Sign in to follow this  
heightsmite

FS9 freeze when changing STAR

EDIT: Darn, shoulda mentioned MD-11 in the topicAnyone else see this? Twice on recent arrivals, after checking the destination weather, there were changes in surface winds which required that I change the arrival runway, which I had initially selected earlier while still enroute. In one case, the arrival was KJFK; the other was KEWR. I opened the FMS/MCDU(?), went to route, selected the arrival and went to the STAR page. I tried deselecting/deleting the arrival runway, but was "not allowed." When I tried to select the appropriate runway, the entire program simply froze. Sound kept playing, and the mouse cursor functioned, but the thing was otherwise locked. Couldn't even get to the desktop via the Windows button. Control-Alt-Delete also failed. Had to hit the belly-button in both instances.This is WinXP, SP3, FS9.1. I updated Navigraph to 902. Also have Active Sky running. ASA leads to other problems, usually CTD's; both freezes occurred with an early version of Active Sky, and only when I tried changing the arrival runway. I'm thinking this could be a combination of things, from a FMS-related bug to AS & Navigraph issues.Any thoughts?Dave Skuback

Dave Skuback - KBLM

'Cause down the shore everything's all right

Even a wrong button push shouldn't lock her up. But the correct technique does help.To change STAR try this: Go to last fix in route at location where STAR starts and select LAT REV from that position, select STAR then select new STAR (don't delete selection). If you picked the right location, the new STAR will replace the old one.To change APPR try this: Go to last fix in STAR before first fix of approach, LAT REV from that positon, select STAR then select new APPROACH (don't delete selection). If you picked the right location the STAR is unchanged and you have a new approach.If you are using a STAR that is customized to connect to the approach, then use the above steps for change STAR.Basically, whatever you select from the SID or STAR lists are pasted to the flight plan, which then may need editing after the paste, so the only deleting is done in the flight plan. These SID STAR lists are not a part of the flight plan (that is why you don't delete selections), you are just selecting what you want pasted to the flight plan.Hope this helps

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest wazzawazza73

I've had this once, but at FAJS when entering the route. Same symptons. Hadnt really done anything, but when I entered FAJS/FYWH into the route window, i got the frozen screen with sound and mouse. Hmmm.Greg Wintle

Even a wrong button push shouldn't lock her up. But the correct technique does help.To change STAR try this: Go to last fix in route at location where STAR starts and select LAT REV from that position, select STAR then select new STAR (don't delete selection). If you picked the right location, the new STAR will replace the old one.To change APPR try this: Go to last fix in STAR before first fix of approach, LAT REV from that positon, select STAR then select new APPROACH (don't delete selection). If you picked the right location the STAR is unchanged and you have a new approach.If you are using a STAR that is customized to connect to the approach, then use the above steps for change STAR.Basically, whatever you select from the SID or STAR lists are pasted to the flight plan, which then may need editing after the paste, so the only deleting is done in the flight plan. These SID STAR lists are not a part of the flight plan (that is why you don't delete selections), you are just selecting what you want pasted to the flight plan.Hope this helps
Dan, thanks for responding.Since the STAR would have been unchanged, I think, on the route & approach I was flying, I'd guess that changing the APPR as you suggested is what I have to try; I definitely didn't do it that way before.My question now is, is that an expected behavior, even if incorrect? A flight/application freeze is kind of harsh punishment, even if the action was stupid. :( If it is unexpected, do you know if this might be addressed by a future patch?

Dave Skuback - KBLM

'Cause down the shore everything's all right

I agree, and they try to eliminate lockups due to unexpected user input (as any software should). In this case, however, I didn't see a lockup when I tried to follow the steps that you said preceeded the failure. Maybe a step by step instruction would help (no screen shots are required but let us know the condition you are in when you start the steps).

Dan Downs KCRP