Sign in to follow this  
janico88

Direct waypoint and IAP Approach

Hi..I would like to confirm my understanding about RC4.Is it true that we only get the menu Direct waypoint (Dir Ckpt) after we are passing +/- 30Nm from the departure airport or when ATC instruct us to contact center?If this is true, how to skip waypoint/ SID that is located < 30NM.Is it true that we only get the menu IAP approach (Dir Ckpt) after we are closing +/- 30Nm from the arrival airport or when ATC instruct us to contact approach?If this is true, how to fly following a specific STAR if the 1st STAR waypont is still beyond 30NM? (suppose I do not include STAR in my flight plan at first, so it does not appear on RC4)

how to fly following a specific STAR if the 1st STAR waypont is still beyond 30NM?
The best way would be that JD provides us a way to increase this 30nm arrival ARPT hardcoded value :( Using a hexeditor or something :( Some unofficial hack :(

The best way would be that JD provides us a way to increase this 30nm arrival ARPT hardcoded value :( Using a hexeditor or something :( Some unofficial hack :(
Indeed, that would be perfect. Most of my approach start far outside the 30nm area around the destination airport.

handoff to approach occurs at 40 miles.put your star in the .plnfollow the star, when you contact approach, request an iap approach, and continue until you are lined up 7 miles from the airport, where you will be switched to tower.jd

handoff to approach occurs at 40 miles.put your star in the .plnfollow the star, when you contact approach, request an iap approach, and continue until you are lined up 7 miles from the airport, where you will be switched to tower.jd
I always put my star in the .plnSay the IAF is at more than 40nm from dst airport. Now what ?From the IAF, should I direct to the airport ? Should I choose and fly a trans to a specific RWY before even getting a chance to get cleared by approach freq ?

I always put my star in the .plnSay the IAF is at more than 40nm from dst airport. Now what ?From the IAF, should I direct to the airport ? Should I choose and fly a trans to a specific RWY before even getting a chance to get cleared by approach freq ?
if the iaf is outside 40 miles, and it's in your .pln, then you're going to progress it, like any other checkpoint in the .pln. fly your .pln, contact approach, request iap, request the runway, fly your star.jd

put your star in the .plnfollow the star, when you contact approach, request an iap approach, and continue until you are lined up 7 miles from the airport, where you will be switched to tower.
Unfortunately that's not always possible: quite often selection of a star depents on the runway in use. Especially on long hauls it's not possible to know which runway will be in use at the time of arrival.

Unfortunately that's not always possible: quite often selection of a star depents on the runway in use. Especially on long hauls it's not possible to know which runway will be in use at the time of arrival.
agreed. but i was replying to the question on how to do it with respect to the original question.but looking at the bigger picture, what you are asking for, is dynamic star assignment. i don't have, and don't plan on including a database of possible stars. without it, i don't know what the available arrival stars are. i only know what comes over in the .plnsoin a case like that, maybe there is a common end point for enroute, or in other words, a common point for all stars to begin at. make that your last checkpoint. once you reach it, you're still going to have to meet your crossing restriction. after that checkpoint, you will be expected to fly direct to the airport. when you switch over to approach, choose an iap approach, pick your runway, etc....will this change in v5.in some ways. without the database of stars, the pln is going to have to get you close to the airport.we'll see where we get, with stars, in v5jd