Sign in to follow this  
Alba

737NG

Hi Folks.I realise that I am a 'Johnny come lately' to PMDG but I now have the 747 and the 737NG. Both are really nice. However, I am following Timothy M Metzinger's tutorial for the 737 and have discovered that the Auto Throttle will not arm. The tutorial sets the a/c up manually without using the FMC so I am unsure if I have missed something although I don't think so. Also I now have a strident warning beep every second. There is nothing showing as a caution and the flight deck is cold and dark. I moved the throttles to Idle on the ground and the beep went away but now it is back and I cannot stop it. I have not had the a/c long enough to recognise if this is a warning sound or an error. I don't want to uninstall needlessly so could someone advise me please?BTW, the a/t display on the PFD flashes briefly if that's a help but the switch does not toggle.Regards...Kenny

You have to set up the FMC with departure runway and V speeds (takeoff data) for A/T to work.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello Kenny,No need for a reinstall. Make sure your generators are online,your flaps are set (SOP is 5 for a normal takeoff) and the FD is on. This best way to avoid warnings is to apply the checklist :( On your takeoff roll don't forget to hit the TOGA button (the little screw top right of the EFIS).Happy landings

Hi Folks.Thanks for the input. I haven't been back to my sim yet but Timothy sets up the 737 Vspeeds by inputting them using the spd ref knob, no FMC input. I think my problem may be the fact that I have my TO/GA button mapped to my yoke as per the 747. My flight with the 73 did not pick it up on TO. I had plenty runway so I let it run to the end and lifted off without the TO/GA button. I realise that that is perhaps not correct SOP and that is perhaps why the A/T did not engage. Is the A/T dependent on the TO/GA being active?I will rerun the flight and see what happens.Regards...Ken

Hi Folks.I haven't been back to my sim yet but Timothy sets up the 737 Vspeeds by inputting them using the spd ref knob, no FMC input. I think my problem may be the fact that I have my TO/GA button mapped to my yoke as per the 747..."Regards...Ken
Its been a while but I am fairly certain you need to set the FMC up with the v-speeds for a/t to work correctly on take off. Also, a/t is armed once you throw the switch and the green light comes on. A/T will not engage until you hit the TO/GA button on take off. So I would agree with previous advice, follow the check lists included in the documentation.I always set up v-speeds in the FMC, arm A/T according to check lists and hit TO/GA according to procedures on take off and I have not encountered any issues. :(

Its been a while but I am fairly certain you need to set the FMC up with the v-speeds for a/t to work correctly on take off. Also, a/t is armed once you throw the switch and the green light comes on. A/T will not engage until you hit the TO/GA button on take off. So I would agree with previous advice, follow the check lists included in the documentation.I always set up v-speeds in the FMC, arm A/T according to check lists and hit TO/GA according to procedures on take off and I have not encountered any issues. :(
Hi George.Thanks for the input. I have re-read the tutorial and it looks like it is the fact that I missed the TO/GA switch on TO. I will revisit the mapping for my yoke and correct it. The V speeds are set manually for the first flight in the tutorial, so no FMC. The A/T switch was not toggling hence no green light in flight. This due to the fact of the missed TO/GA action I suppose. Cheers...Ken

Guest fencer88
Hi George.Thanks for the input. I have re-read the tutorial and it looks like it is the fact that I missed the TO/GA switch on TO. I will revisit the mapping for my yoke and correct it. The V speeds are set manually for the first flight in the tutorial, so no FMC. The A/T switch was not toggling hence no green light in flight. This due to the fact of the missed TO/GA action I suppose. Cheers...Ken
Hi Ken, You're right, programming the FMS is not a prerequisite for TOGA engagement. And (Dan & George), even if you do use the FMS, the absence of departing runway and Vspeeds will not prevent TOGA engagement in PMDG's NG (I don't know about the real NG). Incidentally. I found out some time ago by taking off from an airport where the FMS database was missing all runways (COMOX - CYQQ with AIRAC 0809 : err: 11 rwy unknown). After that, I re-read the manuals and Tim's tutorial and it looked obvious... (With hindsight we are all so much clever, aren't we? :( )Cheers,Bruno