Sign in to follow this  
Guest Airtime

VC default view using spacebar

Guest Airtime

Greetings,I have started using the VC more and more and am liking it. There is one thing that I hope can be solved. When I first go into the VC and pan around I can hit the space bar and the view will return to front and center, this is what I would like to happen. After that, when I pan around the space bar no longer activates that default view. Any ideas why this happens and is there a fix?thanks in advance,AT

Weird: the spacebar should work everytime...BTW If you really want to enjoy the VC, get TrackIR: it's worth it. ;)

Settings > Controls > Eyepoint reset = Space BarThat should work!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I think the default behaviour is that spacebar activates "mouse look" but you have to hold it down. Mouse look is worth playing around with if you've never tried it.scott s..

Guest ziporama

Just make sure something hasn't mapped the key to something else - that's a regular issue that comes up.Yes, another vote for trackIR, although I still have to use a key to center the dang thing (I find I never sit quite the same way on my captain's chair - casters and TrackIR don't mix). The re-center key comes in handy...Etienne

Greetings,I have started using the VC more and more and am liking it. There is one thing that I hope can be solved. When I first go into the VC and pan around I can hit the space bar and the view will return to front and center, this is what I would like to happen. After that, when I pan around the space bar no longer activates that default view. Any ideas why this happens and is there a fix?thanks in advance,AT
Try F9 and F10... they will give you the standard view in 2d and VC.

Bert

Try assigning a key or button to "Look Forward (3-D Cockpit)". If you are using the hat switch on a joystick or yoke to look around, assigning this to an adjacent button works great.

Art

Guest napamule

You should try 'Ctrl+Spacebar' press. In the VC, after panning, that sets it back to center. You can also use joy hat switch to 'lower' your view, where you can see more instruments, YET still see the horizond/runway. You can also use '(hold) Spacebar (down)+mouse (move) to lower view, without loseing sight of your horizon/runway. All of this after you hit (backspace) '<-' (arrow) to keep everything at 1X ZOOM. Here are 3 pics of VC in C172 (notice more of the radio comes into view).For Spot view, I hit 'Ctrl+Spacebar', then '<-' (to set to 1x zoom) then use 'Ctrl+'-' (or '+') keys to move view closer or further away from aircraft (yes, it works 'backwards').Chuck BNapamule

Guest Airtime

Thanks for the answers gents. Ctrl-space is what I was looking for (I don't remember having to press ctrl in the past though). Also, thanks for the tip on mouselook, I wish my joystick hat was as smooth and precise as the mouse. Is there a way to set zoom in and out to the mouse wheel?AT

Guest napamule

Ah, terminology. Gets you everytime. You said '..set zoom in or out with mouse wheel'. Zoom? You might of meant 'Camera Position' which is what you adjust when you use 'Ctrl+'-' (and/or '+'). Zoom you adjust with '-' and/or '+' by themself. Zoom introduces distortion (parallax). Zoom is bad for any king of accuracy when it comes to landing, etc. Zoom is bad. Camera positon is good. Just being sarc-&amp;@(&#036;*-tic, for making a point. OK? OK! Don't know how to do it as I use fingers (thumb on right 'Ctrl' key, etc) as it's quicker and I imagine will be smoother than mouse wheel, but it's a good idea. Note: we say '-' or '+' but it's ACTUALLY Ctrl+ '-' (or '='). Get my drift. We say '-' and '+' out of convinience. So if you try to set wheel in controls, or you mouse profile, (I doubt it, as you mouse would not be listed in 'Controls') it would be '-' and '='. Just to be clear.Chuck BNapamule(Ok, so I am (exxxcuuusssse meeee) a 'flightsimologist'.... (heehee)).

Guest Airtime
Ah, terminology. Gets you everytime. You said '..set zoom in or out with mouse wheel'. Zoom? You might of meant 'Camera Position' which is what you adjust when you use 'Ctrl+'-' (and/or '+'). Zoom you adjust with '-' and/or '+' by themself. Zoom introduces distortion (parallax). Zoom is bad for any king of accuracy when it comes to landing, etc. Zoom is bad. Camera positon is good. Just being sarc-&amp;@(&#036;*-tic, for making a point. OK? OK! Don't know how to do it as I use fingers (thumb on right 'Ctrl' key, etc) as it's quicker and I imagine will be smoother than mouse wheel, but it's a good idea. Note: we say '-' or '+' but it's ACTUALLY Ctrl+ '-' (or '='). Get my drift. We say '-' and '+' out of convinience. So if you try to set wheel in controls, or you mouse profile, (I doubt it, as you mouse would not be listed in 'Controls') it would be '-' and '='. Just to be clear.Chuck BNapamule(Ok, so I am (exxxcuuusssse meeee) a 'flightsimologist'.... (heehee)).
After my post I fired up the sim and found that the mouse wheel does do what I wanted it to. This applies to mouse look. When in mouse look the wheel zooms in and out slightly on the instruments or wherever I am looking, nice feature.AT

Hi, AT and everyone.To Reset to Original / Default View you can use "Ctrl+Space bar".I know that this may be a bit outside of what you asked, but I wanted to give you another input that you may want to try / thing about. Let me set the stage as to what and why I do the set up I use / recommend.I fly on a daily basis and tried most of the combinations over the last 30 years. Yes, I know MS did not have a Sim back then, my first sim was a Navigation sim that I wrote for myself and it could run on Main frames, Minis, and CPM based micros. I tried / built Projectors, as many as 6 monitors, moving Platforms and did a lot of time in the C130 6DoFs Military Sim. I ended up with the set up that I will describe below. Am I totally satisfied? No, but it's the most realistic compromise that works for me, and is what I recommend to my associates.Requirements: Accomplish all the required operations with No Keyboard, or Mouse use during the flight time. Just a Controller / Joy stick, Rudder Pedals and Voice control.Hardware setup: Computer that can handle the code requirements and 2x Video outputs, 2x 25in CRTs, one 21 in. or more, can work if no Moving map used. Rudder Pedals, with Diff. Brake capability, I have a bunch of CH Pros, with Game to Joystick adapter, and a AV8R-01 Jstick, or I use the Sidewinder Pro from MS, or any that have Twist action will do, most of the time. A headset with a microphone and SpeechBuddy2 Voice control utility free from AVSIM. I know it's not Hardware but it performs Hardware functions, sends Keystrokes to the sim, and a Timer attached to my Jstick or Kneeboard, in my lap. I am at least 3 ft. away from my screen, keyboard, mouse. I will not get into the details of SpeechBuddy, but you can find more info if you want, just do a search for Avcomware.Eye Point / View set up.Here is the thing that I consider most important: You must be able to sit in the Pilot's seat, get a perspective that is as close to real as possible, be able to perform all the in flight functions needed for a Complex GA like a 172RG, and Do not use any of the hardware that is not present inside an aircraft, Keyboard or Mouse included. Yes, I know that there are some that have them now, that's the most likely thing to kill most of the pilots, just my opinion.In VC mode, which is the only mode I recommend.Let's take a 172, KSNA, 19R, to adjust your view / eye position. When I look out front I expect to see the 6-8 Pack only, the Tower to my right, and a small portion of the Runway to the left side, and the wing tips. See Pic. Below.1-Adjust your Zoom, outside forward view, +, -, or Ctrl +,- to achieve that, then adjust your Zoom to achieve that. 2- Adjust your Eye position to see a small portion of the top of the Cowl, the top two rows of the Instrument Panel, and the Wing tips. This should be no problem in FSX, but FS9 172 has no Cowl, the rest applies. You may have to readjust / repeat step 1, until you get it right. I normally end up with .53 in FSX, very difficult to adjust to see the Right side of the wing, and .65 in FS9. Yes I know, there is some distortion and other issues but it's the best of all evils. You get a realistic forward view, most of time. Ideally you want to end up with a Instrument panel View that has the same size / spacing as in real aircraft, and satisfy all the above requirements. Very difficult to achieve. That's why I ended up creating my own quasi 182RG, that has no artistic value, but it has ALL the instruments / position / Size that represent the real aircraft, on my screens.In FSX you can just Save the Flight, use ; (semicolon) and you can reload in the same position. In fs9 you will have to modify your Views / Eyepoint in the "Aircraft.cfg" file, but it keeps your Zoom ratio.Here is one of the most under utilized functions / assignments, next to SpeechBuddy, in my opinion. ASSIGN your Twist motion to PanView Left Right axis under Controls, Assignments. What does this assignment achieve? The ability to overcome the limitation of Look / View, Right / Left without having a need of 2-4 additional Screens / Monitors. This makes it easier to do Pattern work also. When I turn left, I say "Looking left / right", twist the handle, or have the SpeechBuddy issue that command, release the handle that will return you to the Forward view, and then Bank in the direction you want to turn. If I want to check my wing tips, which I use frequently in training, I do the same thing. I use the Hat for the other Views, mainly Up/ Down, or whe I want to spend more time looking at some area, like Radios, Cowl Flaps etc., one slight twist of the handle and I am in Forward view, this will not bring you to original Up / Down, you still have to use the Hat for that. If you have and extra Button you can assign it to Reset Eyepoint. I just use SpeechBuddy2's command "Look forward".I assign the ACCGUMPPS, Accessories, Cowl flaps, Carb heat, Gas, Under carriage, Mixture, Prop, Pump, Safety (belts, sterile cockpit, etc.) to as many switches as I have on my Jstick. Elevator Trim 2x, Gear 1x, Cowl Flaps 2x, Flaps 2x, Carb Heat 1x (option), Mixture 2x (option), Prop 2x, Speed Brks. (optional). The rest I assign to my SpeechBuddy. Radios I use ATC+SpeechBuddy Select Nr… In FS9 SpeechBuddy2 and FSUIPC (free version) will give you direct access to set the frequencies Auto pilot headings, and everything else you need. Some will say that using speech is not realistic, true, to some extent, but let me just say this, if you want to survive in Aviation you better Talk to yourself, and others, A LOT. Especially when I fly alone I talk out loud a lot. One of these days I will get a stuck mike and these guys may think there is a loony, on board. It has not happen in over 30 years, and if it does I don't really worry about it. The mechanics are the same, Look and see what you have, Change / Say what you need, Verify correct, next task.I use my second Monitor / Screen for Moving Map, Terminal / Approach charts, Radio Stack, which is a pain to read in FSX, GPS etc. TV