Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

Do you remember the BD-5 "smallest jet"

Do you remember the BD-5, the worlds smallest jet? Have you ever actually see this airplane? Check out this video! I do remember seeing it in the James Bond movie.

Enjoy,Jim

Do you remember the BD-5, the worlds smallest jet? Have you ever actually see this airplane? Check out this video! I do remember seeing it in the James Bond movie.
Enjoy,Jim
I saw something very similar about 7-8 years ago, parked at the Evanston,WY, strip, Was told is belonged to a commercial pilot who was flying to some sort of rendez-vous up North.

There was actually a flight simulator based around that thing, I did have it (think it might have been on the Commodore 64), but cannot remember the name of the sim.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Go back a bit farther in time than that.I remember the BD1 at least on the drawing board. I have no idea what BD2-4 were or what happened to them. Of course, by the time it reached production by if I remember correctly under the name of "American Aviation" which was again if I remember correctly bought out by "Aero Commander", it was a totally differet animal (with a totally different price). The BD5 and possibly other models were avialable as home built kits. The story on Mr. Bede was interesting itself. If this old memory is correct, he resigned from Beechcraft with dreams of building the BD1 as the bird that would be in everybodies nest (garage) at a price similar to an automobile. Options were projected from a 65HP model with no electrical system to a 108HP model with basic avionics and an electrical system. Don't remember the price projection, but I am sure it was well below $10,000 for both models. A low wing two place aircraft that might remind one a little bit of an Ercoupe (or did me anyway).Respectfully:RTH

The BD-5 was almost successful. It was one of the early 'kit' planes in the 70's, and quite a few were built. I think it died because of difficulties getting engines. That is also how the jet version came to be iirc. There are still prop versions around, but I think there were only a few jets ever made. The Coors's "Silver Bullet" was an airshow regular for a period of time.