Sign in to follow this  
Alba

737NG A/T

Hi Folks.I still cannot get the A/T to arm as per Timothy's tutorial. This is the very first flight and the V speeds are set manually using the SPD REF knob. This is part of the Before Takeoff checks and after the line. It reads...dah dah dah Engine Start Switches..CONT, Autothrottle...ARM except it doesn't. The switch will not toggle but the PFD display flashes briefly.I am assuming that they should arm okay without input from the FMS as that is what the tutorial says. I know that folks have replied to my previous post regarding this but it still does not work. Everything else is as per the checklist up to this point.Any further help appreciated.Regards...Kenps. I installed the 800-900 update but prefer the 600-700 PFD and ND. Is it possible to change back as the update affects all variants.

Hi Folks.I still cannot get the A/T to arm as per Timothy's tutorial. This is the very first flight and the V speeds are set manually using the SPD REF knob. This is part of the Before Takeoff checks and after the line. It reads...dah dah dah Engine Start Switches..CONT, Autothrottle...ARM except it doesn't. The switch will not toggle but the PFD display flashes briefly.I am assuming that they should arm okay without input from the FMS as that is what the tutorial says. I know that folks have replied to my previous post regarding this but it still does not work. Everything else is as per the checklist up to this point.Any further help appreciated.Regards...Kenps. I installed the 800-900 update but prefer the 600-700 PFD and ND. Is it possible to change back as the update affects all variants.
It has been said several times, and perhaps this is the case, that if the ENGINE GENERATORS (overhead panel) are not turned ON after engine start, the A/T will not arm.The engine start switches must be set to CONT only: when entering the RWY for takeoff, or under heavy rain conditions or after been cleared for landing.

I installed the 800-900 update but prefer the 600-700 PFD and ND. Is it possible to change back as the update affects all variants.
It would be very foolish to uninstall the 800-900 update since it fixes quite a few bugs in the original release.

Guest fencer88
Hi Folks.I still cannot get the A/T to arm as per Timothy's tutorial. ....Regards...Kenps. I installed the 800-900 update but prefer the 600-700 PFD and ND. Is it possible to change back as the update affects all variants.
Hi Ken,A couple of questions/points to check.Do you try to engage AT by a mouse click (ie not mapped to a button, in which case you want to make sure you are sending only a single on - or off - command at a time)? Check also the AT command in the PMDG menu. Make sure you are not sending that command by mistake (attributed to another function/device in MSFS). Try to change the command in this menu and see if it worksIf you haven't done it yet, maybe you could try starting from the beginning : ie loading the Cessna default first :- mixture to cut-off- master off- magnetos off....but avionics master ON ! (very important)and then loading the 737or try loading the default PMDG flight.Finally, I don't understand your remark about the 600-700 PFD/ND type (in the PS). Unless I missed something, PFD/ND type is chosen in the PMDG/styles menu and is independant of the NG model selected.Hope this helps. Can't think of anything else at this time. Regards,BrunoPS (Jose Luis). On my system, as long as you have electrical energy (whether by APU GEN or engine driven GENS, or even ground power) the AT switch will work.

Hi Ken,A couple of questions/points to check.Do you try to engage AT by a mouse click (ie not mapped to a button, in which case you want to make sure you are sending only a single on - or off - command at a time)? Check also the AT command in the PMDG menu. Make sure you are not sending that command by mistake (attributed to another function/device in MSFS). Try to change the command in this menu and see if it worksIf you haven't done it yet, maybe you could try starting from the beginning : ie loading the Cessna default first :- mixture to cut-off- master off- magnetos off....but avionics master ON ! (very important)and then loading the 737or try loading the default PMDG flight.Finally, I don't understand your remark about the 600-700 PFD/ND type (in the PS). Unless I missed something, PFD/ND type is chosen in the PMDG/styles menu and is independant of the NG model selected.Hope this helps. Can't think of anything else at this time. Regards,BrunoPS (Jose Luis). On my system, as long as you have electrical energy (whether by APU GEN or engine driven GENS, or even ground power) the AT switch will work.
No need to worry about leaving the avionics master on. I recommend turning everything off. The avionics in the 737NG will power on automatically. I do it all the time. As for the A/T not arming, 99.9% of the time this is due to not turning on the engine driven electrical generators (overhead panel) after engine start, as has been mentioned.

Dave Paige

Guest fencer88
No need to worry about leaving the avionics master on. I recommend turning everything off. The avionics in the 737NG will power on automatically. I do it all the time. As for the A/T not arming, 99.9% of the time this is due to not turning on the engine driven electrical generators (overhead panel) after engine start, as has been mentioned.
Hi Daive,I just made a test and started from the Cessna with avionics OFF (as you said)After loading and starting the NG, I let the APU GEN ON and the engines GENs OFF and did not program the FMS.I was then able to turn on the AT switch, engage TOGA and take off :(Of course, with APU AND ENGINE GENs OFF the AT switch is inoperative. "All right, we'll call it a draw ! ". (King Arthur to Black Knight in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail")Now the weather in Paris is just too nice today, off to real flying !Kind regards,BrunoPS : I would still suggest to Ken to try cycling the Cessna avionics to ON before loading the NG (and to turn the ENG GENS ON after engine start, of course). I certainly won't hurt.

Hi Guys.Thanks for all the info and the heads up regarding the different systems. I have not been at my sim today but I am 99% certain that the engine generators are turned on as per the 'After Starting' checks. However, there is always that 1% and I am the first to admit as a newbie to the 73 that I may have missed something. I will take extra care during my next startup and bear in mind all your advice. I will post back with the results.Regards to all...Ken

Folks.What can I say. Just call me Mr. 1%. Apologies to all. I did miss the engine generators after all. I have been mistaking the engine bleed switches for the generator switches. ( sighs all round ).Thanks for all the advice and help. I appreciate it.Regards...Ken :(