Sign in to follow this  
ghiom

STAR flying and 40NM radius

A question about STAR approach.Will RCv5 allow to fly real STAR and not only 12000 feet at 40NM from the airport?Yesterday, I landed to CYUL coming from CYQM on rwy 6L.My flight plan included the MAIRE.6 STAR which calls to be at MAIRE below FL170 when landing east (6L and 6R). MAIRE being only 25NM from the airport, RCv4 ordered me to be 15NM prior to MAIRE at 12000, which means that I had to fly 40 NM at 12000 before commencing the approach...On the other hand, landing at SEA on 34C/R coming from south, being at 12000 40NM from the airport is too late and results in a difficult approach because you have to descent quickly to make your approach.Will RCv5 be more realistic from that point of view?And, while waiting for, it could we have a workaround in RCv4 to allow to change the 40NM radius depending on our flight? Instead of having it hard cored?ThanksGhiomLover of RC!

A question about STAR approach.Will RCv5 allow to fly real STAR and not only 12000 feet at 40NM from the airport?Yesterday, I landed to CYUL coming from CYQM on rwy 6L.My flight plan included the MAIRE.6 STAR which calls to be at MAIRE below FL170 when landing east (6L and 6R). MAIRE being only 25NM from the airport, RCv4 ordered me to be 15NM prior to MAIRE at 12000, which means that I had to fly 40 NM at 12000 before commencing the approach...On the other hand, landing at SEA on 34C/R coming from south, being at 12000 40NM from the airport is too late and results in a difficult approach because you have to descent quickly to make your approach.Will RCv5 be more realistic from that point of view?And, while waiting for, it could we have a workaround in RCv4 to allow to change the 40NM radius depending on our flight? Instead of having it hard cored?ThanksGhiomLover of RC!
i haven't started the star code yet, so i can't tell you whether it will do one thing or the other. i will be assisted by real world controllers and pilots. if they approve, it should be pretty good.jd

Thanks for your reply.What about a small change in the current RCv4 to allow to customize the distance from the airport at which be at FL120?ThanksGhiom

Thanks for your reply.What about a small change in the current RCv4 to allow to customize the distance from the airport at which be at FL120?ThanksGhiom
sorry. any work like that will be in v5. it's not just changing one line of code, and compiling. there is testing, especially in the critical juncture between enroute and approach. then there is documentation, etc.the time is better spent on v5.jd

Right.If the code line is simple, why don't you skip the test, the manual and all and provide this unofficialy for experienced user without any support!ThanksGhiom

Changing one line of code can frequently cause unforeseen side effects in other sections. Skipping testing by several testers can result in a specific environment causing undesired actions. Just guessing here but what you are requesting might fall in a different controller stratus (altitude window jurisdiction) that might have different processing techniques such as different stepping altitudes.

Right.If the code line is simple, why don't you skip the test, the manual and all and provide this unofficialy for experienced user without any support!ThanksGhiom

have you done any programming? just curious.it's not like there is one line of code that saysif x=40 then call xand i change it to if x=30 then call xit just doesn't work that way. sorry. boy, i wish it did!it's not one line of code, it's not one subroutine, it's not one module. it's all tied together. it all works together.

Yes, I have done some programming, although it is not my job!For me, it could have been like the 150NM at which you can call for a pause. This is changeable.Anyway, I did not want to bother you.I was just asking.I'll be waiting for RCv5 then...And please increase the waypoint crossing tolerance! or at least, give us the option to do so!Ghiom