Sign in to follow this  
boshar

Need help starting B314 Clipper engines

I'm trying Pilot's B314 (download version) for the first time, but unfortunately I cannot get the engines to start, or do anything. - If I follow the "cold start" checklist, nothing happens.- If I load the Foynes.FLT flight (that came with the B314 package), the engines immediately shut down as soon as the flight loads.- If I start engines on a stock FS2002 aircraft, then switch to the B314, the engines again immediately shut down. I am a veteran FS2002 user and know how to start many finicky planes, but the B314 has me stumped. I've followed the checklist very carefully--still no joy. I want to fly this aircraft. Am I missing something? Can anybody help? Thanks!

Hey,For aircraft I havr this problem with, I do this: -Slew Up into the air-UnslewNow the engines should be running and stay on...After that just slew back to parking :)Hope that helps,Jason :-wave

I confess that I too have used this somewhat less than reality method to get some float planes that want to stick in the water to get airborne and flying. But, if you have tried Control E, it might take a bit for the engines to actually go through their cycles and begin turning. I've noticed that the case with one of the new Connie models which I started that way, before figuring out how to use the FE panel to do the correct startup.Sherm

Hi Sherm,I've tried CTRL-E, but all that appears to happen is that the #1 engine spins for a few seconds, then stops. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough?>But, if you have tried>Control E, it might take a bit for the engines to actually go>through their cycles and begin turning.

Are you sure you followed the checklist and are you sure about hitting the right switches (some names might be interpreted wrong and some of these switches are hard to find). Follow the procedure on page 47 - 48 in the manual and let me know about steps in the procedure you're not sure about.I recently migrated to another HD and a while after that I reinstalled the B314. Couldn't find the manual I printed so I tried to do a start from memory. I managed it but only after I figured out where the ignition switches where located.If you get those engines started be sure to remove the beaching gear and follow the take off procedure to the letter. Especially watch the flap settings and only set take off flap when you are at the required speed otherwise you will have to forget about the flying part and just use it as a boat.Good luck!

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Thanks for the tips, boshar.I went through the startup procedure again and found some places where I may have set the switches in the wrong position. This time around I was able to get all of the engines running, but not without resorting to CTRL+E. I then had a wonderful flight. The Clipper is not quite the beast I expected. Even with all FS2002 realisms maxed out, the Clipper was still very managable throughout the flight. (Maybe that was due in part because I was flying with 50% fuel.)When I tried starting the engines manually this time around, I could get them to spin for about a minute or so, but then they would shut down again. I know about setting magnetos, mixtures, using the primers, etc., but still no joy.One odd thing I noted about this aircraft is that I suspect some panel settings are stored in a file called PILOTS_B314.dat in the FS2002 root folder.

>One odd thing I noted about this aircraft is that I suspect>some panel settings are stored in a file called>PILOTS_B314.dat in the FS2002 root folder.Alot of commercial planes sprinkle their own files around FS. It's been a few months since I flew the clipper, but I can tell you it does work as advertised **IF** you follow the directions to the exact letter.

I can second that. Remember, this is no sprinter, and at full weight (needed for those long trips) lift off is slowwwwwww !!This is an extract from the manual:Water Taxiing and Crosswind handlingThe preferred method by clipper pilots is through differential power. This is the method of using the outboard engines to steer the boat. It works well provided the pilot follows some basic rules:1. All taxiing in the 314 should be done with the propellers in full low pitch, to provide the most thrust in low speed situations.2. Only the outboard engines should be used.3. In winds < 8 knots the 314 can taxi at any speed under any load. Study the engine control commands to become familiar with switching control from one engine to another and then back to all engines. You will become familiar with the

Hi!I would be very interested in your Word document. Thanks in advance.Brgds, Frederick Thornberg

Frederick,If you let me have your e-mail address at the following, I'll send it to you:alastair.monk@tintechnology.comCheers,Alastair