Sign in to follow this  
Guest sobou

Help for repainting pmdg 747-400 (fs9)

Guest sobou

Hi there, can someone please posts a walkthrough tuto that explains step by step how to paint the pmdg 747-400's paintkit (for fs9)?I have photoshop cs2, dxtbmp, the gimp and photophiltre but i don't know how to do.Thank you in advance for your help.Sobou.

Guest lgvpilot1
Hi there, can someone please posts a walkthrough tuto that explains step by step how to paint the pmdg 747-400's paintkit (for fs9)?I have photoshop cs2, dxtbmp, the gimp and photophiltre but i don't know how to do.Thank you in advance for your help.Sobou.
Hi Looking at that list of tools you have I am presuming you know how to use them ,and what you require is how to use the PMDG paintkit.Now it has been quite a while since I last used it but if you take a look at this PMDG it might shed some light on the problem They mention FSX but if you have the PMDG paint kit everything will look very familiarMark

Guest sobou

Thanks for your replies, i have tools for repaint but i don't know how to paint. RegardsSobou.

Guest lgvpilot1
Thanks for your replies, i have tools for repaint but i don't know how to paint. RegardsSobou.
Okay Firstly take a look at the site Leen posted Morgans site is a perfect place to start , very clear instructions and very well written On this site HERE you can download a pdf paint walkthrough , it is for the LDS 767 but all the principles for painting are the same .This site Simmerspaintshop is a site with plenty of tutorials and tips .And this site HERE is another that will walk you through painting an aircraft.Also take a tour of some Photoshop sites to learn about the tools and how to use them .Once you understand how it all works it wont be long before you no longer have to ask for repaints :( Hope it helpsMark

I realize this thread is old but just wanted to say I wrote a paint tutorial a few months ago that covers painting in general and the PMDG paint kits. If you have the time I'm sure you'll learn a lot from it. It's written for the total beginner but I'm confident even the more advanced painters can learn allot as well.I wrote it entirely in forum code (BBC) so it has a web look and feel but is low on bandwidth :)here it is.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Sorry Dan I missed this one.Excellent tutorial.Added it to the tutorial part of the Repaint FAQ`s.Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hi Leen,Glad you liked it. I looked through the forum but couldn't find it. I looked at the FAQ here, but also didn't see it. If you could steer me toward it, it would be helpful so I can provide that link to others in other forums, thanks.post edited by Leen I only removed the quote.Please use the Add Reply button when answering the post above ( not the reply+ button)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I looked at the FAQ here[/unquote]Go there again and have a better look.Question and aswer nr 3 = Tutorials about repaintingLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Thanks Leen, But there appears to be a big problem... There have been things removed from it as well as it has been taken from where I put it. It wasn't meant to be removed from the PMDG site. If it can only exist on one then I say PMDG's site since I spent 2 months doing it for all the questions they/we get there.

Dan Prunier

It wasn't meant to be removed from the PMDG site (you wrote)????Nobody removed it actually!!It`s still at the PMDG General Forum. ( where it was present at the moment I saw it for the first time.) The only thing I did was copying the link to your tutorial ,you gave on this topic (wich still leads to the tutorial) ,to the file Tutorial.html wich is actually hosted on my own website.The tutorial itself was not touched nor moved by me.As I said, it`s still on the PMDG General Forum where it has always been ( including many reactions from other members )Nothing changed at all.LeenPSMIND !!!!!A post on a forum wich is not pinned will drop down .Initially present on page 1 it wil go to page 2 , page 3, and so on.It might be an idea to ask the moderator of the PMDG forum to make your post a pinned one.As the tutorial was not posted as a pinned and closed one it generated a long discussion on the topic wich actually makes it a bit to large to make it a pinned post without cleaning it up first.This problem is seen often at AVSIM.( and many other forums )Something wich starts as a tutorial ends in an endless discussion wich degrades the value of the tutorial itself.I am not saying the additional posts are worthless.Placing a tutorial is a good thing to do.Discussing this tutorial at the same topic is not usefull.The discussion should be on another topic and if neccesary lead to corrections and/or additions to the tutorial.The tutorial should be just the tutorial.

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Thanks Leen, It has been a sticky since January 2010 actually. Weird how not until yesterday did it become unpinned.I am quite forum knowledgable Leen and am aware of how posts drop etc. But thanks for the heads up. I actually moderate a couple forums (PC hardware/software based not sim or game related). I strongly disagree with not having users the ability to comment and how in anyway it could lead to confusion of any kind. This way other users can answer others questions. The other reasoning was to get user feedback. Corrections and any requests for the final PDF doc to be hosted by PMDG.I am waiting on an answer from someone at PMDG on this at the moment, but it was still pinned when I prior to my post here. It wasn't until after this to where it is no longer pinned and yes it was altered. I had a disclaimer and copyright at the bottom, both were removed. I understand about the need to shorten things up for a forum post since after all, I wrote it and had to make it fit. The only issue I had was I had to remove a few smiley faces to accomodate the rules.I too do web design as a hobby and have for several companies. I know HTML, CSS and Flash as you can see in a site I made for fun here.I could have quite easily posted this as my own web site, but doing it as a complete forum post was (in my opinion) quite genius, being that it was an insane amount of extra work but could relate more to the community in several ways not too mention show others just what they could do with nothing more than forum code. In short, I could have done 3 proffesional and complex sites in Flash in the time it took to do it in BBC, but the biggest thing was to say to others, I'm no different from you.Anywho, it is also meant for the beginner (Total beginner) with 0 experience with paints and 0 experience with Photoshop. I have had 100's of emails from people that never used either say how easy it was, so I'm not quite sure how it's more difficult than the other. Especially since I rewrote mine to fully accomodate the total beginner, complete with exercise files. Rather than just rant about things people need to know, I literaly take them by the hand and lay it out step by step as a follow along (The BEST type of education in my opinion).It's also 99% about how to use Photoshop as well, so any paint kit can be used not just PMDG. I also rewrote it a third time as well as bought FS9 (that I never had prior) as well as some PMDG addons just so I could write it for the FS9'ers as well. No tutorial to my knowledge has evern been written to this depth covering every possible approach, which of course is what lead me to do it.So I don't know who changed it but it infact was changed. If not by yourself by someone else at AVSIM. I have always been a major contributor. Mostly in time and effort answering questions and small part in tutorials in comparison. I have donated money as well as gotten others to donate via the tutorial. But seeing that someone modified it to me is a HUGE insult and they had no right to do so. 0 right without at least having the descency to contact me or let me know in some way. Granted this is not my forum, I am the same as anyone else, but my outlook has changed 100% and doubt I will ever waste my time again.Seriously, put yourself in my shoes (or any other moderator or admin reading this). How would you feel if as much as one word was removed from such a labor of love?

Dan Prunier

Hi Dan,This all is very weird.For me its impossible to see what has been removed from your tutorial.The only thing I did is mention it in the Repaint FAQ`s. and placed the same link you gave on this post.Clicking that links opens the tutorial as it should.The tutorial itself I did not touch.I never make changes in work others made.AND I am not active as moderator on the PMDG department , till your post about your tutorial I even had not been there ever.Why your post was not pinned anymore I have no idea.You are not the only one suffering weird problems, a week ago my complete Repaint FAQ`s had diappeared.It had something to do with settings in the new forum-structure.The matter was solved within minutes, I simply used my back-up and restored the post.Being used to work with "intenet-things" yourself its more than logic you always make back-ups as well, especiallywhen the work involves countless hours of intense labour.Forgive me for saying I really think this discussion costs more time than restoring the tutorial would.Lets keep it simple.Use your back-up, restore the tutorial and I`ll get your tutorial pinned again.Best regardsLeen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Thanks Leen,Yes I have a back up (several actually), but I'm still waiting for an answer from someone at PMDG. It is possible, that it is a coincidence, it would be a rare one, but still possible none the less. PMDG are about to release two new addons, and since this will be the first in a couple years it is possible that they are freeing up space by killing some sticky posts to make room for ones they'll need for these upcoming releases. It's not like them to do it without at least posting a comment on it or sending me a PM though. Either way though, I am still waiting for them to get back to me or answer my post. As for what changed in the tutorial it was the very last paragraph that got removed. If this got removed by them, again I would think they would have told me why or at least that it happened but maybe they had a reason, that I won't know until they respond.Two things I know and as weird as they are, are that the post was stickied when I got the link (that's how I found it) and the paragraph was there at least until last week when I showed my sister.Thanks for the offer to get it re-stickied but if they undid it themselves for a reason then they'll be letting me know, I also don't want to lose the posts/replies since they too have some good info for those using CS4 and later.Hopefully someone will have an answer soon and this will all be one huge coincidence.

Dan Prunier

Hi Dan,I am very happy to hear you`ve got a back-up.Making your post a sticky one again ,does not mean the comments to be removed.When I wrote , the Tutorial should be just the tutorial without the comments , I just expressed my personal opnion.Personally I would like to see the Tutorial as a stand alone topic and have the discuss about it on a separate Tutorial dicuss-topic ( pinned under it).Thats just my point of view , thats the way I would do it WHEN IT WAS MY TUTORIAL (wich it is`nt and I would be proud of it, if it was)As I did not "unstick" it I think it might be better to ask the PMDG team why they eventually did.Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints