Sign in to follow this  
BimmerCop

Vista x64 or XP x64?

I recently needed to move from Vista64 to XP64 and I'm seeing big improvement with XP. The most notable area is with FTX I used to get 9-12 FPS on approach into YMML I'm now seeing 16-23 with the same settings and AC (LvD763).

Vista make XP seem like a toy in many ways. Of course you will need to get smart as to which services to kill like the indexing service, disable UAC ect. The problem with Vista is that it trys to protect you from yourself. Anyway, Vista 64 is the best OS I've ever run since the early 80's.Win 7 is Vista after someone tweaked it. So if you own Vista kill some services and you will have Win 7.BTW, nVidia drivers are the #1 reason for Vista crashes but things have improved in recent months.Enjoyjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Guest Aviator4life
. . .BTW, nVidia drivers are the #1 reason for Vista crashes but things have improved in recent months.Enjoyjja
I must have been one of the lucky ones. Been using 64 bit Vista since last April and have updated my 9800GX2 drivers many times. Never had any system crashes related to my nVidia drivers or any of those "your display driver has quit working" error messages that I've read about in the forums both here and elsewhere. Just thought I'd share my experience with regards to the above statement. Guess that even a blind squirrel finds and acorn once in a while. :( Best regards. :(

Hello guys,I currently have Vista x64 on my FSX system and seeing how this PC is setup ONLY for FSX, I was wondering... Should I use Vista x64 or XP x64 for running my FSX ONLY PC? Which one will yield the best performance? Keep in mind, this PC is used ONLY for FSX. Thanks in advance!
. With your specs, there is no reason why you should not be running Vista x64 (and then upgrade to Windows 7 x64). You 'should' see some type of performace increase in moving to Vista, but don't expect miracles and you'll be fine. The fact that you have native DX10 capability and support for new technologies that may / or may not impact FSX in the future makes it a no brainer.In short, with your rig you are running the start-of-the-art that supports Vista so you have no reason to be stuck with XP and you futureproof FSX, but in the present you should see at least some improvement....a win-win situation for any user with the proper hardware such as yourself.

. With your specs, there is no reason why you should not be running Vista x64 (and then upgrade to Windows 7 x64). You 'should' see some type of performace increase in moving to Vista, but don't expect miracles and you'll be fine. The fact that you have native DX10 capability and support for new technologies that may / or may not impact FSX in the future makes it a no brainer.In short, with your rig you are running the start-of-the-art that supports Vista so you have no reason to be stuck with XP and you futureproof FSX, but in the present you should see at least some improvement....a win-win situation for any user with the proper hardware such as yourself.
I've got to disagree with this I'm getting far better performance since moving from Vista64 to XP64. The only good thing about Vista is DX10 preview and with it I can equal my current performance but it produces floating runway markings and is worthless to me. The other thing is FSX will not be changing anytime soon or ever! so if ain't broke don't break it! Honestly I say save your money, skip Vista and get W7 beta or wait for release.MySpecs:WinXP64 proASUS P5Q proQ9650 (OC 3.6)4GB Corsair XMS RAMEVGA 9800x2 (OC)1x WD 320GB Caviar1x WD 300GB VelociraptorReal-tek sound