Sign in to follow this  
NeilC

EDDH - EDDK (strange weather depiction)

Hi Jim,As requested, here are some screenshots from a flight this morning from EDDH - EDDK (FS9)To start with, I started ASA, imported a flight plan, set the graphics and the GEPro graphics, reset AI, etc....................then started FS9. I waited 10 minutes for it to all stabilise, and then started up the aircraft which took another 15 minutes.Here was the weather from EDDH (notice the high level OVC layer)Here is a screenshot just before pushback of how this weather (including OVC layer) was depictedDuring the flight I took lots of shots (can't upload them all due to the file size restrictions). But here is an average one.First the weather from the nearest station (which was similar to other stations near by):And here is what it looked like out of the window:Finally, I arrived at EDDK. Here is what the weather was giving (confirmed by the ATIS):Here is base leg just before turning final at about 12nm out:Here is final approach at 10 miles out (no sign of any OVC cloud here, you can make out the runway):And 8 miles out (some cloud has appeared, but still at 2600 feet and the OVC should have a base of 1200ft - so I should be in white out):And 5 miles out (still at 2000ft, should be in or above the cloud, but I can still see the runway easily and the ground all around):And finally the weather changes at about 800 AGL and the vis drops and the OVC layer appears above me:Today wasn't as bad as other times (I know they all say that), but I specifically picked an airport with OVC quite low, to demonstrate.What I am expecting to see is not much ground below as I approach the airport, then into cloud as I descend towards final, and then nothing until I break cloud (in this case at 1200ft). What am I doing wrong? My points:1) the departure weather had an OVC layer fairly high up, but departure weather showed lots of Blue Sky.2) on the way the weather was BKN all the way (the map was just continuous cloud with lots of rain) but I had hardly any cloud out of the window3) until about 8nm on final there was hardly any cloud (even though all the local stations including the Destination had low OVC cover).4) I could see the ground below and the runway all the way in (even though I was supposed to be in/above the OVC layer)5) ALL I WANT IS TO ARRIVE AT THE DESTINATION AND HAVE THE WEATHER IN SAY A 40nm RADIUS EXACTLY HOW THE METAR SAYS IT IS!that means, if there is low cloud, show low cloud, if I shouldn't be able to see the runway, I don't want to see the runway. Where is the fun flying IFR when you can see the ground and the runway all the time?Thanks,Neil.ps, I will post all my ASA options settings as soon as you reply and I get an upload limit again/

beta.gif

Hi,What I would like to see are your FS settings and your ASA settings.Thanks!

Hi Jim,First of all, thanks for persevering with this (and all my moaning :( ).I really appreciate the support from the HiFi pages, which I rate as second to none!As requested here are my Screenshots of all settings!ASA settings first:FS display settings (wx tab)And finally FSUIPC (registered version)Hopefully you will spot what I am doing wrong!ThanksNeil

beta.gif

Hi,I think you told me before, but what are your system specs?Settings all look fine.Anything else running except ASA and FS?Thanks,Jim

Hi Jim,My specs are as follows:FS9.1 (using ASA, RC4, FSBuild and Maddog).Windows XP HomeIntel E8600 overclocked to 4.0 Gigs4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz memoryBFG Nvidia GeForce GTX280.Have I missed something.I have the framerate locked to 24 and it never drops below this even in the worst weather.Maybe you could put in an option to lock the weather in a 40-80nm radius to the METAR given by the Arrival airport. This would make sure that the weather is uniform all the way in.As for the cloud coverage (or lack of it) I am as confused as you, because AS6.5 did this perfectly all the time. Not as pretty in any way, not as many layers, but when the departure/arrival wx said OVC or BKN it was OVC or BKN. When the Vis was low, the vis was low!Praying for SP1 to solve these issues, although from what I understand you aren't working on it as you can't reproduce this.Anyone else using FS9 having similar problems?ThanksNeilC

beta.gif

Anyone else using FS9 having similar problems?NeilC
Yes ! i'm back to AS6.5 till SP1Bruno

Bruno 

Good, not just me going mad then!I was over the moon when there was a new product released for FS9.Hifi sim could so easily have forgotten us and concentrated on FSX. So Jim, a big thank you for thinking of us.I am sure that it will end up perfect, but in the meantime, I might also go back to AS6.5.If you need any testing done, just let me know, I am more than willing, and as I agree ASA is a superb product I would love to help make it work for FS9!Thanks againNeil

beta.gif

Hi All,Lets see if the next SP will help with this. If it doesn't then Damian will want to work with you one-on-one.Thanks,

Hi Neil,If you can post the date and time of the METAR you were using I can see whether I can replicate this on my FS9.1 / ASA system.Alastair

Hi Alastair,That would be really kind of you. I pushed back from EDDH on 12/03/09 at around 08:05 GMT and landed at EDDK at around 09:35.Are you going to test using SP1, I might give that a go as well, see if there is any difference!Thanks again it is much appreciated.Neil

beta.gif

Thought I'd give it a go with SP1I set the weather to the correct time and date (12/03/09 - 0815Z - EDDH),The cloud should be FEW025 OVC130.as shown belowI left it to stabilize, and ASA said WX update complete and this is what has been depicted. (look at all of that blue sky - even with OVC)Damian/Jim, can you help please?ps, I just went slewing, and there is a layer at about 13000ft, but only a few fluffy clouds directly above a small part of the airfield overhead, and there are few clouds at about 2500 in all directions. The thing is, if you give OVC, that goes out in all directions from where you are looking, and is normally Nimbus Stratus type cloud, not fluffy CU. I am sure you will agree that the view from the front of the aircraft (zoomed out to 0.5 to help see cloud directly around the aircraft) does not reflect the METAR.The airfields nearby (incase they are influencing it) are giving various layers of BKN between 030 and 045 (some giving 2 layers of broken), so there definitely should not be any blue sky looking out to the west (as I am in the picture)

beta.gif

Hi Neil,OK here are the results at EDDH Active Runway 33. First with ASA Build 355Then ASA was closed and the latest Build 394 installed. (At least I think so. The Build number on the ASA screen remains at B355)As you can see, the update maybe adds a little more overcast, and on my system I do get more overcast than you appear to.Alastair

Thanks Alastair!Which graphics are you using to generate the Cloud textures.I did have a bit more cloud cover to the south and east of the airport (my screenshot was taken lined up on 23).You do seem to have a fair bit more cloud cover. I am using 10 layers, what are you on? Can't figure this, I should be seeing something similar to you.Could I ask you to have a look at my settings (ASA, FS9, FSUIPC) screenshots above - and let me know if you have yours set differently in any way? Thanks for your help here,Neil

beta.gif