI'm working on a 3rd one. Ultra long haul and this one is completely detailed with calculations and procedures. It'll take me at least 3-4 weeks to finish.Goran

Gentlemen,I am new to the "game" of flight sim. I do however have quite a bit of "real world" experience in transport category jets. I have very little experience with PCs having been a Mac user for most of my computer literate life. I am very lucky in that I have bought, from a friend, a very well put together system and I have been flying the Level D 767 and more recently the PMDG 747 which were included in his software. It's been a long process. I can't even figure out how to get the PMDG Type rating course installed and get nothing but presumption on the PMDG forum, this stuff being elementary for most simmers and pc users. So, I muddle along, but do have these two ships up and running. I have Flight Sim Commander and Radar Contact as well as Active Sky. To cut to the chase as they say, I was looking over the other support forums and saw the 747-200 on this site. Is this a good simulation? How does one perform the tasks of the FE? Is it a virtual cockpit? Is it as functional as the Level D 767? The PMDG 747-400 is extremely impressive. I have some time in the 747-100 as FO going way back. I'm interested in your 747-200 as I would like to reacquaint myself with this fine ship.Thanks in advance for any guidance.Bruce Jacobsboeingflir@comcast.net
The FE position is mostly for pre-flight panel setup and monitoring once everything is up and running. An occasional check at the vitals doesn't hurt, but for the most part the FE panels run themselves. If an abnormal condition or emergency occurs, then that might tie up a bit more of your time away from the forward view.I don't have this particular model, but I fly the DF727 in a home-built cockpit without the FE station. All of the panels are pop-ups for the FE station. I'm sure the workload is not that much more for a normal flight at the FE station in the 747 than it is in the 727. Good luck with your new hobby. It's quite addictive oce you get in to the building side of it.Michael C.

Thanks for your help. Yea, it's as close as you can come to the real thing. I get an irrepressible urge to start a crossword puzzle after passing Gander eastbound. I'm going to give this one a try and see if I can't get back into the whale. I may actually have a job coming up to fly this venerable machine and it will get me currant. I guess one other question; besides your tutorials which I will certainly go through (and look forward the long haul tutorial), are there aircraft operation manuals available?Thank you for your help Goran and Michael C. I'll start perusing the forum for more details.Bruce

Thanks for your help. Yea, it's as close as you can come to the real thing. I get an irrepressible urge to start a crossword puzzle after passing Gander eastbound. I'm going to give this one a try and see if I can't get back into the whale. I may actually have a job coming up to fly this venerable machine and it will get me currant. I guess one other question; besides your tutorials which I will certainly go through (and look forward the long haul tutorial), are there aircraft operation manuals available?Thank you for your help Goran and Michael C. I'll start perusing the forum for more details.Bruce
The manuals get installed with the aircraft. If you want charts and tables, do a search for matt zagoren on AVSIM. He has great charts for the -200.Goran