Sign in to follow this  
jagman

FS9 & Vista

Hi All Can anyone please tell me if FS9 and the usual addons work OK under Vista. I'm looking into upgrading my computer to a quad core but I want to stay with FS9 for now. If I'm in for lots of compatibility problems I will save my money.

Guest belga1

Hello,If you read some posts in this forum you will conclude as FS2004 (and common addons paywares or freewares) run very well under Vista.Some have problems but they are minors problems and not directly related to the game .. but instead .. related to some OS settings.Regards.bye.gif

Two suggestions to make using Vista easier:1) Do NOT install FS to the default location, instead install it to a shorter path such as C:\FS9. Vista doesn't like you to fiddle with anything installed in the ..\Program Files folder, and there's a lot of stuff you need to fiddle with, such as new aircraft, gauges, configuration files, etc. :( 2) Once you have it installed, right-click on the Desktop Shortcut Icon and make sure to select "Run As Administrator" on the Advanced tab. Also, select "Disable Desktop Composition" and "Disable visual themes" on the Compatibility tab. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Two suggestions to make using Vista easier:1) Do NOT install FS to the default location, instead install it to a shorter path such as C:\FS9. Vista doesn't like you to fiddle with anything installed in the ..\Program Files folder, and there's a lot of stuff you need to fiddle with, such as new aircraft, gauges, configuration files, etc. :( 2) Once you have it installed, right-click on the Desktop Shortcut Icon and make sure to select "Run As Administrator" on the Advanced tab. Also, select "Disable Desktop Composition" and "Disable visual themes" on the Compatibility tab. :(
Thanks for that......I will follow your advice.I have just ordered a new machine,with Vista installed. I have heard all sorts of horror stories about it and would have preferred XP, but it was not an option.I shall soon find out if the stories are true !

I would also disable UAC. It prevents many useful programs, such as Nhancer, from normal functioning.