Sign in to follow this  
MikeAdamo

Do ATI Radeon users still get "Bluries"

Hi to all. At present I have the "bluries" beat by using Anndrew Tingle's great tweaking guide. (Thanks Andrew).For my next computer I was thinking maybe a Radeon 9700 pro. Are there any users out there who are using this card and could you tell me please if ATI have solved the dreaded "blurries" in FS2002.My present card is a GF3 8500.Cheers,Clive Marriott, Sydney.BTW. I have just uploaded Version 2 of Sydney International yssyv2.zip.

hello Clive,unfortunately, for me anyway, the 9700 did not get rid of the blurries. they fill 98% of the screen 100% of the time unless i'm in spot view looking straight down from above the plane. and this is with a p43.06 system. disappointing i know. sorry for the bad news. happy flyin, fm

Thanks FM, just what I didn't want to hear.Thanks for the reply mate.Clive.

Hi Ausie,I've got a Dell 8250 with the Radeon 9700TX and am EXTREMELY happy with the image quality I've been getting. If you beat the blurries using Andrew's tweaking guide, you can tweak the Radeon to give you the same, if not a little bit better image quality. I've read all the "Help with my Radeon" posts both here and over at Flightsim.com and the one thing I noticed is that many of the users who needed help were working with a "stock" (non-tweaked) card and unfortunately with the Radeon, you NEED to get a tweaker to access the higher function of the card. Now, not to say that the Radeon is the only piece of the puzzle here. FS2K2 needs to be adjusted as well. Again, if you refer to Andrew's tweaking guide, the "TERRAIN" section does have an impact on the "blurries" so you need to work it from both angles. One thing I would suggest is to set your expectations early on. Don't expect to get crystal clear graphics 100+ nm's around aircraft 100% of the time and you won't be disappointed :-) I took a quick screen shot to show an example of the image quality I'm getting now. I'm sure I could squeek out a couple more feet of clear ground textures but, I'm happy with the way things are running now so I'll stop tweaking, and start flying.To sum it up, I love my Radeon and this is my second ATI card. I had the "original" Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO and had great results with it as well. Copy this link and add WWW. members.shaw.ca/madamo/quickshot.jpg

Hi,A P4 3.06 and Raedon 9700 and you have dynamic blurries 100% of the time on 98% of the screen?Thats not a video card problem. Thats not a CPU problem either, for that matter. Thats a configuration problem. Without seeing your system, there's no specific intelligent advice I can give you to help clear it up, but you most certainly have something misconfigured or conflicting on that machine. Maybe someone else can provide specific help to get it straightened out.A little primer might be in order, just so this topic isn't confused:There are two kinds of blurries: video card/FS2002.cfg related and CPU related. The video card/FS2002.cfg related is *not* dynamic blurries: its a LOD and Anisotropic filtering issue, as well as mip setting in the .cfg file. Boosting your Aniso and lowering your LOD setting as well as tweaking the FS2002.cfg file fixes this and provides a crystal clear display (or as much of one as you desire) on any recent video card: that includes everything from the Ti and 9500 line on up.The second kind is a CPU issue when it comes to FS... Because of the way its coded, it doesn't update the closest mip maps that make up the surrounding terrain fast enough when CPU resources are spread thin - and theres no way to tweak the cfg to fix it (although you can minimize it by limiting your framerate setting and lowering scenery details, etc). Any high end machine will *not* have this problem in the vast majority of scenery cases: only extremely detailed scenery (lots of textures, extreme mesh, lots of buildings, etc) in conjunction with detailed AI and aircraft will cause this. Again, the vast majority of the time a current high end machine like yours will never see dynamic blurries with FS2002.As for the 9700 in particular: its LOD and Anisotropic filtering quality and speed is the best you can buy today. As long as you pair it with a good CPU and provide it settings that are needed, you'll rarely see blurries in FS - of either variety.Good luck on tracking down your system problem,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

... and NO blurries. I was amazed when I first loaded FS on this machine; everything is so clear, colors great, smooth. I'm really happy with the 9700 Pro.Of course this system replaced a K7/700 and Voodoo 5Jeff

Guest Coneman

The only time I get the blurries is the beginning of a replay when the terrain isn't a gradual build, and then it quickly goes away. My fps slider is locked at 20. Radeon 9500 Pro.Todd

Todd,I have a 9500 pro on order.Is there anything special I need to do to make it work properly?I have p4-2.4 ghz.Thanks for any suggestions.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Guest Coneman

Boy Ron, I'm a techno-idiot and I got it to work fine right out of the box. I did update the SiS drivers on the mobo like it said to, and didn't have problems. Just follow the install instructions. Best of luck. Oh, I did read somewhere to move any PCI cards in slots farther away from the ATI card, to give it more cooling.Todd

Thanks Mike,& to all other who have responded. Mike, I've looked at your screen shot and it seems to show about what I am getting myself with my current setup. If one still as to "tweak"the Radeon I guess it comes down to a personal choice between it and the G-Force cards.Clive,(Ausie)

No blurries here, unless of course there is low level haze. I would be happy to send you some screen shots taken in native 1600 x 1200 x 32 x 16xAF x 4xAA if you would like. The 9700 Pro is an awesome and complete product. Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Where can I find Andrew Tingle's tweaking guide. I just got a new system with the 9700 pro and would like to know how to tweak my card. Thanks

hi Elrond,maybe not dynamic blurries but Definately Not the "Best of the Best" looking textures. what i mean is (concerning the terrain textures only) if you rate the Terrain Texture Quality as 1,2,3,4,(1 being the Best)the majority of the screen is filled with 2,3,4's. when the 1's do show up they're not there for very long. they're very quickly replaced with 2,3,4's. this puzzles me as well. when i first got the 9700 for performance reasons i started off using 4x AF. the lousy textures irritated me. so i decided to give the higher AF settings a try. i first went to 8x then to 16x with no better looking textures at 16x than at 4x. as for the FS LOD config. tweaks i tried them with the old ti4600 with no change in the textures so i figured i'd get the same results with the 9700. the system is as stable as i could ask for. what exactly are you referring to when you mentioned a "configuration" problem? an OS or BIOS prob.? or a video card config. prob? needless to say i'm not that impressed with the performance of this new system as compared to the previous p4 1.5 system. even with the 9700. any suggestions would be much appreciated. btw, in FS FPS slider is locked at 25, ALL boxes are checked. and, ALL sliders maxxed (except visibility-set at 60 mi. and water detail-set to none). video card settings are AA-4x, Texture and Mip-Map sliders set to Quality, V-sync set to App. Preference, TruForm set to off, AGP=4x, Fast Writes=On system specs. belowP4 3.06Asus P4T-533C mobo (bios ver. 1010)768MB PC1066 RDRAMWD 80gb HDDATI 9700ProSB Audigy2USR 56k modemWinXP Pro SP1DX9.0alatest Intel chipset drivers and Intel App. Accel.using most of Blkviper's WinXP tweaksusing latest drivers for the 9700 and Audigy2 happy flyin, fm

Andrew Tingle's Tweak guide.I got it sometime ago right here at avsim.It is bgttv1.zipJust do a search.If you have trouble, email me and I'll sent it to you.clivem@dragon.net.auHope this helps, whoever you are.

Guest Bigshot

I have zero blurries even at mach 1+ on the deck. I can fly an f16 or whatever at 800 knots at 200 feet for as long as I want with no blurries from any view. The only way blurries appear is if I zoom in real tight on an outside view.PIV 2.53 512mb PC1066 with an ATI9700 Pro and everything maxed out.