Sign in to follow this  
Azapata87

The newly freeware Garmins are bug-ridden monsters

Goodness gracious, have ya tried getting these things installed and actually working properly? Lockdowns, features don't work, map displays backward, won't couple to the default aircraft panel OBS's as dictated.I have found, however, that my DELETE key still works great, I just tried it out. Hmmm. It's free, there is no support, has a bunch of problems, no fixes in sight. Can you say MICROSOFT :) Yep, I know who bought this progam out, the earmarkings are there.

Guest pez_man

Man am I glad that I bought the Reality-XP GPS instead of this one a couple of weeks ago when it still was payware!!!! :D /fredrik

I'm tempted to try Reality XP, sheesh, there's got to be a GPS add-on someplace that actually works.

http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=178is a forum that will continue to support these products.Getting the Garmins going was tricky when I tried the demos. It is also a complex instrument to master. RTFM is a must.The placement of the Garmin Trainer in a correct folder is required. The order of startup of FS supporting apps and add-ons is critical.I am using Reality-XP FLA Apollo series because I find the GPS gauge, which is installable as a gauge as well as a pop-up, is much more legible and takes less panel space. I also like the fact that it can select after a flight has been cranked up a flight plan saved into the FS myflights folder without using the FS preflight menu to load the plan. This $25 payware product is about to be upgraded. RTFM is still a must here. The FLA line has not caused any simultaneous app conflicts for me.They also have a Garmin 530 that demos well but uses the same Garmin Trainer as a background app. Order of loading background apps is also critical. Again RTFM.For the Reality stuff go to:http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=178for info and limks to working free downloads of some interesting gauges.

Your post begs the question:Did you pay for it, or were you one of the ones that dl'd it after it was released as freeware? If the answer is the latter, then don't assume support is a gimme and don't whine about the problems in a public forum. And don't use the problems as an excuse to take a swipe at Microsoft. The forum moderators have already made their opinion known about Microsoft bashing.I am curious how the people who paid for it found the product? They'd have a legitimate gripe to share here. That said, I'm not much into add-ons like this, but those I get for free, I accept them for the gift that they are. God forbid someone gives me a broken coffee cup at an office X-Mas party. I guess by the philosophy of some who post these types of threads, I'm supposed to send out a broadcast message embarrassing the person? When are these threads going to stop? Even a ten year old should have better class when something is given to them, than that shown in the opening post of this thread.Rant over.

JohnCi said:>Did you pay for it, or were you one of the ones that dl'd it>after it was released as freeware? If the answer is the>latter, then don't assume support is a gimme and don't whine>about the problems in a public forum. >I am curious how the people who paid for it found the product?> They'd have a legitimate gripe to share here. Whether something is given away free or paid for is irrelevant as to the "right" for someone to complain about it if it doesn't work right; should people who >pay< for an add-on not be allowed to praise it if it works right because it's expected to?Even a ten year old should have better class when>something is given to them, than that shown in the opening>post of this thread.>There's an old saying about bashing through suggesting the maturity of another. But I can't remember what it is. So I'll just say that as soon as someone brings up age, maturity, or intelligence of another, it's a sign that they don't have their argument fully under control.By the way, I believe that Microsoft comment was a bit of sarcasm.No offense meant by this; just a bit of logic.

I have my argument fully under control turner, and I'm not offended in the least by your post--I know the point you're trying to make. My point is it matters a great deal whether something is free or not. What the heck has happened to class in our community? Or maybe I should broaden that to our society. Even in the late 70's when I was a young adult, it was considered quite inappropriate to complain about any free handout. Yet that seems to be OK here? Sad day for our community and society when that happens, and yes, it goes to the maturity of those doing the complaining. Maybe when they've lived through as many wars, recessions, and just plain hard times as some of us have, they'll begin to have a clue as to what I'm talking about.The thread here wasn't soliciting help--it was just to bash both the Garmin creators and (whether sarcastic or not) Microsoft.

Do you work for Microsoft, lol? I stand by my original statement that the Garmins are bug-ridden monsters. I for one will try Reality XP, at least the Garmins whetted my appetite for this sort of stuff.

"Do you work for Microsoft, lol?"No--don't even own stock in it.... But I am invested in it as a buyer, and whether FS2002 is a good product or bad product is tied to the credibility of those seeking answers to issues. I think we as a community lost the opportunity for a patch to fix the issues with FS2002 (and there is no one here who can say that Microsoft didn't mess up multiplayer) when Microsoft started peceiving some of the bashing as childish. I frankly feel they didn't care at that point--perhaps gaining the false assumption that the market for FS2002 was dominated by video gamers vs. hobbyists.

I calls em likes I sees em. Byron once said, "With or Without offense to friends or foes, we sketch your world exactly as is goes." Besides, lets look at this realistically. These Garmins weren't orignally freeware they were payware. Someone supposedly bought out the company and then released the software as freeware. Ergo, there is an angle somewhere, although I'm not sure what it is. Somebody, somewhere is going to benefit financially be it Microsoft, Garmin itself or whomever. Folks just don't give away stuff for free out of the goodness of their hearts, that ain't how the world works.Since you are an old dude I would have thought you might have learned this lesson by now. :) "One who fails to point out flaw is complicit in error-making despite his intentions" -Cicero

Since I am an "old" dude as you say it, I don't need to be lectured on how the world works. It generally works best when people like you and I, who disagree, sit down over a couple of these::-beerchug

Oh man! You think Microsoft didn't patch FS2002 because their feelings got hurt? Their design philosophy has ALWAYS been, "we'll fix this is the next version." And how long did it take MS to release the SDKs for FS2002, despite their knowing how much third party add-ons sustain their product? :) You don't work for Microsoft, hmmmm. Are you related to Bill Gates? :)Ok, time for coffee now

Not related to him, but have met him--the day before the '87 stock market crash. I told my friends the day of the crash "Hey--there was this guy I met yesterday who was worth a billion dollars. Today, he's only worth half of that" :)I am no fan of Microsoft...I feel FS2004 is a patch for FS2002. People will say "look at all these great new features" and will completely ignore or dismiss the feature Microsoft quietly patches, or removes from the sim altogether. If you browse enough of my posts in the archives, you'll know I've been trashed for my gripes with Microsoft. But I paid for it, vs. having it given to me. Even the hint that the Garmin release is in part Microsoft's doing is a slander to both parties.

>Goodness gracious, have ya tried getting these things>installed and actually working properly? Lockdowns, features>don't work, map displays backward, won't couple to the default>aircraft panel OBS's as dictated.>>I have found, however, that my DELETE key still works great, I>just tried it out. >>Hmmm. It's free, there is no support, has a bunch of>problems, no fixes in sight. Can you say MICROSOFT :) >Yep, I know who bought this progam out, the earmarkings are>there. Hmm-- seems this thread has turned into a bash between 2 people.Now - to attempt to get some usefull information about these (now) freeware items -- has anybody had any success in installing and running these 2 items ?. At this stage I have not bothered with the large downloads as I am still on a steep learning curve with many pther Fsim related things.Methinks that the original poster will need to ensure that he has both read and understood the manual -- otherwise he will look pretty silly over his rant. At this stage , I find it a little difficult to believe that these items are as buggy as he claims. Time will tell.So lets have a few useful postings in this thread.Thanks Barry

Read the help file, cover to cover, yep. There are bugs my dear friend. The GPS isn't difficult to learn at all it's just maybe too big of a program not to have inherent problems. Heck, download it yourself and try it, maybe it will work for you who knows.