Sign in to follow this  
Guest snnib

Can I specify spot view distance?

Guest snnib

In FS9 it is possible to set the spot distance from the aircraft and also the altitude.Is that possible in FSX? I know I can use the + and - but the further away I go using this method the more things become distorted.I just want to set it for say a 1000 feet so I can then have a good view of the airports.regards,Richard.

In FS9 it is possible to set the spot distance from the aircraft and also the altitude.Is that possible in FSX? I know I can use the + and - but the further away I go using this method the more things become distorted.I just want to set it for say a 1000 feet so I can then have a good view of the airports.regards,Richard.
Hi Richard, unfortunately unlike FS2004 there is no easy way to set "spot view distance" in FSX, my understanding is that distance information is buried in each aircrafts *.mdl file and can't be easily edited. Some addon aircraft have quite distant "spot view" because its necessary for the modelling of aircraft special effects.Workaround - in spot view hold control button and zoom in or out using + or -, this prevents the "zoom" and will slowly move the "point of view" in or out. It can't be saved though and resets the *.mdl default each time the plane is loaded.Greg

I'm not sure but the keys you're looking for are Ctrl+ and Ctrl-This will actually change the camera distance, not the zoom.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest napamule

Don't forget: the '<-' (backspace, or back arrow) resets the zoom to 1X (ie: no 'distortion' or parallax). My ROUTINE (!) is to load aircraft, hit 'Ctrl+Spacebar' (sets centered tail view), hit '<-', hold Ctrl and use '-' and '+' to move camera closer or further (yes, they work 'backwards'), then press and hold spacebar and move mouse thoward wheels to set view a bit higher to be able to see runway over top of aircraft. ROUTINE. Can do it in my sleep. Only way. No other way. And yes, it bugs the heck out of me. But, if I'm keeping the aircraft, I go save a flight and it's set on reload. That is the secret word-'save flight'.Chuck BNapamule

Guest snnib
Don't forget: the '<-' (backspace, or back arrow) resets the zoom to 1X (ie: no 'distortion' or parallax). My ROUTINE (!) is to load aircraft, hit 'Ctrl+Spacebar' (sets centered tail view), hit '<-', hold Ctrl and use '-' and '+' to move camera closer or further (yes, they work 'backwards'), then press and hold spacebar and move mouse thoward wheels to set view a bit higher to be able to see runway over top of aircraft. ROUTINE. Can do it in my sleep. Only way. No other way. And yes, it bugs the heck out of me. But, if I'm keeping the aircraft, I go save a flight and it's set on reload. That is the secret word-'save flight'.Chuck BNapamule
Gosh that does sound like a pain but never mind I shall give it a go.Many thanks to you all,regardsRichard

Guest snnib

Well I did CTRL plus SPACE and then held down CTRL and + until I had moved a fair distance from the aircraft.I then used the POV HAT switch on my Saitek Pro Flight Yoketo go up giving a nice view of the whole airport from about 500'.Just like FS9 but not quite as easy - but it will do. I suppose POV's on other joysticks and yokeswill do the same thing for others.I am one happy chappie!!! :( regards to all,Richard.