Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

PDF Manuals

Hello FolksOne of my aircraft PDF manuals is produced in GREY instead of black. Makes it VERY hard to read in artificial light.Anyone know if it's possible to change the text to black?Thanks

Hello FolksOne of my aircraft PDF manuals is produced in GREY instead of black. Makes it VERY hard to read in artificial light.Anyone know if it's possible to change the text to black?Thanks
Have you tried the Adobe forums?

Have you tried the Adobe forums?
Mmmm..... Why do think i'm asking here? When's the last time you tried to use the Adobe forums - they're a nightmare.My question still stands pleaseThanks

Mmmm..... Why do think i'm asking here? When's the last time you tried to use the Adobe forums - they're a nightmare.My question still stands pleaseThanks
Hi Phil (Dougal)have you a link to the manual? if so I'll download it and see if I can alter it for you.Les

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

Guest jshyluk
There are a number of things you can try. If you are using Adobe Reader (the freeware version), go into:EDIT/PREFERNECES (or CTRL-K).Find ACCESSIBILITY.Check ON for "Replace Document Colours"From there, it's your call. Use the Custom Colours to change the colours to anything you like, otherwise just use the High Contrast option and pick a scheme that's close to your heart. If that fails, you can select the entire thing, copy it into the clipboard, and paste it into a word-processing program, then change the colours if needed to suit your style.Lastly and worstly, you can just find the SELECT tool (TOOLS/BASIC), and just select everything. The highlight should create a readable white script on a dark background. It's not easy on the eyes, but at least you should be able to read it. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Many thanks for such positive and helpful posts guys. Too late to try just now (UK time & on the laptop at mo), but will do so tomorrow.Thanks

Guest Tingoose

Sounds like one of the Flight 1 pdf manuals. As far as I can remember they do this deliberately so that if you print it out, it uses less ink!

Sounds like one of the Flight 1 pdf manuals. As far as I can remember they do this deliberately so that if you print it out, it uses less ink!
Quite right, it's the ATR72-500 manual.It's crazy because, as i now discover, it's a 'locked' PDF file, meaning nothing can be done. Not even copy & paste.Most bizarre.

It's a locked PDF file (but not everything is locked), which means it was probably created with the full version of Adobe Acrobat or from the PDF write options in something like Adobe InDesign or Quark XPress (by the way, I sometimes work for Adobe, and you're right, their website and forum is not as helpful as it could be). Since 'document rights' are not enabled on the PDF, your tool options will be limited if you are using the free 'reader' version of Acrobat and in fact would also be somewhat limited in the full version too, but there are some things you can do...Easiest thing you can try is the accessibility option, which is to view the page in high contrast, this is aimed at people with impaired vision, but is useful for things like this. To do that, select the 'preferences' from the 'edit' menu, choose 'accessibility' and 'replace document colours'. This puts the document in high contrast with a few options as to what colours you can choose (by default white text on a black background).One novel thing you could also try is to go to the 'view' menu on the most recent versions of Acrobat Reader and select the very last option, which is 'read out loud'. This will, as you might expect, read the document out to you in whatever voice pack you have installed on your computer (probably Microsoft Mike). The best way to use that is to then go to the 'tools' menu and down to the 'select and zoom' option and choose the 'select tool'. Now you should be able to click on any text you like and it will be read out loud for you. This function is really aimed at people with impaired vision, but it can be useful if the text is tricky to see because of its colour, as in this case. Using this 'select' method is better than having Acrobat read the entire page for you, because it's a pain in the &@($* when it reads everything on the page automatically, including disclaimers and other stuff you aren't hugely interested in.There's a chance this might not read everything though, depending on how sophisticated a job Flight 1 did on the PDF file. In theory, if it was created from something such as InDesign or Quark XPress, it should be correctly configured with all of the necessary access tags required for it to be read aloud in a logical order if you want it to read all the page, but in order to function correctly when doing that, where images and screengrabs are placed into a PDF, they have to be redesignated with alternate text, otherwise Acrobat will read out the file name of the placed image, rather than a description of what the image is. I suspect that, since the Flight 1 ATR manual is 481 pages long, they probably haven't gone to that trouble!Lastly, you can select the text via the edit menu, and copy and paste it into Word or something like that and modify it there, but doing that with nearly 500 pages is a pain in the &@($*. Note that you might need to go to the 'tools' menu and 'customize toolbars' to see some of the tools necessary for selecting things. There is another way around things too, which is to open the PDF in Photoshop, doing this will bring up a dialogue box asking you which page you want to open (one at a time sadly). When opened into Photoshop, the page is effectively an image, which you can of course recolour and tweek the contrast on etc. This might be useful if there is a particular page you want a print off in high contrast, but unless you create a script, action, or batch file, you'll be doing each page one at a time, so it's probably not an ideal solution unless there's a specific page you are particularly interested in.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thank you very much for all your help.Allas, I think must give up :(I've tried all the above with no luck. The manual methods suggested are just too difficult.

Hi Phil (Dougal)have you a link to the manual? if so I'll download it and see if I can alter it for you.Les
The offer is still open Dougal.

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

The offer is still open Dougal.
OK Thanks. It's a very large PDF. I can't link to here without being in breach of copyright.See your PMsTa

OK Thanks. It's a very large PDF. I can't link to here without being in breach of copyright.See your PMsTa
Hi DougHave you tried with Foxit Reader instead of Adobe? You can the colors in "edit", "preferences".See if that helps.Cheers.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Hi DougHave you tried with Foxit Reader instead of Adobe? You can the colors in "edit", "preferences".See if that helps.Cheers.
OK thanks, will find it & try it.