Sign in to follow this  
Lincolnshire Poacher

PMDG beginner

I've read the reviews and like the look of the MD11 (FSX). I would love to buy it but at the moment I have not a lot of time to devote to learning all the systems etc. My question is can I get this bird in the sky as quick as one of the standard FSX birds? If so I might just buy it and learn the systems when I have the time.Alo how would it run on my rig, the spec is:AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+ processor4gb ram600gb hard driveNvidia geoforce 9800GT 1gigWindows Vista Home Premium 32 bitAlo using Justflights VFR real scenery volumes one and four.Your advice and help would be appreciated.Gweebarra flying from EGXPMy apologies for not reading the forum rules. Gweebarra is a psuedonym. Real name below.Les AshtonEGXP

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

I've read the reviews and like the look of the MD11 (FSX). I would love to buy it but at the moment I have not a lot of time to devote to learning all the systems etc. My question is can I get this bird in the sky as quick as one of the standard FSX birds? If so I might just buy it and learn the systems when I have the time.Alo how would it run on my rig, the spec is:AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+ processor4gb ram600gb hard driveNvidia geoforce 9800GT 1gigWindows Vista Home Premium 32 bitAlo using Justflights VFR real scenery volumes one and four.Your advice and help would be appreciated.Gweebarra flying from EGXP
Thats whats great about the md-11 in real life. Everything is automated. Yeah when u start the sim everything will be set up for flight, but that no fun. I suggest you learn the systems. Its a 1400pg. manual. Have fun- very good buy.

Yeah, the MD-11 is a fantastic aircraft. Yes, it is very in-depth, but don't feel put off by the '1400 page' manual. Its great that its so in depth, but the tutorial provided with it gives you a general overview of how the aircraft operates. How much further in-depth you want to go beyond the tutorial is entirely your choice :). With regards to your hardware, I have a similar spec system to yourself, I'm using a AMDX2 6400+, 8800GTX 768MB, 4GB OZ Platiunum DDR2. I find it runs fine, obviously its all subject to how you have configured FSX. Anthony H

Post in this forum need to be signed, but I will assume your name is Gweebarra.If you are happy with FSX then the MD11 doesn't need any more horsepower than you have, but I'm not familiar with AMD chips to get specific.However, this is a complex airplane. All systems are automated but it will take time to learn how to make an easy flight. Depends on your background, hard to say how much time.Safe to say if all you have flown are default FSX airplanes then you will have a lot to learn, but I can't think of a better looking aircraft to learn it with. She is absolutely stunning in FSX.

Dan Downs KCRP

I agree with Dan Downs,If you want an aircraft you can simply jump in and fly like the default aircraft then you're better off with a free external model and sound update. The point of a PMDG product is that it is a very representative simulation of the real aircraft and this is what makes it fun and challenging.My suggestion to you would be that rather than shying away from the additional complexity of the aircraft and wanting to "jump in and go" that you really take the bull by the horns and try to learn how to operate these simulated aircraft properly. There is a wealth of information on this forum, a number of fellow enthusiasts that are eager to help you with any problems you may be having and of course the PMDG ops pages.If you're prepared to put the effort into it you will not regret it, and I recommend it. But if you're looking for an "easy" aircraft then PMDG aircraft are going to surpass your needs by quite a significant margin, that's what makes them so good!CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

I've read the reviews and like the look of the MD11 (FSX). I would love to buy it but at the moment I have not a lot of time to devote to learning all the systems etc. My question is can I get this bird in the sky as quick as one of the standard FSX birds? If so I might just buy it and learn the systems when I have the time.Alo how would it run on my rig, the spec is:AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+ processor4gb ram600gb hard driveNvidia geoforce 9800GT 1gigWindows Vista Home Premium 32 bitAlo using Justflights VFR real scenery volumes one and four.Your advice and help would be appreciated.Gweebarra flying from EGXPMy apologies for not reading the forum rules. Gweebarra is a psuedonym. Real name below.Les AshtonEGXP
Les!Forgive me saying so, what

Thanks for the advice Guys, I think I will download the manuals, then buy the plane, I'm up for it and with time (maybe a long time) and you Guys I'm sure I will master it.Les Ashton

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

Just seen this review herehttp://forum.ivao.aero/index.php?topic=89039.0I think that has me sold on it now.les Ashton

You know, so much is automated in the MD-11 that it's very easy to start with engines running and set up for a flight. Actually, I find the 747 and 737 just as easy. If you use an "engines running" default flight so that loading the MD-11 allows the plane to be ready for flight, all you have to do is set up the FMS and make a few changes to the panels. This is what I do since I don't often have too much time to fly and care more about my time in the air than anything. The FMS will be your challenge in any of these types of aircraft. Luckily the MD-11 from PMDG will load your flight plan without waypoint inputs, so that's a nice shortcut, provided you create a plan in the FS planner.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Once again thanks to all for your advice.I have decided to buy the MD11 and I am downloading it as I write this.

Good Deal Les! You will not be disappointed with your purchase. The MD-11 is by far the best payware aircraft on the market today.I suggest the tutorial to get you up and running and after you have have some time dive into the manual to get all the extras and to see why PMDG is in the top of its class.

You'll enjoy it. I find it much easier to fly than certain other heavy aircraft.If you need help setting up for a flight with engines already running, ask me, I'll tell you how I do it. It's real easy that way. Start up is easy too, but takes a little longer.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

You'll enjoy it. I find it much easier to fly than certain other heavy aircraft.If you need help setting up for a flight with engines already running, ask me, I'll tell you how I do it. It's real easy that way. Start up is easy too, but takes a little longer.
Yo Les! Good to see you in here.By far the hardest part is reading the manuals :( Flying this bird is a doddle after that.Good Buy & Goodbye

Only had time for a quick look and like what I see, not managed to get this bird in the air yet, will probably have to wait till next week due to pressure of work ........... good things come to those who wait!!