Sign in to follow this  
Guest evanxmcr

What would you do

Guest evanxmcr

your in an airbus a320 aproaching runway 33r of torontos pearson international. your to close too low and too slow to power up and go around. a fueling truck pulls onto the runway. what do you doi jammed full rudder back then the other way to land on an unused taxiway, then running close to the end of the taxi way i put full speed break and turned the plane out of the way of oncoming buildings with the rudder again when it was slow enough.I was wondering if there is a better procedure for this senario or if what i did was right?

your in an airbus a320 aproaching runway 33r of torontos pearson international. your to close too low and too slow to power up and go around. a fueling truck pulls onto the runway. what do you do
Where on the runway is the truck? Right near the threshold/touchdown area, or down the runway? Crossing or driving down the centerline?My thought would be if you are too close, too low, and too slow to power up and go around, you would also be unable to hop to the other runway. If you had enough energy to do that, you should have enough speed to do some safer maneuvering. Presuming the truck is crossing near the touchdown area, I'd jam the throttles, use what little forward speed I had to maintain juuust enough height over the truck and attempt to "bunnyhop" it, and hope the extra thrust is enough to cushion the landing blow should the plane stall out as it goes over the vehicle, and possibly continue with a go-around to calm the nerves of the pilot. I wouldn't hop to the other runway at such a low energy state - turning like that on final is an invitation for disaster.

Guest evanxmcr

oh ok ps it was a little past the landing thresholdand it wasnt to a runway but a taxiway that ran paralell right beside it.but thanks for the idea if it ever comes up again i will try it

There are two standard procedures you can do in such circumstances:The first is to calmly look across at the co-pilot and say: 'okay, you have control'The other is to perform the '******* Maneuver', which is something all pilots should be familiar with. That's where you let go of all the controls and say: 'okay *******, you have control'Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest evanxmcr

lol thats good ;) i think im gonna try landing a plane like that one time :D

I heard this one from my mother, and I'm pretty sure it is true: She has a friend who is a pilot for Emirates, and this guy went back into the cabin for some reason or other, leaving the other pilot at the controls. He comes back to the cockpit a minute or so later and discovers the aircraft is flying along on autopilot with no pilot in the seat (think it was a triple seven if I recall correctly). After a few puzzled seconds he finds the other pilot on a prayer mat in the crew rest area doing his daily prayers!Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

One is never too low and/or slow to go around.A go around can be performed right up to the selection of reverse thrust ... and to be honest, there's nothing physically stopping you after then.So to answer your question, go around.Hope this helps,Ian