Sign in to follow this  
Guest c12@fft

VISTA upgrade

Different people have different opinions, but I personally do not think that Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit is "crap".

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest ziporama

I have run into few issues with Vista 64 early on, and this experience is no different than my experience when i moved from Windows 2000 to Windows XP - how quickly we forget that XP had its moments early on too. All my vista issues that impacted my FSX experience are solved, but here they are:- User Access Control or UAC - a feature that makes everything secure, thus very inconvenient, and primarily avoids the novice user shooting his/herself in the foot. UAC is now off in my case.- video drivers, which have little to do with MS and largely the main chipset vendors out there, which early on, redefined "crap". Fixed now for at least a year.- file transfers, would slow down for no reason. Fixed in SP1.- lack of 64 bit controller drivers early on, although I have to say that CH Products released their new drivers within a few months Vista came out officially.I'd venture to say the largest problem is not the switch from XP to Vista, but the switch from 32 bit drivers to 64 bit drivers, and a tigher security model in the operating system's kernel that had many vendors having to rewrite their code. Some of the solutions Vista has provided me with:- No more OOM (64 bit)- 30% higher FPS than on the same hardware running XP 32, could be memory, could be luck, not sure - but I'll take it :)- even higher perf with DX10 although the DX10 engine in FSX has a couple of major bugs in it.I'm very pleased, and well worth the upgrade

Guest markcasp

I have new new system...DELL XPS430, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.5 - 6 GB RAM, ATI 4850 with 512, and window vista 64 bit OS. FSX runs great...I have the majority of my sliders to the right. Heres the problem...I still have FS9 installed on this system...ALL my payware programs will not install...they can not handle the 64 bit OS. I just purchase CS727-100 for FSX, and it will not install because of the 64 bit...it runs great in my old machine windows XP. What I was considering was to replace Vista 64 with Vista 32 so I can get all my favorita payware flying again on FS9 and FSX.Any opionions....greatly appreciatedThanks......Mark

What I was considering was to replace Vista 64 with Vista 32 so I can get all my favorita payware flying again on FS9 and FSX.Any opionions....greatly appreciated
Do a dual boot - one V64 for FSX and one V32 for FS2004. This is the only solution that will come to my mind

I have run into few issues with Vista 64 early on, and this experience is no different than my experience when i moved from Windows 2000 to Windows XP - how quickly we forget that XP had its moments early on too. All my vista issues that impacted my FSX experience are solved, but here they are:- User Access Control or UAC - a feature that makes everything secure, thus very inconvenient, and primarily avoids the novice user shooting his/herself in the foot. UAC is now off in my case.- video drivers, which have little to do with MS and largely the main chipset vendors out there, which early on, redefined "crap". Fixed now for at least a year.- file transfers, would slow down for no reason. Fixed in SP1.- lack of 64 bit controller drivers early on, although I have to say that CH Products released their new drivers within a few months Vista came out officially.I'd venture to say the largest problem is not the switch from XP to Vista, but the switch from 32 bit drivers to 64 bit drivers, and a tigher security model in the operating system's kernel that had many vendors having to rewrite their code.Some of the solutions Vista has provided me with:- No more OOM (64 bit)- 30% higher FPS than on the same hardware running XP 32, could be memory, could be luck, not sure - but I'll take it :)- even higher perf with DX10 although the DX10 engine in FSX has a couple of major bugs in it.I'm very pleased, and well worth the upgrade
An excellent, well balanced, and well written post. I agree wholeheartedly.Microsoft didn't create a crap OS. The hardware vendors and software writers are the ones who probably deserve the heat. Most of the negativity towards Vista stems from the fact that, despite the time they were allocated before Vista's release, the hardware vendors and software writers were slow to provide driver support and software updates for the OS for its release. This caused many users (including so called "IT experts" who write magazine reviews etc) to have some negative experiences with Vista. Which, in turn, lead to the OS receiving some bad press. Press that even now it is struggling to shrug off as many misinformed users, many of whom probably haven't even used Vista to any great extent, continue to "spread the word", chinese whisper style. Was it really any different when XP was released?In short, if your machine is up to spec, if your hardware has Vista driver support, if you understand the reasoning behind things like User Account Control (UAC) and its purpose, and you wish to enjoy the many other benefits that Vista has to offer over XP (some examples quoted by ziporama's post above), then Vista will work for you.I run Vista 32 Ultimate at home and have no issues with it whatsoever. It runs FSX fine. I am very pleased.

Regards,

Freddy

Good post, Freddy! I totally agree.Peter Sydney Australia

Guest Se7en
In all honesty,I would say no,Vista is crap anyway and to switch to a 64bit version is not recommended and I work in IT Support and I have vista on my laptop and will be switching back to xp.Vista is crap.Save your money,invest in a better graphics card or ram or motherboard or cpu instead of that.Fullstop.
LOLI've been flirting between XP 32 SP3 and Vista 64 SP1 for a while now, have watched Vista 64 mellow and mature as an OS during this phase, can honestly say hand on heart I'll not ever install XP for an FSX PC ever again, have absolutely zero issues with Vista 64 with FSX now, its a no brainer.I honestly wonder about some of these so called IT Support Guys that slam Vista out of hand?

LOLI honestly wonder about some of these so called IT Support Guys that slam Vista out of hand?
It's called resistance to change. They do not and/or do not want to understand the Vista OS so its easier to fear and/or spread fear regarding the OS.

I honestly wonder about some of these so called IT Support Guys that slam Vista out of hand?
It's easier to look impressive to the masses when you slag something off.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have Vista 32 on my desktop and and Vista 64 on my laptop. After a year and a half, I am very satisfied and do not wish to go back to any previous OS.

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Guest rdg

HI,I just upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64. I am very pleased with the results. I am running much smoother than XP. I have done nothing as of yet for OS optimization, i.e. no services stopped, no fixed paging file etc, and FSX is running just fine.I do have a nice system - qx9650, GTX 285, 8 gig pc8500 (1066). I am in the process of OC right now. It is very stable so far, and again, it is smoother than my XP setup. I primarily moved because of more addressible ram. I have no interest in the OS goodies whatsoever. I have very happy with the OS. There are always things in an OS that can be nitpicked, but my only complaint is the UAC. I would like to disable but will wait until I completely understand the consequences before doing so. I have another computer which is used for daily business and internet access etc, and this system is just for FSX. I guess if I had all my applications, and used it for internet access, email and everything in between, I may have somewhat of a different opinion, but for gaming it has proven to be a winner.RegardsBob G

Hello. I tried a search on here for 64 bit upgrades from the VISTA 32 bit OS, and was returned with an error.So, my question is, is it worth the effort to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit VISTA OS for FSX? I have a stock Q6600 CPU in a MSI P7N Platinum SLI mobo. I also have 4MB of DDr2-800 RAM, and a GeForce 8800GT card. I operate with 2 monitors. I have tried to OC the CPU but with no luck. So I have been using the onboard MSI over clock tool.Would I greatly benefit from upgrading to a 64 bit VISTA OS?Thank you for the help and direction...BillBill.I just went back to XP 64 bit from Vista Ultimate 32 bit and should never have switched. As far as upgrading your graphics card I'd stay with the 8800 GT. I'm running a 7950GT and am happy with it. I wish I could find an 8800GT ! You might consider upgrading your processor instead.Craig