Sign in to follow this  
ZippinZim

MD-11 changes my Cruise Altitude

On the last several flights, I enter a flight level into the INIT page of the FMS. This current flight, I entered 350. After ATC clears me to my cruise altitude, I select 35,000 on the MCP and let the autoflight system take me there. Upon reaching FL350, I look at the "PERF" FMS page and it shows a climb page (not a cruise page as you would expect). I go to the INIT page and low and behold, it shows my selected Flight Level as 360, thus I haven't reached my desired flight level in the FMS' mind. This has happened on several occasions (adding 1,000 to my selected cruise level). My first thought was that it was correcting for my direction of flight, but no, I'm flying from ORD-MIA, so it definately should be an odd flight level and not even.Any help on this would be appreciated.Regards,Jeff Zimmerman

This is almost always happens when we overshoot our desired setting on the FCP ALT dial. If you accidently turn to 360 then dial back to 350 odds are the init page now reads 360. The first clue is when you got ATC clearance to 350 and turned the dial to that it appears in white instead of magenta on the FMA above the altitude tape. Fix is to go to init page and change it to 350.

Dan Downs KCRP

This is almost always happens when we overshoot our desired setting on the FCP ALT dial. If you accidently turn to 360 then dial back to 350 odds are the init page now reads 360. The first clue is when you got ATC clearance to 350 and turned the dial to that it appears in white instead of magenta on the FMA above the altitude tape. Fix is to go to init page and change it to 350.
Okay, that makes sense. I use my Go Flight module to dial in the altitude to the MCP. It almost always overshoots it, so I'm confident that's the culprit. Thanks for the info!