Sign in to follow this  
ofentress

Tutorial end result problem

I've flown the tutorial about half a dozen times now, including the newly updated version and still cannot getting the autoland to work correctly. The flight operates properly all the way to the runway 14 localiser capture, but then veers away from the runway. In other words, things are perfect until halfway down page 29 of the tutorial. At that point altitude keeps decreasing but the aircraft does not follow a path to the runway. I'm at a loss. I hope that someone has had this problem and learned how to have things come out right.I could sure use some help on this little problem. Otherwise, a great plane and loads of fun to fly.Jack Fentress

How dumb could I be? I forgot to mention that I'm writing about the MD 11 for FS XJack Fentress

Jack,this might be a silly question but do you see 'LOC' indicated on the FMA?A couple of screenshots taken at the time when things start to go wrong would certainly help.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Jack,this might be a silly question but do you see 'LOC' indicated on the FMA?A couple of screenshots taken at the time when things start to go wrong would certainly help.Regards,Markus
Markus.....Not a silly question at all. Yes, I did see the LOC on the FMA as well as the Land Armed. I'm not sure how to provide screenshots since I've never done that. What I'll do is to re-fly the tutorial and when I get to that point again hopefully I'll have figured out how to add screen shots. Live and learn as we say.Jack

Markus.........One other thing. The Dual Land indication never showed up. Could that be the point at which things start to go wrong?Jack

Markus.........One other thing. The Dual Land indication never showed up. Could that be the point at which things start to go wrong?Jack
Hi!Have you checked that you got the ILS freq in NAV page on the MCDU?Maybe you got to empty it after your dep. from Heathrow?/ Leffe

Jack I believe if you press key V in fsx it will save a screenshot to the fsx folder in My Documents - hope this is a help.Clear the ils entry in fms after the climb through 10k - if it's still in there it'll cause problems later.Is the ils showing on the PFD?Also watch your speed on approach as you can't use speedbrakes if flaps are deployed so make sure to be slowed down before dropping them.28 on the turn, then landing gear, click autoland, set autobrake, on loc capture flaps 35, arm speedbrake, (green box showing) - she'll float down nicely.Reverse thrust (F2) on runway, wait till speed drops off then key Z twice to disengage the autopilot.Bit abbreviated I know to the rest but it does help I hope.John Ellison

Hi!Have you checked that you got the ILS freq in NAV page on the MCDU?Maybe you got to empty it after your dep. from Heathrow?/ Leffe
Leffe......Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did remove the various frequencies as indicated on page 23 of the tutorial so that doen't seem to be the proble.Jack
Jack I believe if you press key V in fsx it will save a screenshot to the fsx folder in My Documents - hope this is a help.Clear the ils entry in fms after the climb through 10k - if it's still in there it'll cause problems later.Is the ils showing on the PFD?Also watch your speed on approach as you can't use speedbrakes if flaps are deployed so make sure to be slowed down before dropping them.28 on the turn, then landing gear, click autoland, set autobrake, on loc capture flaps 35, arm speedbrake, (green box showing) - she'll float down nicely.Reverse thrust (F2) on runway, wait till speed drops off then key Z twice to disengage the autopilot.Bit abbreviated I know to the rest but it does help I hope.John Ellison
John........Thank you for responding. You were right. The V key did capture the pics. The problem is that the attachment system would not let me upload - saying not allowed to upload attachments of this type. Anyway, I did the flight again with the same results as the pics would show (if I could figure out how to upload them). What a day!Jack

If you load the picture in M$ Paint and then go to File / Save As... then select jpg it'll work - file size is a LOT smaller and when adding to forum use Browse to find the pic - Hit Upload and away you go.Sure we'll get to the bottom of this somehow - frustrating when these things happen... (possibly add a pic including the legs page of the fms too, might help)John Ellison

If you load the picture in M$ Paint and then go to File / Save As... then select jpg it'll work - file size is a LOT smaller and when adding to forum use Browse to find the pic - Hit Upload and away you go.Sure we'll get to the bottom of this somehow - frustrating when these things happen... (possibly add a pic including the legs page of the fms too, might help)John Ellison
John.........Well, I'll give it a shot, but tomorrow. It's 10:30pm here in the Canadian Maritimes.Jack

Markus.....Not a silly question at all. Yes, I did see the LOC on the FMA as well as the Land Armed. I'm not sure how to provide screenshots since I've never done that. What I'll do is to re-fly the tutorial and when I get to that point again hopefully I'll have figured out how to add screen shots. Live and learn as we say.Jack
Markus.........With the help of some new forum "buddies" I've been able to capture screen shots as you requested. I did refly the tutorial but the end results were the same as you will see by the pics. I know I'm doing something wrong but I'm "darned" if I can figure out what.Jack Fentress

Markus.........With the help of some new forum "buddies" I've been able to capture screen shots as you requested. I did refly the tutorial but the end results were the same as you will see by the pics. I know I'm doing something wrong but I'm "darned" if I can figure out what.Jack Fentress
Yes no "Land" indication on the ND?....and way to fast also. Seems you still follow your flightplan. You should be on flaps 28 with gear down when captured the GS. Did you forget to press the Appr/Land when LOC came alive? / Leffe

Jack,Most important item here is your speed.315 kts is the commanded speed, however it is limited by the configuration (gear/slats/flaps)Next time you try this approach,either select a lower speed in the FCPoreven more convenient: select FMS SPDSucces,Harry

Jack,Most important item here is your speed.315 kts is the commanded speed, however it is limited by the configuration (gear/slats/flaps)Next time you try this approach,either select a lower speed in the FCPoreven more convenient: select FMS SPDSucces,Harry
Harry...........As you may have seen in a previous post, I finally succeeded. One of your suggestions was key - FMS speed. After a few "add drag" messages things finally started to go right. Thank you.Jack Fentress

Harry...........As you may have seen in a previous post, I finally succeeded. One of your suggestions was key - FMS speed. After a few "add drag" messages things finally started to go right. Thank you.Jack Fentress
Jack,Many happy landings.Harry