Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest markcasp

Captian Sim 727 FSX - CAUTION....

I Just want to let you all know that I purchased the CS727-100 Pro and made 9 attempts to install this software onto my system, with no luck. None of the gauges were activated, non of the switches or dials operated, no yoke, so no sterring of flying. When I downloaded the file ...ALL my protection was disabled, even my ACU, my order code was entered correctly because I cut and paste so I dont miss a figure. I spect $72.00 with no help from CS...I even registered for there forum, which they never activated, and I can not log in to post a help complaint. Think twice about purchasing from Captain Sim...I never saw anywhere on there advertise site that it was not compatable with VISTA...I even asked for a REFUND...they will not refund my purchase, even if I can not get it to install.Mark

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I Just want to let you all know that I purchased the CS727-100 Pro and made 9 attempts to install this software onto my system, with no luck. None of the gauges were activated, non of the switches or dials operated, no yoke, so no sterring of flying. When I downloaded the file ...ALL my protection was disabled, even my ACU, my order code was entered correctly because I cut and paste so I dont miss a figure. I spect $72.00 with no help from CS...I even registered for there forum, which they never activated, and I can not log in to post a help complaint. Think twice about purchasing from Captain Sim...I never saw anywhere on there advertise site that it was not compatable with VISTA...I even asked for a REFUND...they will not refund my purchase, even if I can not get it to install.Mark
In your post on another topic, you said you are running Vista -->64<--, not Vista 32. If so, that may be the problem. I've never used Vista 64 myself, but from all I've read, it seems that FSX itself (with "stock" aircraft) does seem to run on 64-bit Vista just fine.BUT, when you add a complex add-on aircraft which is jam-packed with dozens of highly customized gauges, to a 64-bit OS, all bets are off. I'd imagine that all C.S. development was done on a 32-bit OS, with 32-bit development tools. I see nothing on their web site which indicates compatibility with Vista 64. Does Vista 64 have the option to mark particular applications to run in a compatibility mode for 32-bit? (Just as "plain" 32-bit Vista has a compatibility mode for apps written for XP). If so, perhaps you need to enable that compatibility mode for the C.S. 727 installer.Jim Barrett

I have had the exact same problems as indicated by Mark. I have tryed reinstalling disabling anti-virus and firewalls as well as following their instructions for manual activation. What makes it very unusual is that this same system is running two of their other fsx planes with no problems in installation or in flying.If anyone has any suggestions, about what I could try, I would appreciate it. Barry

All this paranoia about Vista 64 is unjustified. I run FSX and most all the significantpayware airliners, Wilco EJets, Wilco 737 PIC, PMDG 747, MD11, LDS, on and onAnd not ONE of them has any issue with the fact that they are running on a 64 bitOS. Vista leaves lots of room for people to run into problems but I see no evidencethat a properly set up system has problems.I should also mention that I have CS 757, and while it has some significant bugs,they aren't unique to Vista 64. The plane has a beautiful cockpit, all the gaugeswork just fine, the plane's basic operation is fine.So, if the 727 has an issue its something new, and no reason to badmouthVista 64 :)

Could it be an activation issue? maybe try the offline activation method and see if that helps.Larry

A followup to this issue, I ended up deciding to buy the Captain 727.Much as I expected, there was no issue with installing on Vista 64,and the plane... such as it is ... works ok.However, as seems to be the case with CS, the thing LOOKS great,BUT, and that's a big butt :( the devil is in the details.The first issue I noticed is that the gauge indicating flaps does notwork, either in the VC or 2D panel, how could that get by theirtesting one wonders?I still need more flying time, and it DOES fly, to have a better listof problems, I hope they come out with a service pack for the thingat some point soon. Since I needed something that would fly on FSXthis was really the only choice and I can't say I regret buying it, butone thing is for sure, its way to expensive for a product of this quality.

A followup to this issue, I ended up deciding to buy the Captain 727.Much as I expected, there was no issue with installing on Vista 64,and the plane... such as it is ... works ok.However, as seems to be the case with CS, the thing LOOKS great,BUT, and that's a big butt :( the devil is in the details.The first issue I noticed is that the gauge indicating flaps does notwork, either in the VC or 2D panel, how could that get by theirtesting one wonders?I still need more flying time, and it DOES fly, to have a better listof problems, I hope they come out with a service pack for the thingat some point soon. Since I needed something that would fly on FSXthis was really the only choice and I can't say I regret buying it, butone thing is for sure, its way to expensive for a product of this quality.
Interesting comments and very nice, quick, mini-review!Apart from the non-functioning instrumentation, is there anything obviously wrong with the way the systems actually work? I'm not expecting Level-D here with complete hydraulics failure modelling etc.. but could I do realistic start-ups, etc..?I might get flamed for asking, but how does it compare to the DF 727 for FS2004 systems-wise?What is the overall sound environment like? Good? I've got replacement JT7D sounds for FS2004 from Turbine Sound Studios I could drop in if the engine sounds aren't up to much (they work great in the FSX version of the MD2006).The visuals speak for themselves IMHO. To me at least, they look nothing short of outstanding.Best regards,Robin.

Interesting comments and very nice, quick, mini-review!Apart from the non-functioning instrumentation, is there anything obviously wrong with the way the systems actually work? I'm not expecting Level-D here with complete hydraulics failure modelling etc.. but could I do realistic start-ups, etc..?I might get flamed for asking, but how does it compare to the DF 727 for FS2004 systems-wise?What is the overall sound environment like? Good? I've got replacement JT7D sounds for FS2004 from Turbine Sound Studios I could drop in if the engine sounds aren't up to much (they work great in the FSX version of the MD2006).The visuals speak for themselves IMHO. To me at least, they look nothing short of outstanding.Best regards,Robin.
The systems modeling is pretty good, but there are are inconsistencies in the way that the aircraft initializes. When loading a saved situation, the switch states do not always return to the condition they were in when the situation was saved. In particular, the positions of the windshield and pitot anti-ice switches - which always seem to be "on" when the aircraft is loaded. even if they were selected "off" when it was saved.The electrics work as expected, with the exception of frequency synchronization of the three engine-driven generators. There are frequency adjustment knobs that do turn when moused-over, but they do not actually do anything. This IS correctly implemented on the DF-727.The standby power knob works 90% correctly... the one exception is when the aircraft is powered only by battery - if you rotate the standby power selector fully counterclockwise when the ship's battery is on, you should get AC essential power from an inverter, but on the CS 727 you do not... the "FAIL" light remains illuminated.There is a bug in the overhead panel related to the emergency lighting switch. Even if it is set correctly (for automatic emergency lighting), the emergency light "off" indicator comes on when the seatbelt switch is turned off! A minor annoyance, but something they need to fix.Hydraulics work well, including the independent operation of the A and B systems, and the ground interconnect switch. In this regard, CS is more accurate than DF.The pressurization control panel is incomplete. CS has identified this as something which will be corrected in an upcoming service pack.Fuel panel logic appears to work perfectly. One time in flight, I accidently turned off the #2 engine fuel valve while trying to set up a crossfeed scenario, and the engine promptly flamed out. Air start procedures worked fine...Engine starting on the ground is inconsistent though - that's the best word I can use to describe it. Sometimes it works perfectly... i.e., you can toggle the start switch to "ground", wait for 20% N2, raise the fuel lever, and get a light-off. Other times the start switch does nothing, and you have to start the engines with CTL-SHFT-E. I can find no rhyme or reason to why it sometimes works, and sometimes does not.The DME displays in the cockpit are both locked to NAV 1 only. When you tune a VOR on NAV 2, you do see the NAV 2 bearing pointer on the RMI correctly track the station, but there is no whay to get a DME readout for NAV 2 - which can make it difficult when trying to use NAV 2 to track to an IAF waypoint (defined as a VOR/DME bearing/distance), while simultaneously trying to intercept a localizer tuned on NAV 1.ADF works correctly.Engine sounds are "OK" but not "outstanding". One major sound issue is related to the APU. Once the APU has been started, the APU sound continues, even after it has been shutdown. In fact, it continues even if you later exit the CS-727 and load a different aircraft. The only way to get it to shutoff is to exit FSX entirely. CS has identified this a legitimate bug to be addressed in a future service pack.The real 727 autopilot is pretty basic by modern standards, but CS seems to have implemented it pretty well. No complaints here.IMO the flight modeling is VERY good. Considerably better than DF727 (in its FS9 implementation.) The aircraft "feels" like a heavy airliner, and is a true joy to hand-fly. In my initial test flights I accidently allowed the aircraft to stall. I had throttled back to idle in a descent, began a level off, got distracted while setting up for an ILS approach, and forgot to add power. It seems that the flight model very accurately simulates a T-tail "deep stall" in this circumstance -i.e., there is NO recovery - you can't get the nose down, even with fully forward yoke - which is exactly what would happen in a real 727 when fully stalled.Graphics are breath-takingly good. both internal and external. This aircraft has the best VC I have ever seen in ANY FSX add-on, bar none. CS may have a bad rep in other ways, but I do have to hand it to them when it comes to visuals - they really know what they are doing.One very nice feature is a graphical systems control panel that allows you to independently open or close any aircraft external passenger or cargo door by clicking on it on a schematic view of the aircraft. I much prefer this to the usual method of having to use complicated multiple-keystroke combinations for door control. You can even add or remove wheel chocks and engine inlet covers using the control panel... a nice touch.I would give the aircraft a B for systems accuracy, a C- for sounds, an A+ for the flight model and an A++++ for graphics.Jim BarrettP.S. on my installation, the flap indicator DOES work correctly. Perhaps the fact that it does not work for the other user has something to do with the fact that the panel initilization on first loading the aircraft is a bit "flaky".

I have had the exact same problems as indicated by Mark. I have tryed reinstalling disabling anti-virus and firewalls as well as following their instructions for manual activation. What makes it very unusual is that this same system is running two of their other fsx planes with no problems in installation or in flying.If anyone has any suggestions, about what I could try, I would appreciate it. Barry
Not sure if you have fixed the problems yet, but when I first installed Vista 64 the first thing I did was disable UAC and when I installed fsx and any software I ALWAYS installed it as administrator. ie right click the exe. run as admin.

CS 757 works great on my Vista 64 set up, to include a working flaps position indicator. Frame rates are good in the VC (which is so nice that's where I spend all my time). I particularly like the way automated flight works -- just as expected. In my experience this is an excellent airplane. I think the sounds are great. I'm not a real 757 pilot, so I won't say how realistic they are. It does a good job of simulating a heavy aircraft, in my opinion. I don't know if it is realistic or not, but then starting up on VNAV after cruising a bit at, say 10,000 feet, there is a noticable lag between the airplane getting the engines to a higher EPR, and the eventual climb commencement. I really feel like I am in a big, heavy airplane that has to work a bit.The visuals are just outstanding. Plus you get a weird poster in the cockpit of a strange looking rabbit with the title (in Russian) Breed Rabbits! Fortunately, you can change this yourself.I was really impressed with how easy it was to program the flight computer and how confidently it handled a rather complicated approach at RW34R, Viru Viru, Santa Cruz, Bolivia. This is the second time I've flown this route recently, the first being with the Coolsky Super 80 Pro. I enjoyed both. Graphically, the 757 is better (although the Coolsky is very good) especially in the VC, where the Coolsky Super 80 can best be described as "functional." (I love the Super 80, and I like its VC, especially for the FPS. Captain Sim just does graphics better than anyone.)You get a free trial. See for yourself. My take is Captain Sim recognizes it has mature products in its 757 and 727 and wants people to take another look at the company.The only possible issues I've noticed so far is on VNAV descent the engines spool up and down a bit with a consequent jumping of the throttles that looks a little weird. Descent rate and speed are not affected, but there is just not a solid lock on EPR. I don't know if this is realistic or not. There are other ways to descend if it bothers you. It doesnt' me.The lights give you a lot of control and nice effects outside of the airplane, but inside the cockpit, as far as I can tell, it is all or nothing with the "LT OVRD" button.The right engine started as expected. I tried everything I could think of (I even resorted -- briefly -- to the manual) but I could not get the left engine to spool up so I could flip the fuel lever for a start. Finally, I just flipped it anyway, and it started. I don't know if this is going to be a recurring issue or not.I need to make more flights to comment about fuel burn.It seemed very robust. Other payware from companies everbody loves is so twitchy I dare not open a map view lest it trigger a CTD. I can do whatever I want with the CS 757 and -- on the basis of one long flight and a few messing around test runs -- CTDs are not a threat.I am extremely pleased with this airplane. Perhaps others have had issues with versions before 4.3, or have conflicts. Vista 64 is strange, but now that I have used it for FSX for awhile, I think I've learned from my mistakes and don't have the issues I did before.It is not flawless, and it is not a deep procedural sim. It is what it is: functional, easy to use and beautiful.

Well, now that some time has passed and the forums are back I figured I should add another followup. I think I was unjustifiably harsh in my first post.I believe my report of the flaps was just a case of the plane loaded in an "unclean"state, ie, something loaded before, etc etc... I have since then not seen this issue,the flaps work, and indicate correctly.Lately I've been flying this quite a bit and have been very happy with it, I think I still like the DreamFleet on FS9 the best in overall performance, but since I'dalways rather fly FSX this still is usually my choice. I would say this product iswell worth the purchase, and CS is in fact adding support updates to it and I wantto thank them for that!!Cheers,